Czech Republic: Czechs in North America (NHL, AHL, Junior)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Defensemen
Sweden 40/357
Finland 13/118
Russia 8/96
Czech 7/74 (23 of them is Hronek)
Swiss 6/69

We have competitive forwards (unfortunately best are wingers) and now also decent (not great) goalies, but we lack defensemen. We have only one above 20 mins average TOI. I feel that's where incompetence of CSLH is most visible, last 10 years they talk how we should focus on developing defensemen and the result is 2 under 25 in NHL, another 2 in AHL (3 if you count Sklenicka).
Awesome stats.. thanks for finding them.

The only saving grace is that Simek and Hajek have missed a lot of games with injuries. Polak was out for awhile too. Those 3, if healthy all season, would probably have another 15 points (maybe) and we'd be closer to Russia.

Russia with such a low total is shocking... they might be having their own issues?

Sweden with 40 NHL D (more D than we have players) is just amazing!

I had no idea there were 6 Swiss D. Good for them! I get Josi would be most those points but am really impressed. They, unfortunately, don't have an NHL goalie or one coming (that I can see).

Totally agree with your post... we can't develop D. This years Junior had 1 Dman drafted (5th round, Has). That's it. Kubicek, Klikorka and Kucherik (sp?) might be drafted but none are a guarantee.

Galvas, Kral and Salda all have a long road to get to the NHL if they do make it.

Even worse when you see national team D, Moravcik, get sent to the ECHL when he comes over. Really puts our D in perspective.

Still preying to see Masin and Zboril!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I got Juniors obsessed so I've missed out on North America... ironically, my Oiler's have been on a tear. It's probably best for both Czechs and Oilers if I don't watch.

Trying to keep up with everything is a bit nuts right now.lol

Has went to the OHL ... played one game and then immediately got traded. Eg. he's already played for 2 OHL teams since the Juniors ended last week.lol He is now in Guelph who is apparantly a strong team (happy to be corrected).

Varada whipping boy Pekar was also traded from Barrie (where he was awesome) to Sudbury. I don't know enough to know if this is a good move from him (eg. maybe he went from a non playoff team to a contender?)

Kase is back up
Frk is back down

Nick Malik is in Canada now. So is Mysak. Strondola moved in the Czech league.

I haven't kept count but I think 5 guys on our junior team have switched locations at least once... Mysak, Malik, Has, Pekar and Strondala.

Pytlik is invited to Top Prospects game which is a big deal.

We have 2 Czechs in NHL all star game - while the game is garbage, the prestige in the invite is very good. Hertl and Pastrnak!

Hajek is still injured. Rutta is playing regular minutes in Tampa now. Polak is healthy and playing. Vrana is 1 goal shy of 20 goals. Necas scored an insane goal last night in a tremendous display of skating/edge work for his 10th. Him and Kubalik are veyr high in rookie goal scoring. Kubalik is on the rise as well as he's scoring more and more and getting better and better linemates. I tune in occasionally to watch and have to say, I love David Kampf! He won't be an all star but if you like yourself a Zohorna, he's better at the 'cerna prace'.

Francouz is rocking a career .926 save percentage which is damn near elite. Small sample size, less pressure as a backup. On the other side, Cam Talbot is heating up... not good for Rittich. Mrazek continues to be a starter and his record is excellent but his stats are 'okay'.

Hronek and Zadina continue to be outstanding and solid respectively. Zadina has 1 more point in 10 less games than Jesperi Kontkiniami (sp?)... so he's outscoring him this season. Nothing against the awesome Finn but this makes me happy.

Chytil has cooled off.

I was thinking about the world's and, obviously, my concern is D. In a weird Czech note... all our good D are packaged with a good forward... so certain teams eliminations could really help our team in April.

Eg.

Detroit has our best D Hronek... frees up Zadina too!
Tampa has Ruuta... and Palat.
Washington has Kempny, Gudas... and Vrana.
NYR have Hajek... and Chytil.
SJ have Simek.. and Hertl!

To my knowedlge, only Rutta is UFA at the end of hte season?

NYR and DET won't make playoffs. Imagine if we got Hajek/Hronek on our blue line with Zadina/Chytil up front? Toss in that SJ is far back and we add Simek to Hajek/Hronke and Hertl to Zadina/Chytil? Beauty mix of veterans/rookies.

All our NHL goalies are in playoff contention. Bartosak is currently on a mental health leave. I think it's time to use AHL goalies like Vladar, Korenar and Vanecek (if available). I'm positive if they come back to Europe that they'll end up our best Euro goalies. Skarek is also getting AHL starts which is good news for his development.

Injuries have derailed him but Safin is doing well in the ECHL. He's a million miles from the NHL but he might get AHL time this season and full AHL season next year to prove himself (and his durability).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Needs to be said... Kubalik is on fire. Leads rookies in goal scoring and has 10 points in his last 6 games including 7 goals. I thought he'd make the NHL but I didn't think he'd crack the first line and have this much success. Hopefully he can sustain it and it's not just a 'heater'.

One thing that has improved in Czech hockey is our shooting. For a decade we had pass first playmakers and hard working 200 ft players but no scorers. The days of Milan Hejduk winning the Rocket Richard were far in the rearview mirror for a long time.

Now we have the leading NHL goal scorer in Pastrnak. The leading rookie Goal scorer in Kubalik. Vrana is at 20 goals already. Chytil and Necas are 10 goal scorers as well. Zadina looks to eventually be a goal scorer too. We actually have some legit goal scorers now.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kase lasted 1 game and 5 minutes. However, on a good note, Daniel Vladar is now a backup in the NHL (due to a Halak injury that should've never happened). Who knows, maybe he gets a start.

Rittich is joining Hertl and Pastrnak at the All Star game. Without googling I'm going to say it's been awhile since we had 3 players at the All Star game and a goalie at one. Yes I know it's watered down and certain players like Ovi and a goalie I can't remember declined and took the 1 game suspension.

Reactions: Mirus

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Needs to be said... Kubalik is on fire. Leads rookies in goal scoring and has 10 points in his last 6 games including 7 goals. I thought he'd make the NHL but I didn't think he'd crack the first line and have this much success. Hopefully he can sustain it and it's not just a 'heater'.

One thing that has improved in Czech hockey is our shooting. For a decade we had pass first playmakers and hard working 200 ft players but no scorers. The days of Milan Hejduk winning the Rocket Richard were far in the rearview mirror for a long time.

Now we have the leading NHL goal scorer in Pastrnak. The leading rookie Goal scorer in Kubalik. Vrana is at 20 goals already. Chytil and Necas are 10 goal scorers as well. Zadina looks to eventually be a goal scorer too. We actually have some legit goal scorers now.

Two more goals for Kubalik tonight!

I've been thinking the same thing. Pasta, Vrana, Kubalik, Zadina.. they are all really good scorers. That's really nice for a change.
It's also pretty good generation shaping up (Pasta is already a superstar, Hertl is almost PPG player, Vrana is gettting there, Necas has the potential to be there too, Kubalik can be something like 30-30 player (maybe more?), let's see how Chytil and Zadina develops but so far they are looking good..).. Goalies are the best we've had in years now (Rittich and Francouz playing very well so far, Mrazek is also solid, Vladar is having a good season in the AHL..). Now if we just had 2-3 Hronek-like defensmen we might be back on track to the TOP6. But well...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I've been thinking the same thing. Pasta, Vrana, Kubalik, Zadina.. they are all really good scorers. That's really nice for a change.
It's also pretty good generation shaping up (Pasta is already a superstar, Hertl is almost PPG player, Vrana is gettting there, Necas has the potential to be there too, Kubalik can be something like 30-30 player (maybe more?), let's see how Chytil and Zadina develops but so far they are looking good..).. Goalies are the best we've had in years now (Rittich and Francouz playing very well so far, Mrazek is also solid, Vladar is having a good season in the AHL..). Now if we just had 2-3 Hronek-like defensmen we might be back on track to the TOP6. But well...
The great thing about Hertl is that he is a bic Centre. We're not the best at making Centre's either. Chytil and Necas (who's curently playing W) could also develop into excellent C's. I keep calling that crop the 'bronze generation'.

Only D I see coming up is Hajek and I think he could be excellent but needs time. He's a in a great spot in NY because there isn't that much pressure this year and the GM wants to play him because he was part of a big trade. For what it's worth, Filip Kral is Top 4 for scoring for D in the WHL as an overager. He might be able to crack the AHL next year. I don't see much out coming out of Has, Kubicek, Zabransy, Salda etc. Guess we'll see.

For the goal scorers... it looks like Mysak might be a goal scorer too. So our shooting is on the rise. Kubalik is on fire right now.. 3 points last night, something like 8 goals in his last games. He's one of hottest players in the entire NHL. He's also playing with Toews. It's fantastic. Your 30-30 seems about right and it's exactly what the Czechs need.

Vrana is also on a really good clip as he's got 4 goals in his last 5 games. All his goals are gorgeous too. He's not tipping it in the paint or potting rebounds. He's extremely close to career highs in every category... He's at 40 points. His PB was 47 in a full season. 24 goals last season and he's at 22. 5 more assists to eclipse his assists PB. Also on a cup contender and keeping up with an all star cast.

Vladar is now the backup in Boston. I said it was a Halak injury.. it was a Rask injury. My bad. I think he might get his first NHL start this season.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Our double digit crew:

upload_2020-1-19_10-30-18.png

Pastrnak isn't due to regress anytime soon. Vrana is 15th. Kubalik is 26th. So we have 3 in the Top 30! Including number 1. Necas and Chytil can only get better. Only guy on the list that might regress next year is Palat but he's in a great spot in TB.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

In order to be back on track to the top 6, we would need to fall off from that position in the first place. At no point have we been surpassed by anyone, frankly not even matched. We are behind the other top 6 nations by a good margain, but still comfortably the 6th best nation in the world. There are lots of bad things going on with Czech hockey, but this is just media driven narrative.

Regarding goalscorers, Kubalik has been pleasant surprise. I had zero doubts he would be a good NHLer from day one, without any AHL time needed. But my expectations going into this season has been somewhat of 20g-20a in 82 games. He managed that in a little over a half of the season, at least goal-wise. About 50 points and 30 goals is probably realistic outcome now, which would be a terrific rookie season, even if he's older than your average rookie.
Ondrej Kase is also a player who in my opinon also has 30+ goal potential, despite showing the exact opposite this season. He is oozing potential, putting the net on goal a lot, it's just not going in. Might be a damaged goods at this point though, suffered way too many severe injuries.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
In order to be back on track to the top 6, we would need to fall off from that position in the first place. At no point have we been surpassed by anyone, frankly not even matched. We are behind the other top 6 nations by a good margain, but still comfortably the 6th best nation in the world. There are lots of bad things going on with Czech hockey, but this is just media driven narrative.

Regarding goalscorers, Kubalik has been pleasant surprise. I had zero doubts he would be a good NHLer from day one, without any AHL time needed. But my expectations going into this season has been somewhat of 20g-20a in 82 games. He managed that in a little over a half of the season, at least goal-wise. About 50 points and 30 goals is probably realistic outcome now, which would be a terrific rookie season, even if he's older than your average rookie.
Ondrej Kase is also a player who in my opinon also has 30+ goal potential, despite showing the exact opposite this season. He is oozing potential, putting the net on goal a lot, it's just not going in. Might be a damaged goods at this point though, suffered way too many severe injuries.
Really hoping to see Ondrej Kase at the World's with Kubalik.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010

It migh have been misleading, I didn't mean it this way.. Technically for sure we are TOP6 but I don't think of it as there is a TOP6.. there is TOP5, then quite a big gap and then no doubt, we are at the 6th place.. I guess I just should've written join BIG5 (to create BIG6) :)

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
We have 3 players in TOP 10 even strength goals and 3 TOP 10 in rookie goals...seems we started to pruduce goalscorers, maybe we can start producing defenders now?

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Varada is no longer the U20 coach. Personally, I felt he could've done much better 2 years ago when he had Necas, Zadina, Lauko and Jenik on the roster with a smoking hot Dostal in net. This year, I don't blame him at all and don't think any trainer was getting much out of our team (especially after losing our top 2 forwards). I actually think he did a good job and I really enjoyed the team. Constantly firing coaches is something weak NHL teams (like my Oilers) do. It's the easiest fix but it never solves the problem. More talent solves the problem. Having said that, I like the looks of next years team as all our top guys won't be in the NHL and they'll be one year older. Not that I think it's a gold medal club but I think they'll be closer in terms of overall competition.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
We have 3 players in TOP 10 even strength goals and 3 TOP 10 in rookie goals...seems we started to pruduce goalscorers, maybe we can start producing defenders now?
Even better is that Zadina has played almost half the games of the other rookies. He's played 26 games. Only Kubalik and Olofsson are scoring at a higher goal per game rate... we could've had 3 rookies in the top 4 rookies for goal scoring. Zadina, Kubalik and Necas all seem to be getting better as season goes along... curious how this chart looks at end of season. Shame Cale Makar isn't Czech - we could really use a guy like him! Also, really nice to see both Zadina and Necas are outscoring Comtois :)

upload_2020-1-23_12-17-3.png

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, my dreams of having Hertl as our 1C have vanished. I feel like a: we rarely have 1C's and b: they are always injured at the worst possible time.

Eg. the World Cup had no Krejci. Jenik went down in a freak accident at Juniors. Hertl is now out of the Worlds (not that it was guaranteed he was going).

I was really hoping to see our C's be Hertl, Chytil, Kovar, Kampf
Wingers to be Kubalik, O Kase, Zadina,
D needs Simek, Hronek, Hajek (despite struggles he is our best prospect)

I"m worried Zadina will be sent to Calder Cup playoffs. I"d like David Kase, Frk, Chlapik, Spacek, Zboril, Masin and, despite a poor showing, Martin Kaut but they may be in playoff runs for the AHL.

Of the Euro's.. Sedlak, Kovar, Jaskin, Sustr, Jerabek.

Goalies are not looking good as all 3 are playoff bound right now... I wasn't that big on Bartosak and he's in the Swedish second division now. I'd go with Neuvirth if he's healthy and playing. He might be motivated to get back to the NHL too... he hasn't played though but I heard he signed with Praha. Also, if either Vanecek, Vladar or Korenar are available.. it's time to give them a look. They are all much closer to being NHL goalies that our Euro goalies - except for Dostal.

And yes, I realize this will never happen but I'm tired of the preference for Euro players over the guys that are in North America and battling to get in the NHL. I honestly think it'd be better to give our young AHL guys the ice time as those guys were also the captains and best players when they were Juniors. I just don't beleive the Extraliga is a better talent pool than the AHL given that the AHL graduates 100's of NHL players and the Extraliga graduates 1 or 2 in a strong year and typically 0. Any Czech that leaves Europe almost always ends up in the AHL including Kovar, Rittich, Necas and Pastrnak. Kubalik was a great exception from the Swiss league.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
BLOG: Další rána pro český hokej aneb dokončení mozaiky současné reality

Here is an uplifting piece on Czech hockey. If you don't read Czech... some highlights include that we are the 5th best league in Europe officially now, 2012 was our last medal at the World's, 2005 was our last medal at the Juniors, Germans are doing better, Swiss are doing better and there is no sign of improvement. Great read that didn't depress me one bit.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Here is the table they were referencing... doesn't include KHL so we're actually 6th:
upload_2020-2-5_11-39-38.png

please note this is based on Champion's League results and I don't value the Champion's League or EHT very much as proof of anything. I think it's cool we had a finalist in the Spengler and Champions League this season. However, Stutzl and Hischier are both higher ranked prospects than the Czechs have had in a very long time and that is concerning.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
BLOG: Další rána pro český hokej aneb dokončení mozaiky současné reality

Here is an uplifting piece on Czech hockey. If you don't read Czech... some highlights include that we are the 5th best league in Europe officially now, 2012 was our last medal at the World's, 2005 was our last medal at the Juniors, Germans are doing better, Swiss are doing better and there is no sign of improvement. Great read that didn't depress me one bit.lol
I disagree. The Swiss are no better off. These are false arguments. They won the medal, they were almost in the strongest line-up, this has not happened in our country lately. Hischier as number one, but that's nice, teas are better than Vrana, or perhaps Pasta? And who else have they recently? Fialu? Maybe Meier, we have young players with similar potential, and not one.
The Germans have Drai, then nothing for a long time, and only now. Ruzicka is right in the fact that our hockey is not good, but many people describe the situation even worse than reality.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I disagree. The Swiss are no better off. These are false arguments. They won the medal, they were almost in the strongest line-up, this has not happened in our country lately. Hischier as number one, but that's nice, teas are better than Vrana, or perhaps Pasta? And who else have they recently? Fialu? Maybe Meier, we have young players with similar potential, and not one.
The Germans have Drai, then nothing for a long time, and only now. Ruzicka is right in the fact that our hockey is not good, but many people describe the situation even worse than reality.
I agree that the last few years for the Swiss have not seen many players drafted and they no longer have an NHL goalie. Having said that, I feel like they've had more success than us at the tourneys - JR and World's.

Germans have Peterka, Stutzl and Reichel coming up very soon. They might have 3 guys go in round of the draft in June. It's been awhile since the Czechs had 3 in the first round. This year Mysak might be a first rounder.

I do agree that today that we have more NHL players and a deeper team but the German's have a few very good NHL goalies and the Swiss have Josi and we don't have a Jose (although, Hronek looks to become one).

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I agree that the last few years for the Swiss have not seen many players drafted and they no longer have an NHL goalie. Having said that, I feel like they've had more success than us at the tourneys - JR and World's.

Germans have Peterka, Stutzl and Reichel coming up very soon. They might have 3 guys go in round of the draft in June. It's been awhile since the Czechs had 3 in the first round. This year Mysak might be a first rounder.

I do agree that today that we have more NHL players and a deeper team but the German's have a few very good NHL goalies and the Swiss have Josi and we don't have a Jose (although, Hronek looks to become one).
I don't see how three Germans going in the 1st round would change anything in terms of comparing Czech Republic and Germany as whole. In fact, I don't even see why make the comparison in the first place, Germany is not close to our level as of now, one random medal (at a C-level tournament to boot) and their golden 2002 generation don't change much.

As for the Swiss, it's never mentioned in Czech media, likely because it doesn't fit the narrative of falling behind everyone, but their junior teams have actually gotten worse over the past couple years, still competetive due to good skating and team effort, but where are the Niederreiters, Fialas and Meiers of their current generations? Since 2015, Hischier is the only Swiss player who has gone top 100 in a draft.

Reactions: Rexor and Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't see how three Germans going in the 1st round would change anything in terms of comparing Czech Republic and Germany as whole. In fact, I don't even see why make the comparison in the first place, Germany is not close to our level as of now, one random medal (at a C-level tournament to boot) and their golden 2002 generation don't change much.

As for the Swiss, it's never mentioned in Czech media, likely because it doesn't fit the narrative of falling behind everyone, but their junior teams have actually gotten worse over the past couple years, still competetive due to good skating and team effort, but where are the Niederreiters, Fialas and Meiers of their current generations? Since 2015, Hischier is the only Swiss player who has gone top 100 in a draft.

I'd say the non Pro Olympics where Czechs finished 4th and Germans finished 2nd might add to the argument. Also, are we waiting till they pass us, like Finland, to be paniced? We've been 6th for a decade... have done nothing to move to 5th. It's not good. We've done nothing to make it a top 6 and we've just held that spot forever. For instance, if I was Finnish.. I'd give zero f***s that the German's have a bumper crop with 3 guys going in the first. However, I'm Czech and most drafts produce one NHL player. So when Germany cracks out 3 potential ones and beats us clean in a WJC game... I worry. Instead of moving to 5th or a 'top 6'... we face regression after years of incompetence in the Czech federation which, I'm pretty sure, you love about as much as I do.

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
So when Germany cracks out 3 potential ones and beats us clean in a WJC game... I worry.

Both Germany and Swiss can produce some elite talent, but so can Czechs (in 2014 we also had 3 first round talents...just Kase went much later). But unlike them we have depth...we produce 1-3 NHLeres every year. We don't produce enough elite talent to be competitive with top 5, but we produce enough depth to be above rest of the countries...and I'm afraid it'll be that way for a long time (unless Swiss or German improve their development)

Reactions: Rexor

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2020-2-13_12-7-36.png

Back on top, for now. Talk about keeping amazing company! I'm not sure if he wins it or not but will be following this race closely.

Frk got the call again and got a point. He now has 4 pts in 5 games. Yet, they will probably send him back down.lol

Was hoping Masin might get a look after the Tampa Injuries but to no avail. Starting to think Masin/Zboril will be on the EHT next year.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I've been following him a bit.. slow start, injury and then he's been doing quite well recently.

I'm not sure if he gets a start or not. I'm also not sure if they are showcasing him for a trade.

However, he's 'this close' to making the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad