Czech Republic: Czechs in North America (NHL, AHL, Junior)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
NHL.com - Stats

So far we have 22 guys that have played in the NHL this season (and I think every team has played at least once).

This doesn't include Mrazek and Rittich who are both currently being treated as starters for their teams (which is great news). So 24.

I assume Francouz gets a start soon. So 25.

Simek and Kempny are due to return soon. 27.

Our bumper crop took a hit when Chytil was sent down (to focus on being a centre) as I had him as a lock for the NHL this year. I assume he'll be back soon. Zadina and Kaut were also sent down. Not sure how much we'll see of either.

Filip Chlapik cracked the lineup, played 5 minutes and had an awesome setup pass! Then got benched the next game.

Goalies:

Vladar got passed in the depth chart by Samsonov unfortunately. Vanecek didn't crack the lineup. Nor did Korenar. Skarek is now in the ECHL. Dostal is in Finland (which is where Skarek should be!). I'm not sure anyone in this group gets an NHL game this season. Am I missing anyone?

D:

Zboril and Masin both got sent down and are now starting to not live up to promise as they are 3 years removed from draft. I'm very high on both but can see them back in Europe soon. I can't think of any other D in North America that is 'close' to cracking an NHL lineup? Am I missing anyone?

F:

I assume Chlapik is heading back to the AHL. Jasek, Kase, Frk and Spacek represent our next wave after Chytil/Kaut/Zadina. Not sure how many games they'll get.

I've noticed that Teply and Pytlik are off to very strong starts in Junior. Curious how the rest do. Again, not seeing any great D prospects anywhere.

Has is in Finland.

I'm positive I missed a tonne of prospects. Thought this would be a good place to post updates on how Czechs are doing all over North America.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
In the good start column... Ondrej Kase is healthy and was first star last night! Nosek had a 3 point night as well. Vrana scored in 2 out of 3 games and is looking very good. Gudas with 2 points in 3 games is surprising! Rittich was awsome in the Colorado loss and in the Vancouver win. I'm not sure what his stat line is but he's been great in both games and looks to be the calmest Czech goalie I've ever seen. Faksa is getting more minutes. Hertl and Hronek both get more than 20 a night so far. Vrana is up about 3 mintues from last year as well.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Lastly... Simek and Kempny are returning and Polak is out for awhile. We can't seem to ever have 6 healthy D in the NHL at the same time.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It would appear that Martin Hanzal is heading towards an early retirement.

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
I don't think you've missed any significant names. Jakub Lauko is the only one I can think of who has an outside chance for a call up in case of injuries.

Frk you probably misplaced?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Korenar is the main man starting in the AHL for San Jose this year. Simek I think is out a few more days and then returning likely to Burns side. Radil has been playing with Hertl but has been pretty awful so likely moves down to the fourth or scratched.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't think you've missed any significant names. Jakub Lauko is the only one I can think of who has an outside chance for a call up in case of injuries.

Frk you probably misplaced?
Frk is on farm. Scored last night! Who knows how long he stays down.

Lauko! You're right. He had a good camp. Might grow that little Czech colony in Boston. Is he still U20 eligible? I'd like him there if possible

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Korenar is the main man starting in the AHL for San Jose this year. Simek I think is out a few more days and then returning likely to Burns side. Radil has been playing with Hertl but has been pretty awful so likely moves down to the fourth or scratched.
I was thrilled Radil made it. I think he ends up like Hyka and in KHL next year but hope he sticks.

I'm really worried Kempny and Simek struggle upon return. Both teams miss them and they established themselves which is great.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Thank for starting this thread.

Some very intriguing juniors this year have been Pytlik(Soo), Ivan(Cape Breton), Novak(Kelowna), and Kubicek(Seattle).

Michal Gut is also someone to watch. All these guys are around a ppg to start the season.
Hopefully they can continue at this pace.
Since I live in Ottawa, I should be able to go see Pytlik here in February.
Curious to see how many of these guys make the Czech team this year..

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Some very intriguing juniors this year have been Pytlik(Soo), Ivan(Cape Breton), Novak(Kelowna), and Kubicek(Seattle).

Michal Gut is also someone to watch. All these guys are around a ppg to start the season.
Pytlik and Kubicek will probably make it in limited role. Novak would be in the mix as well if we had a different coach.

I am dissapointed, but not surprised, Zabransky has only two points through ten games so far. To this day I don't understand how he managed to be such point machine in the Czech junior league as a U17 defenseman. To think Zabransky is our likely number one defenseman at the WJC... not good at all.

Reactions: czechgame

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Czechboy, thanks for setting up this thread!

It is very nice to see Hronek developing into a great defender.

Also Hajek is getting some minutes in NY, has someone watched his game? Will he remain in the NHL or be sent down again?

Zboril is definitely the biggest question mark. I wonder if Cassidy will give him some ice time this season. Whenever I saw Zboril play, I felt this ambivalence. In my opinion he definitely has the skillset to be up there, but he has those passive and sluggish moments. Will he be able to fix that and become more consistent, what do you guys think (I know your take on that topic already, Wooren :laugh:)?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I'm very high in pytlik... Think he could rise in rankings as year progresses. Pekar is also doing very well.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Pytlik and Kubicek will probably make it in limited role. Novak would be in the mix as well if we had a different coach.

I am dissapointed, but not surprised, Zabransky has only two points through ten games so far. To this day I don't understand how he managed to be such point machine in the Czech junior league as a U17 defenseman. To think Zabransky is our likely number one defenseman at the WJC... not good at all.
Our D is going to be something at the U20s.lol. Kubicek might do well. Maybe Has lives up to potential but I could honestly see not one of those guys ever playing 1 NHL game

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Also Hajek is getting some minutes in NY, has someone watched his game? Will he remain in the NHL or be sent down again?

Zboril is definitely the biggest question mark. I wonder if Cassidy will give him some ice time this season. Whenever I saw Zboril play, I felt this ambivalence. In my opinion he definitely has the skillset to be up there, but he has those passive and sluggish moments. Will he be able to fix that and become more consistent, what do you guys think (I know your take on that topic already, Wooren :laugh:)?
No problem... Happy people are talking.

Zboril stands very little chance in Boston. Hope he gets traded or picked up on waivers.

Masin has more NHL chance now but he's also on a deep team.

Hajek... I watched rangers and oil play and was surprised he got 15 minutes because I didn't notice anything he did... Good or bad. I do think he will stick and I do think he'll be a good NHL player.

That D is always so bleak... Polak is injured... Simek/Kempny still out, Hajek is fringe. Hronek is flying! Gudas is also very solid. How the czechs can't produce a good Dman every other season is beyond me when Sweden creates 2 or 3 every season. We are really awful at creating good dmen.

Goalies are doing well and francouz was first star. Calgary is leaving Rittich out to dry... They are not playing well.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Zacha with 2 points as well.. him and Hall seem to be doing well together. His is my most polarizing Czech player.

czechgame

Mar 16, 2019
I'm very high in pytlik... Think he could rise in rankings as year progresses. Pekar is also doing very well.

If he keeps up this pace, he could easily be the 1st rounder. According to this page he is now 2nd in scoring among draft eligible players in the OHL. Points aren’t everything, but it is good sign.

Reactions: Czechboy

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague

I have only seen Hajek last season, but he looked very good. Modern defensive defenseman with some offense still untapped. If he keeps playing like that he shouldn't be sent, but again, I have not seen him this year yet.

Regarding Zboril, I have seen him multiple times this pre-season. Compared to his two NHL games, where he was horrendous, in the pre-season games he looked decent, borderline NHL ready. On some other teams he might very well be a regular, there are worse regulars for sure. But he has no NHL future in Boston. He might get some more games this year, hopefully to successfully showcase him as a potential trade asset, but if he somehow remains with Boston even for the following season, there still won't be space for him. Assuming Chara retires and Krug walks, that leaves two LD spots open. One will likely be reserved for John Moore, who is currently injured, the other will be between Zboril/Vaakanainen/Lauzon. Having seen all of them, Vaakanainen would be my choice with Lauzon being second. Zboril got leapfrogged by nearly everyone on Boston depth chart in my eyes, such dissapointing prospect. But reports from Providence are somewhat optimistic and hail Zboril as the most ready one I believe, so who knows.

Our D is going to be something at the U20s.lol. Kubicek might do well. Maybe Has lives up to potential but I could honestly see not one of those guys ever playing 1 NHL game
Not that unlikely unfortunately. The defensive core is awful top to bottom and ultimately will sink us at the tournament, who knows, maybe as deep as the relegation rounds.

On a more positive note, I really doubt we will have this bad defense in the next 2-3 years again, future age groups show more upside. It's just unfortunate we get this abomination for the home WJC. Dostal will need to be even better than last year, which I doubt is even humanly possible. :laugh:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Some really good things happening right now.. Mrazek with his first shutout and undefeated, Voracek with 3 points last night, Hertl finally getting on scoresheet, Necas had a nice 4 game point streak and is looking great with Dzingl, Pastrnak is heating up.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kase has avoided injury and is doing a very good job in Anaheim. He might be the most underrated Czech in the NHL. Hope he stays healthy and belts out 40 to 50 points.

Pastrnak is now the leading goal scorer in the league!

Kempny is back and scored in his first game!

Chytil is tearing up the AHL and should get a callback soon. Lauko is doing very well for a teenager in the AHL... 2 goals in 7 points doesn't seem like much but teenagers tend to not tear up the AHL. It's a very promising sign.

Zadina, on the other hand, is not doing much. I was positive he was the next great NHL Czech and there is still time but I thought he'd be an NHLer by now.

Kaut with zero points so far.

Francouz had another sensational game. 2-0 and one of 3 stars both times. He is on a powerhouse team. Hopefully he can work his way into a 1a/1b scenario with Grubauer.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Kase has avoided injury and is doing a very good job in Anaheim. He might be the most underrated Czech in the NHL. Hope he stays healthy and belts out 40 to 50 points.

Pastrnak is now the leading goal scorer in the league!

Kempny is back and scored in his first game!

Chytil is tearing up the AHL and should get a callback soon. Lauko is doing very well for a teenager in the AHL... 2 goals in 7 points doesn't seem like much but teenagers tend to not tear up the AHL. It's a very promising sign.

Zadina, on the other hand, is not doing much. I was positive he was the next great NHL Czech and there is still time but I thought he'd be an NHLer by now.

Kaut with zero points so far.

Francouz had another sensational game. 2-0 and one of 3 stars both times. He is on a powerhouse team. Hopefully he can work his way into a 1a/1b scenario with Grubauer.
Zadina is very dissapointing, I consider him the most naturally talented forward from the 1999 bunch, but he isn't doing anything.
Kaut was rushed, horrible decision on Colorado's part. They deserve him to bust, although I wish Kaut all the best.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Zadina is very dissapointing, I consider him the most naturally talented forward from the 1999 bunch, but he isn't doing anything.
Kaut was rushed, horrible decision on Colorado's part. They deserve him to bust, although I wish Kaut all the best.
I have dreams of those 5 guys (Hajek, Necas, Zadina, Kaut and Chytil) all being good to great NHLers for the next decade. We need all 5 to pan out. Not looking so great so far. I'm starting to think one my other favourite prospects isn't going to make the NHL at all - Michal Spacek.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I didn't realize this till today... Jan Rutta has yet to play a game. He signed a nice contract and kept himself in the NHL. I was happy for the guy but he hasn't played yet... is this injury or just buried on a strong team?

czechgame

Mar 16, 2019
I didn't realize this till today... Jan Rutta has yet to play a game. He signed a nice contract and kept himself in the NHL. I was happy for the guy but he hasn't played yet... is this injury or just buried on a strong team?
Rutta has been healthy scratch in all games this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad