Dahlin or Heiskanen

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
But you really seem biased yourself as you have not said a word about some posts trashing Miro, hmmmm...
I've seen Dahlin play since he was 16. I saw him live in one of his absolute first games for Frölunda and that cage wearing young man blew me away. What some posters here are saying about Dahlin is a complete fabrication. I made the mistake to get sucked into the Dahlin vs Heiskanen shit flinging fest and am instantly regretting it. Truthfully I don't have any real interest in Heiskanen. I'm a big fan of Dahlin and I want to be able to enjoy his career from afar.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Cmon now, did you really think or did someone actually say that Heiskanen doesn't take his chances when it comes to rushes? They hardly backfire and most of the time something good comes from them, just like when he scored a goal tonight from the rush. He is really good in that regard and one sloppy zone entry won't change the big picture.

I think the play where Dahlin skates around everyone on 4vs4 is a good example how the players are different. While Dahlin trusts his skillset and hogs on the puck as long as possible, Heiskanen would never hold onto puck that long, you would see him make a pass before risking that he would lose the possession on the puck.
I don't doubt that Heiskanen is both responsible on the back end and very good at evaluating when to join the rush. For all I know he is all the things you say. But I know for a fact that your statement about Dahlin is false. That's the difference here. I don't make up things about Heiskanen. I don't feel the need to.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
@Slimmy: I'm sure everyone in that "fest" realize very well that we sling shit over two extraordinary players. I can't blame Finns for preferring Miro over Rasmus, nor I can do that if Swedes prefer Rasmus over Miro. With very high probability one can't go too wrong regardless of their particular personal reference.

I've never been more excited about hockey defensemen. Lol. :)

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I don't doubt that Heiskanen is both responsible on the back end and very good at evaluating when to join the rush. For all I know he is all the things you say. But I know for a fact that your statement about Dahlin is false. That's the difference here. I don't make up things about Heiskanen. I don't feel the need to.
Which statement about Dahlin is wrong?

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
That Dahlin is a puck hog and that he hangs onto the puck as long as possible. It is not representative of his overall play. You and many others here are trying to paint a picture that Dahlin is a high risk player.
I was talking about him hogging on the puck in that 4on4 clip when I said he holds onto puck as long as possible. Of course I don't mean he does that often in games nor he wouldn't know when to pass it if there is an opening.

As for someone who has watched Heiskanen for couple of years now, I would never imagine him holding onto puck as long as Dahlin did in the clip, not because it wouldn't the right play or anything, but just because there are just things he does differently than Dahlin. I don't think it's a bad thing that Dahlin is more comfortable to hold the puck since he, in my opinion, has the edge of the two in handling the puck. Heiskanen has good hands also but you rarely see him displaying those hands. That's one area where Heiskanen could still improve.

Reactions: Cletus56 and Slimmy

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I was talking about him hogging on the puck in that 4on4 clip when I said he holds onto puck as long as possible. Of course I don't mean he does that often in games nor he wouldn't know when to pass it if there is an opening.

As for someone who has watched Heiskanen for couple of years now, I would never imagine him holding onto puck as long as Dahlin did in the clip, not because it wouldn't the right play or anything, but just because there are just things he does differently than Dahlin. I don't think it's a bad thing that Dahlin is more comfortable to hold the puck since he, in my opinion, has the edge of the two in handling the puck. Heiskanen has good hands also but you rarely see him displaying those hands. That's one area where Heiskanen could still improve.
I hope you understand that, in light of much that have been said in this thread, it's easy to misunderstand or jump to conclusions on what you wrote. Still, much respect to you. Kippis.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Do you remember the billion new threads about Crosby vs Ovechkin, when they were young?

Dahlin vs Heiskanen is the 2018-2019 version and this will be debated for a decade.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

Yeah, Heiskanen defers too much to veteran players when he should shoot instead. Though, as you can probably tell from his uptick in scoring, he has started to take a little more control of putting shots on net. I think when it pans out, Dahlin will put up superior numbers, and make more highlight reels because he's flashier, while playing well defensively, whereas I see Heiskanen still putting up good numbers, but being more balanced on both sides of the puck and special teams.

Saying that isn't saying or I'm playing that Heiskanen is going to lack offense or that Dahlin is bad defensively, but they play different styles. I think they'll both be in the Norris discussion over the years if they continue how they have been.

Either way, i look forward to seeing how they both develop, but i don't look forward to the constant vs threads we're going to see. As a Stars fan, I got my fill of those with the Hall vs Seguin thread, lol.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I like Dahlin's chances of becoming the best swedish defender of all time, fighting with Forsberg for best swedish player of all time. While I do rate Heiskanen highly I don't rate him that highly.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Heiskanen and it really isn't all that close for me. Heiskanen plays the PP, PK, ES, both LD and RD, leads ALL rookies in TOI by almost 3 minutes per game, and leads all rookie D men in scoring.

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
At a risk of sounding like a homer Im more impressed with the overall game of Heiskanen, Dahlin has definitely shown some great skill and IQ as well..

I just love how so many are so absolutely certain that Dahlin will be better in the future.. Miro is still young too with loads of room for improvements and growth despite how mature his game looks for a 19-year old D.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

HatchtrickBateman

Jun 29, 2011
Lincoln, NE
I've seen Dahlin play since he was 16. I saw him live in one of his absolute first games for Frölunda and that cage wearing young man blew me away. What some posters here are saying about Dahlin is a complete fabrication. I made the mistake to get sucked into the Dahlin vs Heiskanen **** flinging fest and am instantly regretting it. Truthfully I don't have any real interest in Heiskanen. I'm a big fan of Dahlin and I want to be able to enjoy his career from afar.
You seem mad. Maybe you should relax

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Heiskanen will be better in the future simply because of the direction the game's heading towards. Dahlin has an advantage in physicality and Heiskanen in skating and I think that skating is what'll be the big difference-maker in the long run. Dahlin just doesn't have the potential for skating like Heiskanen's.

The other thing we have to already consider is that Heiskanen seems to be better at opportunstic play and taking advantage of openings. He's had some very impressive goals due to his ability to read the situation and know when he can step in and get a good chance. Dahlin hasn't been able to accomplish such a thing at all - Does he even have any non-scrambly goals this season? What's especially curious about this is that Dahlin plays a more risky style in general. I'd have expected him to have the advantage here if anything.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
If Skinner was that good Nill would have scooped him up, the guy traded for Seguin ffs and Skinner cost a nickel (for a reason he sucks)

Also Vezina Bishop vs 31 yo backup, come on
Jeff Skinner and his PPG pace + 22 goals so far does not suck... He literally has 2 more goals than Benn and Seguin combined. Nill didnt pick him but because he thought he sucked, it was because Nill was inexplicably ok with our 35 bottom 6 players in the org. He actually somehow thought we didnt have enough bottom 6 guys and went out and added comeau.

Dahlin is good but he isnt the reason Buffalo is playing so well. That reason is shared between Eichel being healthy, Skinner being a PPG, Hutton being solid in net, Pomminville bouncing back in the scoring department and so on. The team as a whole has taken a big step forward

BuffaloKatanas

Jan 11, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Heiskanen and it really isn't all that close for me. Heiskanen plays the PP, PK, ES, both LD and RD, leads ALL rookies in TOI by almost 3 minutes per game, and leads all rookie D men in scoring.
So you are basing you choice of how his coach is deploying him? You say all this as if Dahlin couldn't handle all that.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
So you are basing you choice of how his coach is deploying him? You say all this as if Dahlin couldn't handle all that.

Then why isn't he? It's not like Ristolainen is great as a minute muncher and a clear cut 1D. It would make sense to ease Ristolainen's struggling if Dahlin can do all that. Just asking based on TOI/GP, I have only seen like 8 games this season and haven't really paid attention to Risto, so I honestly have no idea how he is doing at the moment.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I've seen Dahlin play since he was 16. I saw him live in one of his absolute first games for Frölunda and that cage wearing young man blew me away. What some posters here are saying about Dahlin is a complete fabrication. I made the mistake to get sucked into the Dahlin vs Heiskanen **** flinging fest and am instantly regretting it. Truthfully I don't have any real interest in Heiskanen. I'm a big fan of Dahlin and I want to be able to enjoy his career from afar.

Sounds fair
You seem mad. Maybe you should relax
Nothing in the post you quoted seems angry at all.

If it appears to you that he is mad based on that very innocuous post then that is a reflection of the very high likelihood that you need to relax.

Reactions: Slimmy

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
In that very same game he joins the rush, EK strips him of the puck, sends it the other way and it's a 3 on 1 where Sharks score. If that is evidence of him being less risky and more defensively sound than Dahlin.. The **** that comes out of some posters brains is baffling.
That isnt a risky play by heiskanen. He went to the puck and chipped up the boards instantly. That literally what you want your Dman to do there so that on a scuffed entry you still get the puck deep.

Problem is Kalsson has unreal hands and manages to react in time and bat the puck in the right direction. Credit to Karlsson for the unreal play. 99%of the time that puck ends up ringing around d the boards

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad