Confirmed with Link: DAL trades Derek Roy to VAN for 2nd R '13/Kevin Connauton

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I was higher on Connauton in the past than I am now. I did have a sneaking suspicion that's who we'd end up with if we traded with Vancouver.

It's not a very impressive return, but Connauton still addresses a gap in the system. The fact remains that we have no one who can run a PP. Before the Morrow trade we had no prospects to do so. Now we have 2 prospects who could conceivably grow into that role in the near future. Our chances that one of those will work out just went up.

Perhaps more encouragingly, we found a way to not give up one of our own picks in this deal. :laugh:

The 2nd is decent too. It'll be fairly low yeah, but there are Devin Shores available to be picked there.

Still kind of frustrating though that they really didn't come out ahead when it came to cashing in the Ott chip. You have to think Ott could've returned something similar to this a year ago at least.

As for Derek Roy... what an irrelevant footnote you'll be in Stars history.

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I was higher on Connauton in the past than I am now. I did have a sneaking suspicion that's who we'd end up with if we traded with Vancouver.

It's not a very impressive return, but Connauton still address a gap in the system. The fact remains that we have no one who can run a PP. Before the Morrow trade we had no prospects to do so. Now we have 2 prospects who could conceivably grow into that role in the near future. Our chances that one of those will work out just went up.

Perhaps more encouragingly, we found a way to not give up one of our own picks in this deal. :laugh:

The 2nd is decent too. It'll be fairly low yeah, but there are Devin Shores available to be picked there.

Still kind of frustrating though that they really didn't come out ahead when it came to cashing in the Ott chip. You have to think Ott could've returned something similar to this a year ago at least.

As for Derek Roy... what an irrelevant footnote you'll be in Stars history.

Doesn't Bystrom do this?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I mean more guys who could theoretically contribute at the NHL level in the near future in that regard. Bystrom could do that way down the line.

Bkennedy*

When players look for a player like Roy, they're looking for a rental, so they look at recent success.

B. Morrow is a better player than D. Roy this year, that's why he brought more.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
I thought this trade was fine. Roy had next to no value to the Stars with his outlandish contract demands, and that obviously hurt his value around the league as well.

I mean what Dallas has basically done here is trade 13 games of Derek Roy and Jaromir Jagr for whatever they could get from the few teams that had a legitimate shot at the cup and were interested in bringing in those guys. I don't have a problem with it except that people seem to think that we could have gotten a better return. I'll be interested to see what other trades happen so we can determine if that is true.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Don't forget that Joe miraculously made a west coast trade. Probably means everyone on the east coast was less than enthused by the prospect of trading for Derek Roy. Maybe Chicago thought the price was too high and somehow thought it was a good idea to get Handzus instead.

JonnyCash

Sep 28, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks fan here:

K-con has been an exciting prospect ever since he made the move into the WHL and went PPG+ on the giants.

I personally believe he will be a late bloomer - the only thing that is holding him back right now, is his defensive abilities. For his mold (great size, vision and shot) if he can tame his D he will be an awesome 30-40PT dman in the NHL some day.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
So, since I'm the optimist here, a few years from now we could roll with all homegrown D (besides Goose)

Oleksiak-Morrow
Dillon-Goose
Connauton-Daley

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
No one over 25:

Oleksiak-Morrow
Connauton-Dillon
Nemeth-Larsen

Aww yea.

Daydreaming aside, you can kind of see what Joe is doing here. Get some offensive D to play next to our giant homegrown defensive rocks.

Verbal Kint

Oct 9, 2007
I mean what Dallas has basically done here is trade 13 games of Derek Roy and Jaromir Jagr for whatever they could get from the few teams that had a legitimate shot at the cup and were interested in bringing in those guys. I don't have a problem with it except that people seem to think that we could have gotten a better return. I'll be interested to see what other trades happen so we can determine if that is true.

This.

I'm excited that they finally have a firesale going, getting those young players and picks, and not getting their hopes high in terms of this season anymore.

It will be interesting draft and certainly interesting future for this team. I would say that they did a good effort last summer with those veteran picks, however it didn't work out for whatever reason (Gulutzan, chemistry, lack of talent and stability in D, you name it). Now they finally can start from a clean table with some veteran depth (Whitney, Cole, Daley, Lehtonen) in the lineup as well. Maybe get couple of UFA:s in the summer too.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
If you want to get REALLY optimistic

Jones - Oleksiak
Morrow - Dillon
Goose - Daley
Nemeth/Connauton/Larsen/Bystrom/Sinitsyn/Jokipakka

:sarcasm:

7ilbs39slr-jordan_ooh_face.gif

Look at that top pair and ALL DEM TRADE CHIPS

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
From someone who watched Connauton regularly in the AHL: you have a project on your hands but with a possibility of great rewards if things go just right.

The biggest problem for Connauton is that he's only truly a positive factor for 15-20 games a year. He has a big shot but he's not a puck moving D, more of a puck rushing one (and even then not the best at it). He does play physical and skates pretty well. He needs to keep developing his other offensive tools outside of his shot. His hockey IQ and decision making are suspect (at best). He's at his best when he's trying to push the pace, taking risks, etc.

In the games that he's truly on he can be a very good player and can control the game at the AHL level but then he'll go on a streak of 20 games where you wish he wasn't even on your team. I think some consideration should be given to having him play wing but that's just my opinion.

Brand New Stars

When players look for a player like Roy, they're looking for a rental, so they look at recent success.

B. Morrow is a better player than D. Roy this year, that's why he brought more.

No. He brought more because of our last playoff run and the Olympics. He's not better than Roy despite Roy not being very impressive.

Bkennedy*

No. He brought more because of our last playoff run and the Olympics. He's not better than Roy despite Roy not being very impressive.

If I have a team full of young superstars and want to make a cup run, I prefer B Morrow.

TravisSSII

Feb 6, 2013
No one over 25:

Oleksiak-Morrow
Connauton-Dillon
Nemeth-Larsen

Aww yea.

Daydreaming aside, you can kind of see what Joe is doing here. Get some offensive D to play next to our giant homegrown defensive rocks.

Now lets use the 10.5M we just freed, and get a scoring Center tomorrow :)

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
I was higher on Connauton in the past than I am now.

It's not a very impressive return, but Connauton still addresses a gap in the system. The fact remains that we have no one who can run a PP. Before the Morrow trade we had no prospects to do so. Now we have 2 prospects who could conceivably grow into that role in the near future. Our chances that one of those will work out just went up.

agreed. stock up on the offensive dman assets and hope a couple of them blossom into legitimate nhl-ers. in the future, let oleksiak and dillon eat up the tough minutes while morrow and/or connauton show their offensive flair.

and reading more about where connauton is currently in his development, he seemingly projects to a joe corvo-type of player.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
for all the downers, also consider that dallas' 4th ranked prospect is someone like faksa, chiasson, ritchie, fraser, or stransky. getting someone like that in addition to a 2nd rounder isn't bad at all. not totally an apples-to-apples comparison, but provides a different way to look at things. glass half full.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
One thing to consider Dallas fans is that KConn did win the hardest slapshot in the skills comp last year. He may be just a latebloomer, not the best defensively but can skate.

Defence can be learned, as for a hard shot, well either you have it or you dont.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Decent return. Connauton will never be anything special, but we could've done worse.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
One thing to consider Dallas fans is that KConn did win the hardest slapshot in the skills comp last year. He may be just a latebloomer, not the best defensively but can skate.

Defence can be learned, as for a hard shot, well either you have it or you dont.

That's actually cool to know. Morrow and KConn can both bomb it. Feel bad for anybody Texas plays now!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad