Confirmed with Link: DAL trades Derek Roy to VAN for 2nd R '13/Kevin Connauton

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Did everyone see the Pominville return-first second backup goalie and prospect-Is he that much better than Roy-no

MTL fans are saying they offered Eller and afirst-goes to show about Joe

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Did everyone see the Pominville return-first second backup goalie and prospect-Is he that much better than Roy-no

Minnesota gave up a lot for Pommes, but he's signed for another year and probably will be willing to extend in Minnesota. Esp if they let Bouchard and Cullen walk next year, plus Heatley the year after.

I think they're pretty well set up for the next couple years now.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Pominville is signed for another season, is better offensively and defensively than Roy, brings more grit and leadership than Roy, and doesn't have the injury problems Roy has.

Comparing the two trades is beyond stupid. The only players that returned significant assets are locked up for a while.

MetalGodAOD*

MTL definitely didn't offer Eller and a 1st for Roy. Come on, use your head.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX

Yeah I am sure Joe just turned down Eller and a 1st just cuz amirite lolz

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

aloonda*

someone said almost halfjokingly about kcon making a transition to forward----can anyone remember any attempts at doing such that ended up ok?

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
someone said almost halfjokingly about kcon making a transition to forward----can anyone remember any attempts at doing such that ended up ok?
Dustin Byfuglien - Well he plays D all the time now, but he used to be a winger too I believe.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Burns just recently.

A lot of players did it when they were younger, too.

aloonda*

the sharks moving their big d man to forward seems to be working out well for them

?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I don't see how it can hurt to experiment with the kid at forward if he has an NHL level shot but not NHL defense. He at least has good size, unlike MA Bergeron who is a bit of a pip-squeak.

piqued

easy game
Nov 22, 2006
The Stars need defenders, not forwards. A player like that automatically loses value if they're not providing offense from the back-end. You do everything you can first to try to help him make it as a D. You've got a kid who's close to making the hardest leap of his career and all of a sudden you're going to throw a whole new set of responsibilities at him and change his very identity as a hockey player? Not to mention the adjustment he's already having to make to a new organization. Sounds like setting him up for failure. That kind of a move should be either a last resort or something you do with an established NHLer if you feel like that's how they can best help your team.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I should have clarified, I meant that should be a last resort. The reports from a number of people who have watched him play in the AHL have called his defense below average. I agree that you should help him succeed as a defender as much as possible but I also realize that if his defense is truly not up to legitimate NHL quality, i.e. can he get 15 minutes on a contender, then I don't see the harm in experimenting at that point.

However, I disagree that we don't need forwards. This team needs everything except a goaltender. It's not as if we're lighting up the scoreboard most nights.

aloonda*

That kind of a move should be either a last resort or something you do with an established NHLer if you feel like that's how they can best help your team.

Agree on the timing. It's nice to have options because your organization is stockpiled and overflowing with young defense though.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
However, I disagree that we don't need forwards. This team needs everything except a goaltender. It's not as if we're lighting up the scoreboard most nights.

I disagree. Our top 6 is very solid. The thing is that they need a good defense behind them. Having a D like our current one is terrible on a forwards psyche, as they think they have to get deeper in the zone to help out their defenseman. Also, if a scoring line is pinned down in the defensive zone due to inability to clear the puck, they'll usually be forced to dump and change to a lesser unit. That results in wasted ice time and less offensive zone time.
On the flip side, if you have a good defense that can get the puck out on a regular basis, you will see forwards stop going deep into the zone, therefore getting more of a jump on their attack. Also, you will see more offensive zone time for your scoring players. So basically, it's a couple simple equations-

Offense-defense= forwards staying back more often= less goals= greater chance of defeat

Offense+defense= forwards attacking quicker and with often occurrence= more goals= greater chance of victory

Of course, the only way this is relevant to Connauton is if he's good enough defensively to hold down bottom pairing duty and keep his assignments in check. If he isn't good enough to do that, than this whole discussion is moot regarding him.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I disagree. Our top 6 is very solid. The thing is that they need a good defense behind them. Having a D like our current one is terrible on a forwards psyche, as they think they have to get deeper in the zone to help out their defenseman. Also, if a scoring line is pinned down in the defensive zone due to inability to clear the puck, they'll usually be forced to dump and change to a lesser unit. That results in wasted ice time and less offensive zone time.
On the flip side, if you have a good defense that can get the puck out on a regular basis, you will see forwards stop going deep into the zone, therefore getting more of a jump on their attack. Also, you will see more offensive zone time for your scoring players. So basically, it's a couple simple equations-

Offense-defense= forwards staying back more often= less goals= greater chance of defeat

Offense+defense= forwards attacking quicker and with often occurrence= more goals= greater chance of victory

Of course, the only way this is relevant to Connauton is if he's good enough defensively to hold down bottom pairing duty and keep his assignments in check. If he isn't good enough to do that, than this whole discussion is moot regarding him.

I'm not really sure how you get to this conclusion now. Pre trades I would have agreed with you, but now that Roy and Jagr are gone without replacement the forward group has a huge hole at 2C. I'm not sold on Eakin to be that guy, and it is still too soon to expect Chiasson/Fraser/Smith to play a bona fide top 6 role at a solid NHL level. I think the current group has not fallen completely apart, partly because there is no more pressure to win, and that might fool some fans into forgetting that the Stars on paper have a bottom 3rd top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->