Dale Weise on the Trade Block?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Weird rumour. I doubt many GMs where thinking "no point even acquiring about Dale Weise, no way he'll be available..." *you've got mail* "...jack pot!"

No point trading him for a low round draft pick, he's worth more sitting in the press box as injury insurance. And he won't get more than that on his own. Even Weise + 2nd isn't going to return anything that really upgrades us.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
I wouldn't mind seeing Weise going if it means we can have
Sestito Lain Archibald
As our 4th line.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
What I read in this thread:

"I want a retool/reboot/rebuild/relegation/reform but so help me God they better not trade a 4th liner who does adequately performs his job! Keep Weise, ditch Edler/Sedins/Kesler! That's how winning is done!"

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Weird rumour. I doubt many GMs where thinking "no point even acquiring about Dale Weise, no way he'll be available..." *you've got mail* "...jack pot!"

No point trading him for a low round draft pick, he's worth more sitting in the press box as injury insurance. And he won't get more than that on his own. Even Weise + 2nd isn't going to return anything that really upgrades us.

:laugh:

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
MG wants to deal Wiese for a pick because he probably won't even QO him in the offseason. Better to get a pick from someone than to just let him walk.

Who the hell cares about our 4th line?

And it probably was just a method to get the phones ringing...

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Good riddance. He's got a ****** attitude. Kind of a baby. When asked about getting waived from New York he said something along the lines of "I don't like the way Torts does things, not everybody responds to that". Then this year he was scratched and he came up with "you don't know how hard it is to be physical all the time when you play so little".

Full of excuses, doesn't take ownership. Baby.

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
What I read in this thread:

"I want a retool/reboot/rebuild/relegation/reform but so help me God they better not trade a 4th liner who does adequately performs his job! Keep Weise, ditch Edler/Sedins/Kesler! That's how winning is done!"

Bingo. Kind of shocked at the response to trading such a marginal player. The 4th line sucking was an issue when the Top 9 was pretty well established. Now the Top 6 isn't even established, a much bigger issue then the 4th line.

Weise is only 25, and he's shown he can play at the NHL level (albeit not consistently enough). I would think that he probably does hold a reasonable amount of value for a 4th liner. As I stated earlier in the thread, Gillis's reclamation project fetish seems to fit this rumour quite well.

Team dumps underperforming Forward A with a 2M+ contract to Vancouver, receives a young 4th liner who has room to grow still, at a cheap price.

It's not pretty, but I really don't think Gillis is going to blow up the prospect pool. This move brings in a (hopefully) Top 9 forward.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah, I can see Sestito - Lain - Archibald as our main 4th line starting now. Since we don't have a 3rd line center, Richardson probably won't be moved down anytime soon and with Santorelli gone, the Canucks are looking dry.

The 4th line has a lot of potential. When's the last time you have 2 guys over 6'5. If they play physical, it'll be one of the meanest lines in the NHL.

But valuewise, Weise alone is like a 7th, or at best 6th rounder. He was waived not too long ago and has seen several games in the box. Doesn't win fights and isn't constantly physical. He seems like a team player, but does whine a bit too much.

I remember him talking bad about Torts before he can here. One of the only guys to bad mouth him.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Good riddance. He's got a ****** attitude. Kind of a baby. When asked about getting waived from New York he said something along the lines of "I don't like the way Torts does things, not everybody responds to that". Then this year he was scratched and he came up with "you don't know how hard it is to be physical all the time when you play so little".

Full of excuses, doesn't take ownership. Baby.

This.

I'm almost certain Weise is on the block because he's looking for a new team. It's very clear that Weise has a high opinion of himself and is prone to reverting to Dutch Gretzky mode. Unfortunately, this team doesn't need Dale Weise the Dutch Gretzky. This team needs Dale Weise the fourth liner who plays smart, responsible, physical hockey. As a result of the player and coach/GM having difference in opinion, Weise is being traded. It's essentially a Johnny Malkin situation.

It's a shame. I like Weise and I think he's a very good fourth line player who can fill in on the third line from time to time.

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
What's with all the Weise hate? He's on pace for around 20 points as a 4th liner, fights willingly, skates really fast, plays physical: i.e. a perfect fourth liner.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
What's with all the Weise hate? He's on pace for around 20 points as a 4th liner, fights willingly, skates really fast, plays physical: i.e. a perfect fourth liner.

Yup, I don't get the hate. I think he's a player that GM's around the league would be interested in.

But also the type of player that Gillis isn't going to get a lot of headlines for making available. So he'll get some phone calls, which may lead to more..

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Yup, I don't get the hate. I think he's a player that GM's around the league would be interested in.

But also the type of player that Gillis isn't going to get a lot of headlines for making available. So he'll get some phone calls, which may lead to more..

These are my thoughts. Like I said ealier, I think there will be a few teams willing to take a flier on him. Perhaps someone who is play-off bound has a hole on their 4th line to fill -- that's not entirely unrealistic; that was us for all of recent memory.

To trade Wiese would be dealing from a position of strength, as odd as it may seem. We have Lain, who is proving to be a serviceable 4th liner, and we have Archibald in Utica.

If MG can get a 5th rounder for him, I'd be pretty happy with that.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Yes, lets trade more offense away and replace em with plugs. That will help. How can people actually be upset about a 4th liner thats scoring at the same or better pace than Kassian and Hansen.. amazing.

To hell with a late pick, we need depth, zero reason to trade him.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Yes, lets trade more offense away and replace em with plugs. That will help. How can people actually be upset about a 4th liner thats scoring at the same or better pace than Kassian and Hansen.. amazing.

To hell with a late pick, we need depth, zero reason to trade him.

He'll be replaced next year. Wiese won't make or break the team this year.

Might as well MANAGE ASSETS.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Weise isn't a problem on the team. In fact, the 4rth line has been one of the few bright spots in recent games. Weise has been a good 4rth line player. Better than archibald who hasn't impressed at this level.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
To me this just shows how out of touch Gillis is with the talent he has. Dale Weise is being shopped as if he has any value? Wow.

Yeah, imagine that, Gillis checks to see if anyone wants to trade for Weise before he puts him on waivers. What a terrible GM. Hopefully this costs Gillis is job.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I liked Arch in his first stint. His second was a bit disappointing.

I was actually really happy with Welsh up here - though he did a great job along the boards.

No points in Utica, though :/ That's a puzzler.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
He'll be replaced next year. Wiese won't make or break the team this year.

Might as well MANAGE ASSETS.

His job might be replaced, but his production probably won't. Nobody we have on the farm is any better. All around the same age, and none of em are close to what Weise put up in the AHL.

Having a good 4th line can make or break a team. We won a SCF game on a Lappy goal. It all counts. Weise has a few game winning points for us, the playoff race will be tight. Every point is important, he can step up his game when the time calls for it. Not worth it to lose him at this point, even if he's gone in the offseason.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
To me this just shows how out of touch Gillis is with the talent he has. Dale Weise is being shopped as if he has any value? Wow.

But he's the Danish Gretzky! I bet Gillis also emailed out that vid of him leaving his league over there. Didn't they chant MVP? :laugh:

I like Weise though. He fights for this team and is pretty decent. Oh well, I'm sure Gillis will be disappointed when he doesn't get his Top-6 that he is hoping for.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
His job might be replaced, but his production probably won't. Nobody we have on the farm is any better. All around the same age, and none of em are close to what Weise put up in the AHL.

Having a good 4th line can make or break a team. We won a SCF game on a Lappy goal. It all counts. Weise has a few game winning points for us, the playoff race will be tight. Every point is important, he can step up his game when the time calls for it. Not worth it to lose him at this point, even if he's gone in the offseason.

I would agree with you if this year didn't already look like an utter flop.

And I REALLY don't see Wiese being on the team next year.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I would agree with you if this year didn't already look like an utter flop.

And I REALLY don't see Wiese being on the team next year.

You also shouldn't have to sit a 4th liner in order motivate them to play better. The reality is that many AHL players have the same potential as Weise without the numbers. It's not a linear progression. There's a boat load of guys who would dream of playing 3 minutes a game in his role.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
You also shouldn't have to sit a 4th liner in order motivate them to play better. The reality is that many AHL players have the same potential as Weise without the numbers. It's not a linear progression. There's a boat load of guys who would dream of playing 3 minutes a game in his role.

Yea, I agree.

And like I've said, I was quite pleased with Welsh, and Arch's first showing here was stellar. Lain has been a pleasant surprise, but I wouldn't be shocked by another year for him in Utica.

Even Dalpe has turned a corner, which is positive to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad