Dahlin or Heiskanen

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I love Heiskanen, but I take Dahlin. the kid has some skill and his offensive play is really good. Heiskanen is a better defender atm, but I have no doubt Dahlin can progress in that too. Heiskanen is IMO better now, but Dahlin will become the superior D. Both will be good though.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I could see Heiskanen being better in the short term. But in the long term I take Dahlin for sure (I am a biased Sabres fan, though).

I think Heiskanen is probably further along in his development as a defenseman.

Remember, Dahlin only started playing defense at 13 or 14yrs old. He was a forward before that.

So, if he is this good already, after only 4-5 years, imagine how good he could potentially be in another 4-5yrs...

Both are going to be good for a long time and both teams are thrilled it’s their guy.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'd take Heiskanen for the Stars but would have no issue with having either one of these guys on my team :)

Just glad Dahlin isn't in our division

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Sure they are close Heiskanen is a full year older and on a team with many established stars and vets. Dallas has been a playoff team and know how to win. Buffalo has been a tire fire and Dahlin has come in and become it's #1 D and really solidified the D core. He stopped Risto having to be the guy and allows him to play 2nd fiddle and he is thriving with that role. What he is doing at 18 is basically unheard of.

LMAO Dallas has been a 9th seed for the last half decade and have one out of the blue playoff performance. They are defintely not a team that "knows how to win" and Heiskanen isnt surouded by much talent at all right now outside of the top line. Dallas is decimated on D and 75% of their forwards arent great

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
LMAO Dallas has been a 9th seed for the last half decade and have one out of the blue playoff performance. They are defintely not a team that "knows how to win" and Heiskanen isnt surouded by much talent at all right now outside of the top line. Dallas is decimated on D and 75% of their forwards arent great

On top of that our top line has been super Inconsistent all year and kinda sucks right now

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Dahlainec took Buffalo from worst to first, Heiskanen took Dallas from middling to fiddling

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yes Jeff Skinner and improved goaltending have absolutely nothing to do with Buffalo's success

If Skinner was that good Nill would have scooped him up, the guy traded for Seguin ffs and Skinner cost a nickel (for a reason he sucks)

Also Vezina Bishop vs 31 yo backup, come on

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If Skinner was that good Nill would have scooped him up, the guy traded for Seguin ffs and Skinner cost a nickel (for a reason he sucks)

Also Vezina Bishop vs 31 yo backup, come on

Skinner was very particular on where he would be traded. Not Nill's fault he was basically only willing to go to Buffalo or a team around there. Also never safe to rely on Nill to acquire a top 6 player lol. He signed Blake Comeau to be a top 6 player for us lmao. Doesn't help that Seguin and Benn are just about useless because they're so inconsistent this season

I'm not complaining about our goaltending lol I'm saying goaltending has been a huge part of the Sabres success this season.

Reactions: Cletus56

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Sure they are close Heiskanen is a full year older and on a team with many established stars and vets. Dallas has been a playoff team and know how to win. Buffalo has been a tire fire and Dahlin has come in and become it's #1 D and really solidified the D core. He stopped Risto having to be the guy and allows him to play 2nd fiddle and he is thriving with that role. What he is doing at 18 is basically unheard of.

The Stars have only made the playoffs twice in the last 11 seasons. Let’s not act like they’re consistent competitors here.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Skinner was very particular on where he would be traded. Not Nill's fault he was basically only willing to go to Buffalo or a team around there. Also never safe to rely on Nill to acquire a top 6 player lol. He signed Blake Comeau to be a top 6 player for us lmao. Doesn't help that Seguin and Benn are just about useless because they're so inconsistent this season

I'm not complaining about our goaltending lol I'm saying goaltending has been a huge part of the Sabres success this season.

Still you gotta admit Dahlin is better than Heiskanen and the gap between 18 and 19 is like a decade when it comes to maturity and NHL abilities for defensemen. Don't get me wrong Heiskanen is dope I'd totally do a typical hf quantity for quality proposal of Burakovsky/Bowey/Djoos/Stephenson/Samsonov/2nd rounder in 2020 for him but don't compare him to Dahlin, you're just asking for it like the Leafs fans comparing Matthews to McDavid.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Still you gotta admit Dahlin is better than Heiskanen and the gap between 18 and 19 is like a decade when it comes to maturity and NHL abilities for defensemen. Don't get me wrong Heiskanen is dope I'd totally do a typical hf quantity for quality proposal of Burakovsky/Bowey/Djoos/Stephenson/Samsonov/2nd rounder in 2020 for him but don't compare him to Dahlin, you're just asking for it like the Leafs fans comparing Matthews to McDavid.

I'll stop comparing them when Dahlin proves he is at that level

It wouldn't surprise me to see Dahlin better in the future.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016

yeah but dahlin team is in the playoffs doe

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I love Heiskanen. Loved him way before he got drafted. Not surprised at all to see him killing it. He’s right around Dahlin’s level this year.

Long term I say Dahlin because think his ceiling is relatively limitless. He focused on his defensive game in his first 10 games. The offense didn’t come, but he gave up nothing in his own end. Now he’s exploring what he can do offensively, and it’s fun to watch. He’s making mistakes and feeing out what he can and can’t do. He shows a new unique skill on a weekly basis it seems.

The kid has potential I’ve never seen in a defenseman. Doesn’t mean he’ll necessarily meet his potential, but his floor is a Norris contender year in year out, so whatever.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
What I most hate about these heated arguments about which young player in the start of their career is going to be better is the fact that a lot of people are going to develop a lot of hate toward both players. Which is sad because it's evident that both youngster have a lot of potential, Dahlin's ceiling being higher IMO, and both are joy to watch. Some people are going to miss on that.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Eventually Dahlin will probably be the better Dman. The best part is, they both will be around +15 years and 10 of them at least are Norris-caliber years.

Add Chabot there and the next big three are there.

Don't forget Hughes, who is going to be part of that big 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad