Dahlin or Heiskanen

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
From a 30 game sample, I will say Heiskanen would pretty clearly have the better highlight reel.
Weird Heiskanen is definitely more of a sound player than flashy like Dahlin unless you actually believe this. Dahlin takes big risk plays often.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
In that very same game he joins the rush, EK strips him of the puck, sends it the other way and it's a 3 on 1 where Sharks score. If that is evidence of him being less risky and more defensively sound than Dahlin.. The **** that comes out of some posters brains is baffling.

Karlsson knocked that puck off the glass out of mid air on Heiskanen's attempted dump in and no forwards covered for Miro when the puck deflected past him out to center ice (makes sense cause our worst defensive line was out). Stars coach wasn't mad about that play at all by Heiskanen. It was a great/lucky play by Karlsson and horrible forward coverage by the Stars which is what Monty ended up saying as well. Heiskanen was actually really good defensively tonight

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Weird Heiskanen is definitely more of a sound player than flashy like Dahlin unless you actually believe this. Dahlin takes big risk plays often.

I think he means in terms of nice goals. Heiskanen has had some nice passes too though

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Dahlin takes weird risksrand tries to rush all the time, like a juniorj Not very effiecient plays.

Heiskanen has better iq
Better shot
Better d zone
Better skater

Dahlin more physical

Its 9 month difference

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
In that very same game he joins the rush, EK strips him of the puck, sends it the other way and it's a 3 on 1 where Sharks score. If that is evidence of him being less risky and more defensively sound than Dahlin.. The **** that comes out of some posters brains is baffling.
Talk about overstating things. By stripping the puck you mean Karlsson batted the puck off mid air near boards and none of the 3 players from Dallas decided to cover up a D who was the first one in the rush? That's hardly Heiskanen's fault. And as I'm sure you know (but somehow forgot it in this case) that you should never make an assumption how the player plays the game from one play.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Fun fact: Heiskanen leads the Stars in points over the last 11 games (9 points - 5G, 4A)

That is almost too fun.

We cannot speak currently about some "secondary scoring" in context of Heiskanen's performances relative to his team's offensive contribution.

You can't truly ask more from young rookie D-man, especially when his defense doesn't suck because of offense.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Forwards are almost entirely developed at the top of the draft most of the time...Connor McDavid would of been putting out 100+ point seasons out of the gate if he didn't get hurt his rookie season....Defenseman are entirely different so the comparison is bad.

Not true. Seguin, Johansen, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Reinhart, Draisaitl and list goes on...they all took their time to develop into their full potential. None of them were entirely developed. McDavid and Matthews are the only forwards who could be described as "almost entirely developed" straight out of the draft, and even that is a silly thing to say. No player is even "almost" entirely developed at their rookie season.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Not true. Seguin, Johansen, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Reinhart, Draisaitl and list goes on...they all took their time to develop into their full potential. None of them were entirely developed. McDavid and Matthews are the only forwards who could be described as "almost entirely developed" straight out of the draft, and even that is a silly thing to say. No player is even "almost" entirely developed at their rookie season.
Maybe Matthews. If you compare rookie Rantanen to Rantanen today the difference is night and day.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I could see Heiskanen being better in the short term. But in the long term I take Dahlin for sure (I am a biased Sabres fan, though).

I think Heiskanen is probably further along in his development as a defenseman.

Remember, Dahlin only started playing defense at 13 or 14yrs old. He was a forward before that.

So, if he is this good already, after only 4-5 years, imagine how good he could potentially be in another 4-5yrs...

Both are going to be good for a long time and both teams are thrilled it’s their guy.
That’s just f***ing stupid, I’m sorry :laugh:

Reactions: Koijari

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Talk about overstating things. By stripping the puck you mean Karlsson batted the puck off mid air near boards and none of the 3 players from Dallas decided to cover up a D who was the first one in the rush? That's hardly Heiskanen's fault. And as I'm sure you know (but somehow forgot it in this case) that you should never make an assumption how the player plays the game from one play.
He is a D and took a chance. He left his D partner alone to cover for him. It's a great reward, great risk play. People here try to paint the picture that this is how Dahlin plays and Heiskanen is responsible and low risk but putting up better point totals. It's a bull shit narrative.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
This guy, but Heiskanen isn't that far behind.

It’s nice and all, but what did he really create from that play? Btw I’m gonna say this again as people think I have a huge bias because of my username, but I think they are equal in talent, but Heiskanen is better at the moment for sure. He plays against the best players and is a shutdown D-man while outscoring Dahlin.

These kids will be a treat to watch in the future, I really don’t think there is a D in the League who can compete with these two in another 5-6 years.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
He is a D and took a chance. He left his D partner alone to cover for him. It's a great reward, great risk play. People here try to paint the picture that this is how Dahlin plays and Heiskanen is responsible and low risk but putting up better point totals. It's a bull **** narrative.
Heiskanen is actually reaaaaallly rarely making those kind of plays, where as I see Dahlin make risky plays 3-4 times a game.

And yes I’ve seen around 10 Buffalo games this year and around 10 Dallas games also..

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
It’s nice and all, but what did he really create from that play? Btw I’m gonna say this again as people think I have a huge bias because of my username, but I think they are equal in talent, but Heiskanen is better at the moment for sure. He plays against the best players and is a shutdown D-man while outscoring Dahlin.

These kids will be a treat to watch in the future, I really don’t think there is a D in the League who can compete with these two in another 5-6 years.

The replay actually cut the last sequence when he got a shot on goal because the play started.
He had 8 shots on goal in that game btw. I agree with your last sentence though.

Reactions: FinnishSniper

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Karlsson knocked that puck off the glass out of mid air on Heiskanen's attempted dump in and no forwards covered for Miro when the puck deflected past him out to center ice (makes sense cause our worst defensive line was out). Stars coach wasn't mad about that play at all by Heiskanen. It was a great/lucky play by Karlsson and horrible forward coverage by the Stars which is what Monty ended up saying as well. Heiskanen was actually really good defensively tonight
I'm not saying he is bad defensively. I'm not trying to create a narrative. I'm calling out peoples bullshit agenda driven talking points.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Heiskanen is actually reaaaaallly rarely making those kind of plays, where as I see Dahlin make risky plays 3-4 times a game.

And yes I’ve seen around 10 Buffalo games this year and around 10 Dallas games also..
This post is a prime example of what I'm talking about. Bullshit agenda driven talking points.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
The replay actually cut the last sequence when he got a shot on goal because the play started.
He had 8 shots on goal in that game btw. I agree with your last sentence though.
Yeah I know I watched the game, but it was way riskier than to just make an easier play there.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I'm not saying he is bad defensively. I'm not trying to create a narrative. I'm calling out peoples bull**** agenda driven talking points.
But you really seem biased yourself as you have not said a word about some posts trashing Miro, hmmmm...

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I'm not that much about "X better than Y", than I'm for the fact its really possible think along lines "Aha! Dallas playing tonight. Can Miro score in this game too?"

Like it would be perfectly normal thing you can even set that question seriously for all defensemen and expect that will happen a least with decent probability, even less when we talk about U20 rookie. Miro is excellent target for a bet.

Decades we Finns waited when we get some forwards more to score goals. Now we have even defenseman who can do that, and do it far better and above par for his role and expectancy. Happy, happy, joy, joy. Not taking anything out from Rasmus, but Miro is my pick of course. :)

More goals win in hockey game. If your puddy can also prevent them well, oh dear.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He is a D and took a chance. He left his D partner alone to cover for him. It's a great reward, great risk play. People here try to paint the picture that this is how Dahlin plays and Heiskanen is responsible and low risk but putting up better point totals. It's a bull **** narrative.
Cmon now, did you really think or did someone actually say that Heiskanen doesn't take his chances when it comes to rushes? They hardly backfire and most of the time something good comes from them, just like when he scored a goal tonight from the rush. He is really good in that regard and one sloppy zone entry won't change the big picture.

I think the play where Dahlin skates around everyone on 4vs4 is a good example how the players are different. While Dahlin trusts his skillset and hogs on the puck as long as possible, Heiskanen would never hold onto puck that long, you would see him make a pass before risking that he would lose the possession on the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad