Dahlin what?

Pick your best option

• Sign 4 years at $10.5M

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Sign 5 years at $11M

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Trade him now (Zegras, Drysdale and a pick)

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Trade him this summer

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Offer him 8 years at $13.5M

Votes: 28 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Andrew Peters stated he heard Dahlin wanted 4 years at $11M.

So let's say Dahlin is willing to holdout from training camp next year to get what he wants. He is willing to give a little bit in term or money. $11M for 5 years or $10.5M for 4 years.

What do you do?

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I really think it's as simple as Dahlin wants to have the option to negotiate a new contract sooner than later because the cap is going to start increasing and this could be his career defining contract. I say show some good faith and sign him to the term he wants. We have lost enough star players.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
I really think it's as simple as Dahlin wants to have the option to negotiate a new contract sooner than later because the cap is going to start increasing and this could be his career defining contract. I say show some good faith and sign him to the term he wants. We have lost enough star players.
If I were Adams, I doesn't want both Power and Dahlin on short term deals.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Andrew Peters stated he heard Dahlin wanted 4 years at $11M.

So let's say Dahlin is willing to holdout from training camp next year to get what he wants. He is willing to give a little bit in term or money. $11M for 5 years or $10.5M for 4 years.

What do you do?

Don't see a hold out from him. He either goes to arbitration then hits UFA or he signs outright with another team after this season, forcing Buffalo to match

Would we match if he signs a 5 year 14 million offer sheet or do we take the picks?

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Trading Dahlin would be a huge stupidity, no Drysdale can replace him, we have no one to replace him at all. Power is not even close to this level of play and workload yet.

Even if we sign Dahlin for 4-5 years, it's not that bad either, since we'll still have one of the best defensemen in the NHL for at least 5-6 years. And what will happen then is unknown.

So sign him for the term he asks for, maybe bargain a little to sign him for a little longer, but don't piss him off.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Trading Dahlin would be a huge stupidity, no Drysdale can replace him, we have no one to replace him at all. Power is not even close to this level of play and workload yet.

Even if we sign Dahlin for 4-5 years, it's not that bad either, since we'll still have one of the best defensemen in the NHL for at least 5-6 years. And what will happen then is unknown.

So sign him for the term he asks for, maybe bargain a little to sign him for a little longer, but don't piss him off.
Just to add to your point, Tage, Cozens, Dahlin, Power (sooner than later), etc will all be able to play together for buffalo through their prime. Isn't that what we want? We have a window opening up for us, assuming we keep up this trajectory), i would rather know that we have dahlin through our window with a hope of signing him to another contract versus the negotiations turning acrid and dahlin ultimately wanting out.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Don't see a hold out from him. He either goes to arbitration then hits UFA or he signs outright with another team after this season, forcing Buffalo to match

Would we match if he signs a 5 year 14 million offer sheet or do we take the picks?
Good question.

Compensation would be four first-round picks.

I would rather have Dahlin than those picks, but at $14M, I don't know.

I think I would rather sign him to 4 years and then lose him to free agency rather than accept a $14M cap hit.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What’s amazing is that Peters manages to both believe the report and maintain that you shouldn’t rush to sign young players long term. He’s probably sitting somewhere right now thinking Power should be bridged because he hasn’t earned the big deal yet…unable to rectify that it’s the entire reason Dahlin has the ability to call his shot now….and that it is going to cost a hell of a lot more.

I’ll stick with the safe assumption that Peters doesn’t know anything. Has an almost daily show where he proves it.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don't think he wants more than a shorter term deal at high dollar amount like Matthews. Then take another crack at this when he's in his prime.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
if 4 yrs is correct hes also angling to have that next contract come up with the best D in the league

Reactions: BuffaloMango

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
This is kind of the reality of where things are headed. They've got lucky with some of the guys they already have for long term at the prices they are at.

Dahlin's not a dumb guy. He looks around the room and sees Thompson locked in at a "great deal," Samuelsson on a "bargain" and Cozens on another "good deal." All of those guys are on trajectories where the could have opted for fewer years and probably would have had their next contract several million/year higher.

Let him bet on himself and the cap.

I say give him 4@11. And if we have to give him 4@16 when it's done, its because he's worth it.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
If he wants 4x11, give him 4x11. It sucks but trading him simply isn't an option.

I think the price is going to keep going up the longer they wait.

What this probably means is Mitts is out next offseason. Dahlin gets the money and term he wants, but the team won't be able to commit big bucks to keep his buddy around.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
We've come a long, long way from "8x10.5 should be considered an overpayment."

Probably best for me to just wait for the numbers and corresponding story to come out at this point to avoid needless frustration.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
At the end of the day, as long as it isn't some completely ridiculous AAV (I think someone mentioned $16m+ lol)... sign him to the highest term he's willing to sign and lets get this going. I don't like it as much as the next guy... but whatever the term is on Dahlin's next deal will realistically become our window. I just kinda wish the kids weren't playing hardball already before we even know if it is a window.

Reactions: BuffaloMango
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad