Dale Weise on the Trade Block?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The Canucks likely feel they can replace him with Archibald.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
He shouldn't. Nobody on earth would trade for him. There might only be a couple teams that would take him on waivers at this point.

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Weise for Rene bourque

Not totally on board with this but I can definitely see Gillis taking on another reclamation project at a higher cap hit for Weise+low pick. It puts a Top 9 forward on the team, brings in Archibald to replace Weise.

I don't agree that it's the best move for the team but if he's not going to move one of the D or prospects/picks for offensive support, might as well try something.

Anyone other than Bourque come to mind?

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I like the way Weise has been playing lately.
I have no problem with him on our 4th line, doubt we could get anything better in return, so why trade him? At this point, he is certainly better than Archibald, Lain or any other young replacements.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I'm not sure the team's in a position to be trading anyone who has all their bones and labrums intact at this point.

And also he has no value whatsoever.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
The Canucks likely feel they can replace him with Archibald.

This is a week old, but I guess now you can add Lain to his possible replacements.

He's been played pretty decent in Nashville. Wiese has been needing kicks in the pants all season long - but it works each time.

As for value, I really don't think you'll get much for Wiese. Maybe a cup-contender with one slot open on their 4th line will overpay with a mid-round pick (4th? 5th?). Someone else might take a flier on him with a 7th?

At least he's an RFA...

Betamax*

I like Weise, trading him for a 5/6th seems illogical.

The logic is that at least you get something for him and it creates a roster spot for someone else e.g. a Schroeder, Jensen or Archibald (for a similar type player).

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The logic is that at least you get something for him and it creates a roster spot for someone else e.g. a Schroeder, Jensen or Archibald (for a similar type player).

Schroeder already has a roster spot with Santorelli currently injured. Weise plays more than any 4th liner on our team, has been on the ice for the most goals for, and the least goals against among 4th liners on our team and draws as many penalties as he takes (huge for a player in his role) Seems like an ideal 4th liner to me.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Add to him and get Matthias. Or trade him for a failing prospect, someone that may soon be on waivers, like LeBlanc in MTL (next year). MTL probably gets more utility out of Weise than it looks like they ever will with LeBlanc.

Edit: Unlikely he gets placed on waivers with the amount of injuries this team has suffered.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I believe this was an option to get something for a roster spot before injuries happened. At least he's getting some points...

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Not totally on board with this but I can definitely see Gillis taking on another reclamation project at a higher cap hit for Weise+low pick. It puts a Top 9 forward on the team, brings in Archibald to replace Weise.

Anyone other than Bourque come to mind?

That's really the only thing I see gillis doing, I don't really see the point in moving him for a 6th rounder....

*on second thought bourque has been awful, but a reclamation project like him is a likely return.

* what bleach clean said.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Eh. Hard to imagine he has much in the way of trade value. He's probably worth more to us than whatever he would garner in a return (if anything, I think he'd be more likely to get placed on waivers)

Wetcoaster

Schroeder already has a roster spot with Santorelli currently injured. Weise plays more than any 4th liner on our team, has been on the ice for the most goals for, and the least goals against among 4th liners on our team and draws as many penalties as he takes (huge for a player in his role) Seems like an ideal 4th liner to me.
But Weise needs to show more pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence... amirite??? ;)

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
Weise has been one of the best 4th liners I can remember having on the team. Shame to see him go, but if it makes the team better fine by me.

I am sure Gillis is scrambling to find any way at all to bring in a goal-scorer - but I don't see how trading weise will make that happen. Maybe get a pick and use it in another trade. Trade market seems very dry this year.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Weise, as stated above, is one of the best 4th liners this team has had in recent memory. Remember, Hordichuk, Johnson, Rypien (RIP, he could fight but not play defense), and so on.

The problem with Weise is that he disappears for long stretches, which isn't the worst thing for a 4th liner, but he could play better. He has to get benched or something to pick it up and play hard for the next stretch of games until he dogs it again. I wouldn't be surprised if them saying this publicly was just a message to step it up, it's not like Weise was ever not available.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
To me this just shows how out of touch Gillis is with the talent he has. Dale Weise is being shopped as if he has any value? Wow.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
don't see the point at all of moving Weise. He has been solid in his role, isn't worth anything on the trade market, and could still be an asset as an extra forward if we are able to add better talent to this team.

Rather have Weise in a 12/13 role than Dalpe as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad