Dahlin what?

Pick your best option

• Sign 4 years at $10.5M

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Sign 5 years at $11M

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Trade him now (Zegras, Drysdale and a pick)

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Trade him this summer

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Offer him 8 years at $13.5M

Votes: 28 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He wasn't last year or he would have been nominated. You are in entitled to your opinion but I value his peers
He went on a 20 game stretch where he played pretty bad.

If you want to be the best you got to do it for 82 games hence no Norris nomination
What does my opinion have to do with it, if there are statistics that confirm this. You never know how people vote for Norris or another award. There are many underrated players in the NHL for various reasons, and Dahlin is one of them.

Makar played fewer games (I'm sure he didn't look great in all of them), and Dahlin beat him in both offense and defense, but Makar is in the top 3 for Norris, and Dahlin is not, and where is the justice in that?

Dahlin played with an injury and everyone knows it, but he still put up better metrics than the three Norris nominees, that’s the whole truth.

Reactions: beerme1

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
The difference between Dahlin at 13 or 10 or 11 is not not contending or contending, it's not signing a guy like Jost or keeping 3 goalies or not signing vets for the vibe.
I agree if we're talking 8 years. If we're talking 4 years, you need to factor in the 16m/year for his next contract.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
I cant believe you mention inflation when we are talking about people making 50-100 million off a career. You really think it makes a difference if Matthews pays 2.99 for eggs or 3.99 for eggs?
1 million just doesn’t buy as many eggs as it used to.

But it’s not a question of “do I think it matters,” vs “might it matter to someone committing to 4 yrs vs 8yrs?”

Inflation affects way more than just eggs. That sauna for example.

I suppose It’s one of the greatest downsides of the cap is that it leads to fans obsessing about their favorite teams finances as much as they do their own. If we send Becky to Dahlin camp this summer then I guess we can’t afford the Jost travel league for Jamie. I hope we sign him and I hope the Sabres can keep building around him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not a single one of Thompson, Cozens or Sammy took less money to stay here or help the team. Each of their deals was a calculated risk on the part of management. Each of those players got paid as much as it took to get them to commit longer term. The reason they are value deals is the risk management took paid off.

Let's not create a BS talking point that they passed up on bigger contracts to stay here. Because that's not what happened but that is what some of you are asking Dahlin to do. They are two different situations.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The difference between Dahlin at 13 or 10 or 11 is not not contending or contending, it's not signing a guy like Jost or keeping 3 goalies or not signing vets for the vibe.
Ask Toronto fans what an extra $3M would’ve done for them at the deadline the past five years. Could’ve made all the difference imo.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree if we're talking 8 years. If we're talking 4 years, you need to factor in the 16m/year for his next contract.
He'd be here for 5 more years with a 4 yr extension. So, the cap has 5yrs to grow before we need to worry about his next deal.

Ask Toronto fans what an extra $3M would’ve done for them at the deadline the past five years. Could’ve made all the difference imo.
If only the cap space was the actual issue. It didn't seem to hurt Vegas or Tampa.

• Love

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
He'd be here for 5 more years with a 4 yr extension. So, the cap has 5yrs to grow before we need to worry about his next deal.
When the cap grows, so do all the new contracts given out, not just Dahlin's. During that 5 years, you'll be signing a bunch of guys for more than they would cost right now, so the cap growing does not necessarily mean our cap space grows.........

The cap going up is actually one of the main reasons we should want him for 8 years.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
When the cap grows, so do all the new contracts given out, not just Dahlin's. So during that 5 years, you'll be signing a bunch of guys for more than they would cost right now, so the cap growing does not necessarily mean our cap space grows.........

The cap going up is actually one of the main reasons we should want him for years.s.
Yes, I know. Sign your best player and worry about the next deal when it comes.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Ok then. 3 years, 14million. Why not?
But there is no information that Dahlin is asking for 14 million for three years. In general, now there is no faith in anyone, neither Chad nor Peters, who talked about 10 million for 8 years. Maybe Adams and the Dahlin camp are bargaining over a term of several years or one million.

• Love

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
But there is no information that Dahlin is asking for 14 million for three years. In general, now there is no faith in anyone, neither Chad nor Peters, who talked about 10 million for 8 years. Maybe Adams and the Dahlin camp are bargaining over a term of several years or one million.
My question was a hypothetical. Do we care about the term and $ or not? If we do, then we should all want long term for as little as possible. I don't think that should be controversial.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
What does my opinion have to do with it, if there are statistics that confirm this. You never know how people vote for Norris or another award. There are many underrated players in the NHL for various reasons, and Dahlin is one of them.

Makar played fewer games (I'm sure he didn't look great in all of them), and Dahlin beat him in both offense and defense, but Makar is in the top 3 for Norris, and Dahlin is not, and where is the justice in that?

Dahlin played with an injury and everyone knows it, but he still put up better metrics than the three Norris nominees, that’s the whole truth.
Yes there are statistics to confirm who is the best it's called the Norris Trophy.

Adams - We want people who want to be here. Dahlin here is an 8 year contract!

Dahlin - Woooa hold up now.....

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yes there are statistics to confirm who is the best it's called the Norris Trophy.

Adams - We want people who want to be here. Dahlin here is an 8 year contract!

Dahlin - Woooa hold up now.....
No, there are metrics that more reflect the real picture, you're wrong. They don't rank more popular players higher, there is no human opinion like in Norris or other trophy.

Dahlin was one of the best defensemen in the NHL last season, and the numbers back it up.

Adams has no leverage over Dahlin and will sign him anyway. And it's not a matter of whether he wants to be here or not.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
No, there are metrics that more reflect the real picture, you're wrong. They don't rank more popular players higher, there is no human opinion like in Norris or other trophy.

Dahlin was one of the best defensemen in the NHL last season, and the numbers back it up.

Adams has no leverage over Dahlin and will sign him anyway. And it's not a matter of whether he wants to be here or not.
Ok I am wrong along with the 50 or so undeservingly Norris Trophy winners.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
My question is rather Dahlin wants to win or have money?

Stutzle literally talked about that when he signed.

If you want to win, you give the team 5 years and 10.5 mil. Anything shorter length or higher AAV would say otherwise. Great teams are built by players not maximizing their value but rather approaching it and trimming a bit.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Josh Morrissey and Dougie Hamilton finished ahead of Dahlin in the Norris voting. Does anyone want to argue that they played better than him last season?
Even Makar didn't play better, not to mention Hamilton.

DahlinvsMakar.jpg

DahlinvsHamilton.jpg

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Even Makar didn't play better, not to mention Hamilton.

View attachment 747874
View attachment 747875
Does everyone forget the 20 game stretch where Dalhin's play fell off and the team went on a terrible run? Dahlin will probably be a top 3 defenseman in the league but he has yet to do it for 82 games. If you have any doubt go watch Dahlin play from February to March. Are people's memories that bad? If you want to be the best in the league you got to do it for 82 games not 50-60.

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Does everyone forget the 20 game stretch where Dalhin's play fell off and the team went on a terrible run? Dahlin will probably be a top 3 defenseman in the league but he has yet to do it for 82 games. If you have any doubt go watch Dahlin play from February to March. Are people's memories that bad? If you want to be the best in the league you got to do it for 82 games not 50-60.
He played with an injury, what does that have to do with it. No defenseman in the NHL has played a perfect 82 games. Makar actually played 60 games last season and not all of them were good.

You have already been told that you are wrong, provided with facts, metrics, but you continue to tell the story about Dahlin’s 20 games when he played with an injury. Even with those 20 games, Dahlin's metrics were better than Makar and Hamilton, and he outplayed a player like Fox on defense.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
He played with an injury, what does that have to do with it. No defenseman in the NHL has played a perfect 82 games. Makar actually played 60 games last season and not all of them were good.

You have already been told that you are wrong, provided with facts, metrics, but you continue to tell the story about Dahlin’s 20 games when he played with an injury. Even with those 20 games, Dahlin's metrics were better than Makar and Hamilton, and he outplayed a player like Fox on defense.
"He played with injuries" - Excuses. In fact, it could be cause for concern if it becomes a pattern.

Whether he did or not sorry you don't get a free pass if you are injured for 20 games. Part of being the best maintaining the best play through an 82 game schedule in the NHL you don't get to use excuses to be the best.

Tim Connolly could have been one of the best. He was a magician with the puck before his injuries especially in the 05-06 season he was crushing in in the payoffs and was only 24 before his concussion but injuries kept him from reaching his full potential. Thats the way injuries work. Now he is remembered as just another player.

I am not saying Dahlin is Tim Connolly but if Dahlin is going to be injured for 20 games every year or have stretches where he plays bad then he wont be considered the best.

I think he might have won the Norris for the first 40 games last year but again, you got to do it for 82 games.

EDIT: Would I make him the highest paid defenseman in the league? Yes, but only if he signs for 8 years. 8x11 or 8x12 but then you are paying for potential and it could come back to bite you in the ass. Last year was his first season where he really stepped up so we are paying for an 82 game Dahlin not 60.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland