Dahlin what?

Pick your best option

• Sign 4 years at $10.5M

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Sign 5 years at $11M

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Trade him now (Zegras, Drysdale and a pick)

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Trade him this summer

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Offer him 8 years at $13.5M

Votes: 28 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Toronto’s problem was never the money it gave to the young core guys, it was the $11m they gave to Tavares.
That wasn’t even what I was talking about, nor anything close to the point I was making or addressing. Learn some reading comprehension, or try harder or something.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
"He played with injuries" - Excuses. In fact, it could be cause for concern if it becomes a pattern.

Whether he did or not sorry you don't get a free pass if you are injured for 20 games. Part of being the best maintaining the best play through an 82 game schedule in the NHL you don't get to use excuses to be the best.

Tim Connolly could have been one of the best. He was a magician with the puck before his injuries especially in the 05-06 season he was crushing in in the payoffs and was only 24 before his concussion but injuries kept him from reaching his full potential. Thats the way injuries work. Now he is remembered as just another player.

I am not saying Dahlin is Tim Connolly but if Dahlin is going to be injured for 20 games every year or have stretches where he plays bad then he wont be considered the best.

I think he might have won the Norris for the first 40 games last year but again, you got to do it for 82 games.

EDIT: Would I make him the highest paid defenseman in the league? Yes, but only if he signs for 8 years. 8x11 or 8x12 but then you are paying for potential and it could come back to bit you in the ass. Last year was his first season where he really stepped so we are paying for an 82 game Dahlin not 60.
The injury is not an excuse, it shows his high level, that even with the injury he ended up being better than Makar and Hamilton. And better than Fox and EK 65 in some components.

Dahlin has missed almost no games due to injury in recent seasons, where did you see Connolly there? He doesn't look like an injury-prone player who misses a lot of games.

11 million is not the highest paid defender in the league. Either way, Dahlin will get a good contract from Adams because he deserves it. I said everything.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The injury is not an excuse, it shows his high level, that even with the injury he ended up being better than Makar and Hamilton. And better than Fox and EK 65 in some components.

Dahlin has missed almost no games due to injury in recent seasons, where did you see Connolly there? He doesn't look like an injury-prone player who misses a lot of games.

11 million is not the highest paid defender in the league. Either way, Dahlin will get a good contract from Adams because he deserves it. I said everything.
He was definitely not better than Makar, Fox or Karlsson when he was injured.

You have some serious sabres(or swedish)bias going on. Watch his play on February and March when the sabres went like 3-11. It wasn't just injuries. He played poorly.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

You have some serious sabres(or swedish)bias going on. Watch his play on February and March when the sabres went like 3-11. It wasn't just injuries. He played poorly.
But I’m not talking about this period, but if we take the whole season. I have provided the facts and I'm tired of repeating, that his overall metrics for the season were very good and he was among the top 3 - top 5 defensemen in the NHL. Because other defenders also didn’t have a perfect season, they also had bad games and periods. You simply ignore the facts and continue to tell me about a 20-game stretch.

I have nothing to do with the Swedes or Sweden and everyone on these boards knows it. Yes, I like Dahlin as a player, but I also like Thompson, Tuch and others, but some people simply underestimate how important he is to the team.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

He was better in February and March than Makar was in the 22 games he missed last season

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
He was better in February and March than Makar was in the 22 games he missed last season
Too bad it's not a contract year for him. Colorado could use that in negotiations.

I am not sure what your point is since Makar is already signed and on a sweet deal

No way Dahlin is signing for 9 million a season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would find it hard to see them go to 14.5% of cap like EK's deal was or the 13.8% for Doughty's. Something around Fox (11.66%) or Makar (11.04%) seem more ballpark. If he is higher (say 12% of cap), it would be $10.2M AAV.

Reactions: Bendium

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I would find it hard to see them go to 14.5% of cap like EK's deal was or the 13.8% for Doughty's. Something around Fox (11.66%) or Makar (11.04%) seem more ballpark. If he is higher (say 12% of cap), it would be $10.2M AAV.

I agree here. 10. vs 12 doesn't seem like much in the grand scheme of things, but within the cap era, it is difficult to build a contender with a 23 man roster and a lot of high ticket contracts.

The ELCs in the middle six can be a source of insulation from the cap, but you need a couple of difference makers in the bottom six (historically speaking) to reach the next level. They wont be cheap, so Adams should be penny pinching anywhere he can to accumulate enough cap for that purpose.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yes there are statistics to confirm who is the best it's called the Norris Trophy.

Adams - We want people who want to be here. Dahlin here is an 8 year contract!

Dahlin - Woooa hold up now.....
The Norris trophy is certainly not a stat nor an objective measure of who the best dman is. It's just the majority opinion of the hockey writers who vote for it.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don’t think that framing works for a couple reasons

1) Dahlin’s contract situation.

Makar -> 6yrs @ 9mil (4 RFA/2 UFA)
Fox —> 7yrs @ 9.5mil (3 RFA/4 UFA)
Any deal Dahlin signs for 8yrs (1 RFA/7 UFA)

On an 8yr deal, Makar/Fox would have easily gotten 10mil AAV. had he gone to 8yr. Makar possibly more (10-11mil).

2) Dahlin has more leverage than Makar/Fox did, arguably a lot more.

The UFA years difference is certainly a big part of that. But so is the very different economic circumstances o the NHL. Makar/Fox signed their extension in 2021 in the thick of the flat cap situation. It’s taken 3 more seasons (including this one) for it to play out. But its imapct for thsoe 3 years is to out a drag on salary growth with the limited cap space. But right now we already have estimates of a 92mil or so cap two season from now. Very different world. One more in line with the one that got Doughty and Karlsson their deals.

Dahlin signing 8x10 under these circumstances and with that leverage is effectively taking less than Makar/Fox. He’d be leaving money on the table and I can’t see his agent being on board with that. Not unless (he) Dahlin wants to give a discount.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fjordy

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
It's cherry picking certain players to support what you desire.

Dahlins agent can cherry pick S.Jones or Nurse or Werenski and correctly state that has guy is worth significantly more.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
A bit off topic: there is a few posts in here were people refering to another poster without quoting them. Its a bit hard to read or follow, so if you would be so kind to quote said posters, thx :)

For example:

It's cherry picking certain players to support what you desire.

Dahlins agent can cherry pick S.Jones or Nurse or Werenski and correctly state that has guy is worth significantly more.
To whom are you replying?

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I like Adams a lot; and overall with his leadership, communication, vision, patience, drafting.

I honestly think he's been somewhat of a godsend to set this team on track. (maybe godsend is slight hyperbole.)

The only trade I really didn't like was the Montour trade which I posted here expressing my displeasure.

3rd not enough, but that's a minor thing.

I do think Adams' biggest mistake is not locking up Dahlin 8 yrs. while he could like I and many others on this board were saying.

That cap space might be the difference between having an elite team or a CHAMPIONSHIP team. We just have so many young guys to sign and every mil counts.

Hopefully it's not the team's downfall.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I like Adams a lot; and overall with his leadership, communication, vision, patience, drafting.

I honestly think he's been somewhat of a godsend to set this team on track. (maybe godsend is slight hyperbole.)

The only trade I really didn't like was the Montour trade which I posted here expressing my displeasure.

3rd not enough, but that's a minor thing.

I do think Adams' biggest mistake is not locking up Dahlin 8 yrs. while he could like I and many others on this board were saying.

That cap space might be the difference between having an elite team or a CHAMPIONSHIP team. We just have so many young guys to sign and every mil counts.

Hopefully it's not the team's downfall.
When should he have signed him to an 8 year deal? They couldn't start official talks, or sign a deal, until 7/1/2023.

And Adams talked to Dahlin's agent (and Power's agent) about new deals for both of them.

If the length of the deal is the sticking point, I do not believe that Dahlin and his agent was ever really open to an 8 year deal.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
When should he have signed him to an 8 year deal? They couldn't start official talks, or sign a deal, until 7/1/2023.

And Adams talked to Dahlin's agent (and Power's agent) about new deals for both of them.

If the length of the deal is the sticking point, I do not believe that Dahlin and his agent was ever really open to an 8 year deal.
Before the bridge

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Nah, it’s exactly the point your comment made, but whatever. Go off, I guess.
No it wasn’t - you can’t possibly be serious.

I was making the point that $3M in cap space isn’t a trivial amount - and suggested that he ask a cap-strapped team like Toronto how nice it would’ve been to have an extra $3m laying around at the deadline. It would’ve made all the difference.

If you are triggered by the Toronto example and can’t see my point because of Toronto, just substitute another team in there - the Wild or Tampa or Vegas.

You’re so trigger happy to criticize someone that you don’t even take the time to understand what they’re saying before responding. Try harder when you post.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

I was making the point that $3M in cap space isn’t a trivial amount - and suggested that he ask a cap-strapped team like Toronto how nice it would’ve been to have an extra $3m laying around at the deadline. It would’ve made all the difference.

If you are triggered by the Toronto example and can’t see my point because of Toronto, just substitute another team in there - the Wild or Tampa or Vegas.

You’re so trigger happy to criticize someone that you don’t even take the time to understand what they’re saying before responding. Try harder when you post.
Wait you insulted him first and you’re the one mad?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Or maybe you could try clearly saying what you mean to say and not something else?

You in a thread about Dahlin’s next contract: 13m v. 10m matters, ask Toronto.

Me: Toronto’s issue wasn’t paying 3m too much to its comparable young stars, it was giving 4x that to an older UFA they didn’t need.

You: *hurt feelings for no apparent reason*

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
My understanding is Dahlin is just waiting until he's back in Buffalo to sign. No, he's waiting until camp. I got it. He's waiting until the opener. Next up? He'll sign before the trade deadline. Know it.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
At this point just give him 5x10.5, effectively puts him in the same category as Fox and Makar’s contract with 4 UFA years and ties him for 2nd in D AAV

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
My understanding is Dahlin is just waiting until he's back in Buffalo to sign. No, he's waiting until camp. I got it. He's waiting until the opener. Next up? He'll sign before the trade deadline. Know it.
its this social media "insiders" a la Chad who are constantly guessing and failing.
Maybe certain PR people around the team or from the agents side are feeding them some information but its more to create a certain kind of narrative than actually newsworthy legit info.
What they are doing looks to me more like fortune telling than actual journalism.
They will eventually get something right but overall its just hit and miss guess work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad