Czech Republic: Czechs in North America (NHL, AHL, Junior)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think the hockey world is about to figure out how good Ondrej Kase is! I assume he'll be put on a line with Krejci/Debrusk and proceed to get some points. Happy for him to go to a cup contender and join 2 Czechs (and Vladar/Lauko). Sad he won't be going to the World's!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
More good news. Francouz extended for 2 more years. More surprisingly... So did Frk. He was high on my list of guys I thought would not be in the NHL next year. Both got 2 year, 1 way contracts! Kaut also got an assist in his second game!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czech It Out, Czech Hockey Is On The Way Back - Last Word on Hockey

I don't agree with all of it but it was a good read... I keep saying that we might have a 'bronze generation' coming through youngsters Chytil, Necas, Kaut, Zadina, Hajek and Hronek supported by veteran's Voracek, Krejci and Palat. Toss in our in prime guys - Hertl and Pastrnak and 3 NHL goalies all doing well plus a few young highly rated ones.

Just that damn D

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2020-3-1_11-48-34.png

woohoo... 4 year contract for Simek. This is good because it means that we have a small handful of Czech D in the NHL next year... Simek, Gudas, Kempny and Hronek all have contracts for next season. Hajek also has a contract but he seems to playing out the string in the AHL. Polak is retired from National Team but hopefully he gets another year. Rutta is UFA after this season. I can't see any next gen Czechs like Has or Kral cracking the NHL next year. Not looking good for Zboril and Masin. Hopefully Kubicek/Klikorka get drafted in the later rounds.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2020-3-1_11-52-41.png

Vrana is 28th with 25 goals and Kubalik is 16th with 29. 10th overall is Connor McDavid with 31 goals for reference. 3 Czechs in the top 30 for goals is exceptional. My quick look only saw 2 Russians for instance. 2 Finns. 3 Swedes.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Spacek loaned to ONT, Brickley to MAN - Context with Seeley - LA Kings Insider

One of my favourite Prospects.. Michal Spacek just got loaned to the LA farm team from the Jet's one. I think this might spell the end of Michal in North America. I could be wrong and hope I am. If I am right, I expect him to be a very good player in whatever European League he ends up in. He was SO CLOSE to a NHL game when he got called up by the Jet's but was kept in the pressbox (pays well) for a few weeks.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I see Jogi Svejkovsky has a son playing in the WHL...what happened to Jogi to cut his career so short?

Is his son a prospect?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Crazy stat of the day.. there are 4 Czech goalies still in the playoffs!

Mrazek is a 1A
Francouz is a 1B
Rittich is a 1B
Vladar is a clear backup

It's not Finland or anything but not bad.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Crazy stat of the day.. there are 4 Czech goalies still in the playoffs!

Mrazek is a 1A
Francouz is a 1B
Rittich is a 1B
Vladar is a clear backup

It's not Finland or anything but not bad.
Yeah that’s actually pretty sweet, and I don’t expect Czech goaltending to disappear anytime soon either. Really good to see

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah that’s actually pretty sweet, and I don’t expect Czech goaltending to disappear anytime soon either. Really good to see
Did a quick google and Samsonov is hurt. I'm going on record and saying we've never had 5 goalies in the playoffs before (even 5 backups). I have no idea if that is true though.lol

Agree... we have some good prospects coming up and hopefully at least 2 stick:

Vladar, Vanecek, Dostal, Skarek and Korenar. I'm positive I missed someone.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Really happy to see Rutta AND Frolik get 1 way contracts.

Rutta got a 2 year contract at 1.3 mill in Tampa which seems high on both dollars and term so I'm really happy for him.

Frolik got 1 year at 750K which seems a little low but I was starting to worry I'd seen the last of him. If Mysak goes to camp he might be able to help him out a little. Not that I expect Mysak to make the team but ask me in 2 weeks!

I'm really curious to see how it ends for Zboril with a 1 way contract and waiver eligible. Wondering if Hajek cracks the big club and sticks? Hoping Masin isn't done but it is not looking good.

Lundqvist injury might give Vanecek a better shot. Does Dostal make taxi squad?

Curious if guys like Kase, Blumel and Lauko get invites to camp?

Kaut, Necas, Chytl and Zadina are the big ones to watch for me.

Czechs have been sticking to 25 for a few years now.. nice to keep that going and try to hit 30.

Kempny out if not good.. we never have 6 healthy NHL Dmen.lol

I also expect Hronek to have a very good season!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-1-5_12-14-23.png

Here is how I think will play in Canadian division... hoping Chlapik and Jasek get a chance but though sledding.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-1-5_12-15-34.png

I'm REALLY hoping Hajek cracks the roster and same with Zohorna which would be a great bonus.

Vladar and Vanecek might be the 3rd goalies. Skarek should get AHL time. Pastrnak is hurt to start the year.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-1-5_12-17-19.png

Mrazek looks to be a starter on a, imo, underrated Carolina team. Necas and Zadina look to make some big steps. I think, given Pastrnak's injury to start, that Hronek might be our best Czech in NHL this year. Hoping for no softmore slump for Kubalik. Curious where they send Krutil, Chalupa and Teply after camp.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-1-5_12-20-50.png

Hertl could also be our best Czech this year. An outstanding and big C! Simek should have a good season if he stays healthy. Francouz should get a good healthy split of games on a very good Avs team.

Frk should be a full timer but I'll believe it when I see it. I hope Kaut makes it as that is a tremendous team. I like Dostal's chances to be honest and if Jenik is back to good health then I like his chances on an offense starved Coyotes team.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I was disapointed that D. Kase and J. Lauko didn't get invites.

Looking at the highlights... we should have about 25 full time Czechs and about 10 maybes. The maybe list is actually a good crop of players and represent our future for the most part: Kaut, Dostal, Korenar, Vladar, Vanecek, Hajek, Jenik, Zohorna, Chlapik, Jasek. Most those guys should become NHL regulars within 2 years if all goes well.

So it does look about as promising as it has been in a decade.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I was disapointed that D. Kase and J. Lauko didn't get invites.

Looking at the highlights... we should have about 25 full time Czechs and about 10 maybes. The maybe list is actually a good crop of players and represent our future for the most part: Kaut, Dostal, Korenar, Vladar, Vanecek, Hajek, Jenik, Zohorna, Chlapik, Jasek. Most those guys should become NHL regulars within 2 years if all goes well.

So it does look about as promising as it has been in a decade.
Early to tell but hence why I’ve been arguing that Czech hockey has gotten a bit better.
Also Jenik has been good so far this year in Finland. I think he deserves a chance to be playing in NHL this year.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Not the best day for a few prospects... some of this has to do with Taxi Squad so it might look worse than it is... still

Chlapik was put on waivers (please take him Oilers!)
Frolik was put on waivers
Zohornoa is off to the AHL (whenever that starts)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Vanecek seems to be part of the Caps goalie tandem! That should mean 4 Czechs have at least a start in the NHL this season... Mrazek, Rittich, Francouz and Vanecek.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Dostal and Lauko got shipped to AHL. These guys are all on the taxi squads:

upload_2021-1-13_14-55-31.png

For Vladar and Skarek that isn't a bad thing at all as they may get a chance. Was really hoping Hajek and Kaut had done enough to make main squad. Frolik will get spot duty and I'm not sure about Chlapik... I was kind of hoping he'd be picked up on waivers.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Vanecek with his first start tonight!

Kaut and Francouz still eating nachos.

Zboril got near 20 minutes in his first game and so did the mercurial Zacha who is now in top 6. Zadina also in top 6. Disapointingly, Chytil is in bottom 6 BUT he is playing with first overall Lafrenierre.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Vaneček was surprisingly good tonight. Didn't really expect it.

Zacha was his usual self, hands of stone although physically he has developed very nicely. Zboril had a very strong game statistically but the Devils are hardly the toughest test.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad