Dahlin or Heiskanen

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Once Dahlin gets a better shot... game over.

He creates so much but he needs to work on that shot. Needs a better wrister and slapper

Reactions: Slimmy

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
1) Does anyone here frequently watch both Dallas and Buffalo games?
2) What metrics are you using to compare the two? (Along with "eye-test" from watching both)
3) Arrive at best estimate.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
1) Does anyone here frequently watch both Dallas and Buffalo games?
2) What metrics are you using to compare the two? (Along with "eye-test" from watching both)
3) Arrive at best estimate.

I can tell you that no one watches them both frequently, backing the younger 1st overall pick with massive hype in a bigger hockey market is just the more popular opinion in the hive mind of hfboards. Because draft pedigree matters.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I'd take Dahlin, purely because ive never really watched heiskanen play.
This pretty much sums up the thread.

For anyone who has watched the two players, it should be clear that Heiskanen is currently more valuable player. He is already one of the best shutdown D's in the league while still outscoring Dahlin. But that being said, I still see Dahlin having bigger offensive potential, he just really needs to work on his shot power and accuracy for that to happen.

Heiskanen is smarter but Dahlin is more skilled. These two will be trading Norris trophies in their prime. You can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Heiskanen's TOI isn't an accident.

There are league half-full of "veteran" forwards who would like have Miro's offensive production.

The best defenseman for an eon coming from Finnish pipeline.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Consider the following: for those saying that it's more impressive what Dahlin is doing since he is 18yr old while Heiskanen is 19yr old, how it is any different from the rookie season of Matthews and Laine? Back then Laine was 18yr old and Matthews was 19yr old, but the consensus was that it didn't really matter. Why it matters now? Age gap between Dahlin & Heiskanen is 9 months, gap between Laine & Matthews is 7 months, so practically the same thing.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Consider the following: for those saying that it's more impressive what Dahlin is doing since he is 18yr old while Heiskanen is 19yr old, how it is any different from the rookie season of Matthews and Laine? Back then Laine was 18yr old and Matthews was 19yr old, but the consensus was that it didn't really matter. Why it matters now? Age gap between Dahlin & Heiskanen is 9 months, gap between Laine & Matthews is 7 months, so practically the same thing.
because it is a reason to discredit a player who has been better.. because people get so offended if there guy isn't the best for some reason

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Not to mention how much better it must be for a defender to develope in Sweden where there are decades of knowledge of developing the best defenders in the world compared to the program which we have in Finland.

The program has been recently getting better in Finland but I'd imagine the difference still being heavily in favor of Sweden's which really should even out the 7 months age difference in development.

And let's not kid ourselves that Dahlin is this your typical lanky 18yo player without some real muscle, I mean otherwise he wouldn't be throwing hits out there like that.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Not to mention how much better it must be for a defender to develope in Sweden where there are decades of knowledge of developing the best defenders in the world compared to the program which we have in Finland.

The program has been recently getting better in Finland but I'd imagine the difference still being heavily in favor of Sweden's which really should even out the 7 months age difference in development.

And let's not kid ourselves that Dahlin is this your typical lanky 18yo player without some real muscle, I mean otherwise he wouldn't be throwing hits out there like that.

Lets not pretend that Dahlin is anywhere near reached his physical potential either. He is lanky and doesn't yet look like a full blown athletic pro. He has much room to improve and he will.

BUT neither is Miro anywhere near ready. Even though he has 9 months on Dahlin, Miro looks like a 16-17 years old. He is raw in every sense of the word. Funny that it isn't brought up much.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I could see Heiskanen being better in the short term. But in the long term I take Dahlin for sure (I am a biased Sabres fan, though).

I think Heiskanen is probably further along in his development as a defenseman.

Remember, Dahlin only started playing defense at 13 or 14yrs old. He was a forward before that.

So, if he is this good already, after only 4-5 years, imagine how good he could potentially be in another 4-5yrs...

Both are going to be good for a long time and both teams are thrilled it’s their guy.
That's not how it works :D

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Now, Heiskanen. But I can't project any longer than that, since Dahlin is very good already and will probably take huge steps during the next offseason.

However, I don't see this question an "AINEC" situation.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Forwards are almost entirely developed at the top of the draft most of the time...Connor McDavid would of been putting out 100+ point seasons out of the gate if he didn't get hurt his rookie season....Defenseman are entirely different so the comparison is bad.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

He may pass Seguin up in goals. Just 1 behind him now

In that very same game he joins the rush, EK strips him of the puck, sends it the other way and it's a 3 on 1 where Sharks score. If that is evidence of him being less risky and more defensively sound than Dahlin.. The shit that comes out of some posters brains is baffling.

Reactions: Matte70

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad