Dahlin what?

Pick your best option

• Sign 4 years at $10.5M

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Sign 5 years at $11M

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Trade him now (Zegras, Drysdale and a pick)

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Trade him this summer

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Offer him 8 years at $13.5M

Votes: 28 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023
I really think it's as simple as Dahlin wants to have the option to negotiate a new contract sooner than later because the cap is going to start increasing and this could be his career defining contract. I say show some good faith and sign him to the term he wants. We have lost enough star players.

Agree on all points. The Sabres have lost enough guys, just sign the asking price and move on.

I would like to add on that I don't think the 4-5 years is purely cost motivated. I really believe that it is important for Ras to not waste away in a bottom tier franchise. This is his 6th year on the team. He has been around for nearly half the drought/Pegula era (5/12). I have to believe that as much as he believes in the current set up, he also wants to be able to pull the rip cord with full control over his next stop.

I can't blame the guy. Pay the man and put together a team that in 4-5 years he still wants to be apart of.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Not to every major NHL reputable outlet and ranking. I think he will be soon and competing in that range but Hughes Makar Fox and others still getting more love.
Makar and Fox are better but he's as good as anyone else. The world at large will catch on as soon as they watch him in a playoff game.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I would not be happy with 4 x $11M, especially since the Sabres already tried to sign him long term once and he pushed for the bridge deal instead.

I was expecting more term this time. Or if he’s dead set on 4 years, then I’d expect an AAV more like $9-10M.
4 years at $11M kind of feels like Dahlin squeezing the team for every penny like Matthews in Toronto. I didn’t think that was Dahlin’s M.O..

I am not saying to trade him or anything like that, but I would be disappointed if that’s how it went down (4x$11M) and if we are all being honest, I’m guessing many Sabres fans would feel the same way.

Reactions: beerme1

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Just wait it out. Something is going to happen that knocks down the cap projections. Same for Power. KA waited too long and now the Matthews and Sanderson contracts reset the market. Should’ve gotten this done by July 1st

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I didn’t think that was Dahlin’s M.O..
It might not be Dahlin's M.O., but it probably is for the agent.

Rivet iirc mentioned Dahlin's agent likes to be a market setter.

Does this mean he signed?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Just wait it out. Something is going to happen that knocks down the cap projections. Same for Power. KA waited too long and now the Matthews and Sanderson contracts reset the market. Should’ve gotten this done by July 1st
I agree. The last two sentences are hindsight, but I agree with the bolded.

To the greater board, not just you:
We fans are concerned Dahlin / Agent are jockeying for a short term deal in order to cash an even higher contract later.
That strategy / intent may be true.
What we can't read too much into is whether that will actually play out "if" (read: "when" for us optimists) the Sabres make the playoffs several consecutive years and have one or more deep runs.
Dahlin could sign for 4 or 5 years x $11M (or whatever - pick your term <<8 years and whatever AAV makes you Nostradamus to your friends and family). But we shouldn't automatically assume the strategy on the next (4th) contract will be the same. Some alternative scenarios to the "pillage again on the 4th contract":
1. Dahlin likes winning, plays "Tom Brady", and takes a team-friendlier deal to keep a higher concentration of top-end talent on the Sabres.
2. Dahlin tells his agent to go set the market with another client.
3. Dahlin hires a different agent.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sanderson's deal has nothing to do with Dahlin. That has something to do with Power.

And if Dahlin has never been open to signing for 7-8 years, then waiting him out has been the right move by Adams. There is no reason for Adams to rush to sign Dahlin to a 4-5 year deal.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He is definitely top 5
He's a top 5 talent in capabilities, but he's closer in top 10 defenseman in his actual play. Much of that game is heavy loaded towards the offensive side of the game. His defensive side of the game, for as impactful offensively and in the transition side of the game is, is pretty bad.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He's a top 5 talent in capabilities, but he's closer in top 10 defenseman in his actual play. Much of that game is heavy loaded towards the offensive side of the game. His defensive side of the game, for as impactful offensively and in the transition side of the game is, is pretty bad.
I will respectfully disagree with that. His defense is what makes him be up there next to Makar and Fox. They're the 3 defensemen in the league who don't leave you wanting more on either end.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I will respectfully disagree with that. His defense is what makes him be up there next to Makar and Fox. They're the 3 defensemen in the league who don't leave you wanting more on either end.
My list of overall better defenseman: (Dahlin would be in my top 3 for offense/transition play). Dahlin's play, especially without the puck is leaves a lot to be desired. I will say, that the gaps aren't that wide between Fox and Dahlin, but I believe there is a gap. Dahlin does have the talent to overcome those gaps.

Makar
Q. Hughes
Slavin
Heiskanen
Pietrangelo
Fox
Hedman
Lindholm
Dahlin
Hamilton

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
My list of overall better defenseman: (Dahlin would be in my top 3 for offense/transition play). Dahlin's play, especially without the puck is leaves a lot to be desired. I will say, that the gaps aren't that wide between Fox and Dahlin, but I believe there is a gap. Dahlin does have the talent to overcome those gaps.

Makar
Q. Hughes
Slavin
Heiskanen
Pietrangelo
Fox
Hedman
Lindholm
Dahlin
Hamilton
You are waaaaaaaaaay too high on Hughes and honestly don't see what separates Heiskanen from Dahlin at this point.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Andrew Peters stated he heard Dahlin wanted 4 years at $11M.

So let's say Dahlin is willing to holdout from training camp next year to get what he wants. He is willing to give a little bit in term or money. $11M for 5 years or $10.5M for 4 years.

What do you do?

I say no.

We want you long term and you say you want to be here. 7 or 8 years and then we negotiate a fair price we can all live with. If that ends up being 8x12 or something, so be it. The only way I even consider a 4 or 5 year deal is if there's a discount involved, because a short-term deal for the high end of current market value hurts the team's ability to win now and in the future.

Reactions: Jacob582

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Sign him to a shorter deal (5 years) if that's what he wants...And then in 5 years re-assess...He may want to resign with us then again especially with we are an elite team that has won a Cup(s).

Reactions: Vito_81

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Don't see a hold out from him. He either goes to arbitration then hits UFA or he signs outright with another team after this season, forcing Buffalo to match

Would we match if he signs a 5 year 14 million offer sheet or do we take the picks?
I take the 4 1st round picks AND the cap space. I would rather have two 7 AAV top 4 defenseman than one 14 AAV Dahlin, so the 4 1st's is golden gravy on top.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
You cannot just give Dahlin whatever he wants. You just signed Tage, Cozens, and Sammy to team friendly long term commitment to winning contracts. They created room to ensure money available to keep talent level high and win. If you now let Dahlin bend you over and give him all the extra created by Tage ,Sammy, and Cozens, you have a lockeroom problem.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He’s a top 15 defenseman right now not top 5. What are comparables?
According to two reputable stat sites last season he was better defensively than guys like Fox, Makar and EK 65. He was better offensively than Makar last season, he was definitely underrated in the Norris voting. He's also younger than those three, he plays the physical game more than them. He gets a huge workload, he was top 3 in ice time in the entire NHL. Fox, Makar and EK 65 signed their contracts earlier, if they signed now it would be 10+.

So Adams is obliged to sign him, there is no other option.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You cannot just give Dahlin whatever he wants. You just signed Tage, Cozens, and Sammy to team friendly long term commitment to winning contracts. They created room to ensure money available to keep talent level high and win. If you now let Dahlin bend you over and give him all the extra created by Tage ,Sammy, and Cozens, you have a lockeroom problem.
Do you think he's asking for 14-15 million? I doubt it. Your opinion is not authoritative at all, because you wanted to trade Dahlin from the very beginning, you were always biased towards him, as if he shit on your plate or stole your fiancee.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Do you think he's asking for 14-15 million? I doubt it. Your opinion is not authoritative at all, because you wanted to trade Dahlin from the very beginning, you were always biased towards him, as if he shit on your plate or stole your fiancee.
Wow. Didn't take you long to start the personal attacks. Who are you to state whether someone else's opinion is authoritative. You are no one.

Your accusation is entirely untrue. I have said plenty of good things as well as criticisms of Dahlin. You just never listen to anything not supporting your addenda.

I approach analysis more sterile, without the emotion you clearly can't control.

My post was addressing a post I saw that said just give him whatever he wants and move on. I gave reasons why I don't think you should do that. Do you have a reason they should? Can you put together an intelligent response without name calling and having an emotional aneurysm? I doubt it.

I have given it further thought.......and my original opinion holds. Can't just give him whatever he wants.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Wow. Didn't take you long to start the personal attacks. Who are you to state whether someone else's opinion is authoritative. You are no one.

Your accusation is entirely untrue. I have said plenty of good things as well as criticisms of Dahlin. You just never listen to anything not supporting your addenda.

I approach analysis more sterile, without the emotion you clearly can't control.

My post was addressing a post I saw that said just give him whatever he wants and move on. I gave reasons why I don't think you should do that. Do you have a reason they should? Can you put together an intelligent response without name calling and having an emotional aneurysm? I doubt it.

I have given it further thought.......and my original opinion holds. Can't just give him whatever he wants.
You wanted to trade hi, many times not so long ago and that’s a fact. Or have you already forgotten?

Whatever he wants within reason. Yes, Adams has no choice and he will give Dahlin everything he wants, you’ll see for yourself soon. I doubt that it will be 14-15 million for 4 years, but we will see.

My attacks are justified, since you have always been biased towards Dahlin, you do not even notice the facts that I say. You may not even consider Dahlin a top 10 NHL defenseman, even though statistics say he is a top 3 NHL defenseman.

Hypocritical people like you just infuriate me, I guess we can stop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad