Czech Republic: Czechs in North America (NHL, AHL, Junior)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Vaneček was surprisingly good tonight. Didn't really expect it.

Zacha was his usual self, hands of stone although physically he has developed very nicely. Zboril had a very strong game statistically but the Devils are hardly the toughest test.
30 saves, he did look pretty good. Let's see how it keeps going there. The good news is that he looks like he has an opportunity to get a good chunk of games in this season (eg. 20 games to Samsonovs 38) Still have Vladar, Korenar, Skarek and Dostal percolating. Rittich and Francouz are due for a start soon and both should get around 20 to 25 games.

Zboril also looks to be being given a full time shot. Sink or swim time for him. He is waiver elibible so his chances of being in the NHL all season are decent.

Zacha was always drafted way too high in probably one of the greatest drafts of all time. He'll never live that down and it isn't his fault he was overrated. Still, he is a solid NHLer who will have employment for a long time. He's elite at the PK and big. Could be the 3C of many franchises dreams! I'd kill for him as the 3c on the Oil. It's not the 100 point seasons I'm sure everyone envisioned but still a very useful NHL player. Eg. of the 3, he's the least likely to be back in Europe in the next 2 seasons. Happy he's getting top 6 minutes to start. Hope he doesn't get into drama with coaching staff.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Some Good.. some bad...

Good - Vanecek is getting regular starts. Vrana is doing very well. Hertl had a great start. Mrazek appears to be the 1A. Zboril is off to a 19 minute a night start. Hronek is on fire. Simek is back. Chytil is doing quite well from bottom 6. Voracek and Krejci both up to great starts. Up to 21 players and 2 goalies for 23 Czechs in NHL. Kaut got his debut last night (only 5 minutes)

Bad - Zadina is on Covid list. Francouz is injured and has yet to get a start. Rittich appears to be pasted to bench. Hajek on taxi squad. Frolik on taxi squad. Chlapik on taxi squad. Kase is probably out for awhile.

I assume Rittich and Francouz eventually get a start to push us to 25. I was hoping we'd hit 30... not sure if Kempny can return this season, assuming Frolik gets in games eventually, hope Hajek gets in eventually, Pastrnak is definitely coming back and I assume Frk gets ice time when he gets healthy.

Rest are outside chances - Chlapik, Lauko, Jenik, Skarek, Dostal, Vladar, Zohorna, Jasek, Reichel,

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I guess should add Michal Teply to outside chances. He just got called up the Taxi Squad which puts him one stop away from his NHL debut. Hawk's have some covid issues and he may get a game or 2 in which would be unbelievable considering Pesan threw him under a bus a few weeks ago.

Other Taxi Squad members include Frolik, Skarek, Chlapik and Hajek (who the coach recently said he loves and wants to get in - so that seems inevitable).

Zboril continues to play great and has been our second best Dman in the NHL this season. We only have 5 with Kempny gone but we may hit next season with 7 as Hajek should be a regular by then and Kempny will be back.

Chytil was off to an amazing start but is now out for awhile with an upper body injury.
Zadina was off to a good start but got put on the Covid list
Necas and Mrazek are doing great but covid protocols have stopped their team from playing.. in the last game Necas scored the OT winning goal and Mrazek had a shutout!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And Vanecek has been outstanding... .915 and has yet to lose in regulation. He was also taxi squad to start. Samsonov is back but I'm pretty sure Vanecek has done enough to get 50% of the starts for now. He may have forced a 1A/1B scenario. Might also be standing out for the Seattle expansion draft.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Chlapik got his debut last night!

We are up to 23 Czechs in the NHL plus 3 goalies.

Francouz should get a start eventually to put us to 23 plus 4. I said 30 this season get in at least a game. 3 more!

I'm guessing Hajek soon as NYR seem to be getting rid of a Dman.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Frk got in 9 minutes last night. We are now at 25 skaters and 3 goalies.

Francouz is still injured.
Frolik has yet to skate.

I'm guessing those 2 get in a game and put us at 30.

Mrazek is out with injury. Simek is slowly getting more minutes. Necas might be out awhile. Chytil is out awhile. Zadina just returned. Pastrnak is straight fire. Voracek is having a very good start. Kubalik is having a great campagin so far. O. Kase still out. Our IR ward is getting full!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Injuries continue to pileup...

Necas is back
Chytil is out
Kaut is not playing anywhere (same with Pytlik and Mysak who haven't played a game since Jrs)
D Kase, Lauko and Jenik all had some good AHL games
Dostal is on the big team but not likely to start
Frolik is now in the AHL
Simek is hurt
Nosek on Covid list
Voracek on Covid list I believe
Mrazek still out after surgery
Francouz has yet to play due to injury
Zboril got hurt last game
Vanecek is struggling now

Gong show of covid and injuries!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Mysak played his first AHL game!
Krutil signed an AHL contract to end of the year!!!

Frolik played in the AHL :-(
D. Kase looks to be playing tomorrow night and will be Czech 29 in the NHL if I am guessing correctly (still just a guess)
Hajek got 20 minutes last night in a nice surprise (been getting about 12 minutes on 3rd pair mostly)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kase got in... puts us at 29! He even got PP time which was surprising to me.

I honestly assumed next Czech was Frolik but he went the 'other way'.

Francouz is guaranteed for one game so that will be 30!

Hajek had another 20 minute night.

Vanecek with very good stats back to back after a lull of bad stats. I'm amazed he has gotten so many games, without googling, I thin he leads all Czechs Goalies in every stat.. who saw that coming? Mrazek and Francouz hurt, Big Save Dave buried behind Markstrom and Vitek is the best we got!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Necas with a nice 2 point night. Rittich lost but played very well and may get a few more starts going forward. Definitely backup but they were giving Markstrom every start and Rittich was clearly there to hand him his water bottle. Hoping to see more of a 1A/1B.

Samsonov is back so Vanecek's goaltending streak will end soon. Curious if he did enough to be considered a starter?

Crazy fact of the day... Chytil started the season very well and was playing great.. he got hurt... he's on IR.. while on IR he got placed on the Covid list.... what a shitty way to start a very promsiing season for one of our young studs. Czechs have had some insanely bad luck with Francouz, Chytil, Zadina, Mrazek and O. Kase all get some really bad luck.

Martin Kaut is one of my fav prospects... from Brno, a great player and on a team that should contend for years! He is having an awful go of it... 1 game with 5 minutes in the NHL... 0 games in the AHL... he's played 5 minutes in 2021 and it's almost March!

upload_2021-2-20_11-6-41.png

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Chlapik appears to be done in the NHL ... contract termination. Not sure what happened.

Interesting AHL fact... we have 5 Czechs at a .ppg... Jenik, Lauko, Jasek, Zohorna and D. Kase.

Dostal and Vladar are doing very well in net...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-2-27_12-13-25.png

Here is the top 10... amazing that Pastrnak is already first despite playing 11 games. Kubalik, Palat and Zacha continue to have good campaigns. Krejci is hurt. Only 1 D in top 10. I feel like Vrana/Hertl/Necas have more to give personally. Zadina was 11.

The bottom 10 is more concerning...

upload_2021-2-27_12-15-8.png

Frk is injured again. Kase played 10 minutes and then was sent back to AHL. He didn't play the second game so he either got hurt or the coach didn't like what he saw. Simon is not getting a regular start. Chlapik is no longer in the NHL... his contract was bought out. I have no idea what happened there but there has to be more to the story. Ondrej Kase shows no signs of a return right now. Nosek was on covid list. Kaut has played 6 minutes in 2021 and I have no idea what is going on there either. The only regular is David Kampf who does great work in a bottom 6 role. Hajek is also playing every game now. Simek is back from injury.

Still at 29... I thought Frolik would've played by now but not looking good. I thought Francouz would've played by now but he's still hurt. I am wondering about our .ppg AHL boys and if any of them get a callup - Jenik, Lauko, Jasek and Zohorna. D. Kase is also .ppg but I'm not sure what happened after his game.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Chlapik is now in Finland playing for Lahti with Bartosak and Cerveny. What a strange development! If anyone knows what happened, let me know.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Chytil with 2 points so he has 6 points in 8 games. He's been very good in NY. Hajek with his first of the season. The good news is that he's playing regularly in the NHL and doesn't seem to be on his way to a healthy scratch. Zadina had a nice game recently. Necas is on a heater which is great. Rittich is getting a lot of starts (but I hope not against my Oiler's tonight as we need a win, I hope they can put 6 on Markstrom not Rittich.lol).
Hronek point production has slowed down. Zacha has been quite good. Vrana could be doing a little more IMO. I often wish he'd get traded to be honest. I love the Caps but feel like he's buried behind Ovi (rightfully so) and I'm really not a fan of them bringing in Kovaluchuk on the playoff run and lowering his minutes after a career year.

Overall, it's been a very disjointed season for Czechs. Still waiting to see Francouz, Frolik and more of Simon (who was put on waivers and no one claimed him).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

And we stumble to 30! Vladar with a start tonight so not official yet.

That is the 4th Czech goalie to start an NHL game this season... Vanecek leads in all categories, Rittich had a nice spell as backup, Mrazek started great but had thumb surgery and now Vladar. Franouz is still out long term and it's not looking good for him. Wondering if Dostal gets a few NHL looks as the Duck's season winds down? Korenar is also having a solid season.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Jakub Lauko impressing with 13 P in 13GP..
Here are the AHL guys.. I had NO idea we had over 20 Czechs in the AHL... a lot of them have played 1 or 2 games but we have a lot down there and some promising ones. Jenik started awesome but faded. Dostal and Lauko look most likely to be in NHL next season. Zohorna might get a chance this season... I think he's earned it. No idea what happened with Kase as he looks to be a great player in my eyes.

upload_2021-3-24_11-12-25.png

Poor Kaut just not doing much this season... maybe played 10 games total. I was happen to see Safin is in the AHL and healthy.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Are you sure you aren't mixing him and his brother up? Because 8 points in 12 games is pretty solid from David.
Flyer's had a Covid shortage of players and had to ice half an AHL team... David Kase got the call to play 2 games. He played less than 10 minutes in game 1 and was shipped back to AHL before game 2. He hasn't seen the NHL since.

That's what I mean about I don't know what the coach didn't like or why he didn't play the second game which also had a depleted lineup.

I'm a big fan but I get he's a bottom 6 NHL player but I love watching him do his thing.

Since I'm on bottom 6... Radim Zohorna is SO close to gettting a game! and Lukas Dostal was the backup last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad