WJC: Czech Republic 2019 Roster Talk

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I had a feeling something like might eventually happen if he had a few bad games, but it's happening probably a week too late for him to play at this tournament. Don't agree with the decision either, as there's no way Chytil should be scratched or on the 4th, but Czech's have now filled all their slots.

Even if he was on the roster I'm sure Varada would place him on the 4th line :sarcasm: .

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I really like Salda's game. He played well on both sides of the puck last night. Easily a top 3 Dman on this team.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Even if he was on the roster I'm sure Varada would place him on the 4th line :sarcasm: .
Dammit! You beat me to the joke...

I was going to write how good Chytil would look on line 4 with Pour and Hrabik.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I really like Salda's game. He played well on both sides of the puck last night. Easily a top 3 Dman on this team.
The nice thing about our D is that they are all Top 3... Bukac to Galvas.. haven't seen much difference. We're very 'even'.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Question for our Czech friends... If you were to ice a combined Czech/Slovak team, would you expect to medal in this tournament?
Czechs are lackng quality D... I can't think of any in Slovakia that are that much better. Imo our goalies and forwards are better.

A few years ago we could've used guys like Chara, sekera and visnovksy to make us immideately better but today that really wouldn't help. Halak is about as good as rittich but maybe he would help? I don't see a guy like tatar moving us from 6th in the world to gold medal favourites

At the junior level... I really cant think of many Slovak players that would move the needle for us.

That is my long answer.

My other answer is that we are both very proud nations and are happy to keep separate. Despite our terrible coaches I wouldn't be happy to see a non Czech coach either. Although that is probably what we need.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
So is Mikyska... 99 born, undrafted.... starting to see a trend here. Hey look at that, Jakub Pour.. undrafted and 99 born.

Varada clearly has his guys that he won with and will ride them to the end.
Varada's obsession with the 99s is obvious unfortunately. Though it would make no difference if they were drafted. Bukac has been drafted and yet he gets outplayed by undrafted Kvasnicka, Mikyska and Gaspar.
I had a feeling something like might eventually happen if he had a few bad games, but it's happening probably a week too late for him to play at this tournament. Don't agree with the decision either, as there's no way Chytil should be scratched or on the 4th, but Czech's have now filled all their slots.

Lol at Rangers' management. Act like Chytil is a vital piece of the 1st line and as soon as the Czech team fills in all the roster spots, bench him. Yep, they really couldn't make it without Chytil those two weeks!
Czechs are lackng quality D... I can't think of any in Slovakia that are that much better. Imo our goalies and forwards are better.

A few years ago we could've used guys like Chara, sekera and visnovksy to make us immideately better but today that really wouldn't help. Halak is about as good as rittich but maybe he would help? I don't see a guy like tatar moving us from 6th in the world to gold medal favourites

At the junior level... I really cant think of many Slovak players that would move the needle for us.

That is my long answer.

My other answer is that we are both very proud nations and are happy to keep separate. Despite our terrible coaches I wouldn't be happy to see a non Czech coach either. Although that is probably what we need.
Fehervary is better than all of our defensemen by a fair margain. Not enough to make this team contender, especially with the coaching we have, but he would be a great addition.

Something to keep in mind: Despite hosting the WJC next year, Czechs can still be relegated. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the strongest team in 15 years lost to Denmark and then twice to Kazachstan/Slovakia, only to get relegated and miss a home WJC?

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Varada's obsession with the 99s is obvious unfortunately. Though it would make no difference if they were drafted. Bukac has been drafted and yet he gets outplayed by undrafted Kvasnicka, Mikyska and Gaspar.

Lol at Rangers' management. Act like Chytil is a vital piece of the 1st line and as soon as the Czech team fills in all the roster spots, bench him. Yep, they really couldn't make it without Chytil those two weeks!

Fehervary is better than all of our defensemen by a fair margain. Not enough to make this team contender, especially with the coaching we have, but he would be a great addition.

Something to keep in mind: Despite hosting the WJC next year, Czechs can still be relegated. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the strongest team in 15 years lost to Denmark and then twice to Kazachstan/Slovakia, only to get relegated and miss a home WJC?

Feherváry is a very good defenceman, but he is also by far, far, far the best player on the Slovak roster. Beside him, Slovakia has not much to offer. However, they should beat Kazakhstan, as well as the Czechs should beat Denmark.

Regarding the possibility of the Czechs being relegated/playing the relegation games: Of course, it can happen, but I believe guys will beat Denmark without any major problems. It will be all about themselves: If they play the game they certainly are capable of, there is no way for Denmark. The gap in the players' individual quality is simply too giant. They can lose the game only if they lose in their own heads first. I believe they will avoid this danger, beat Denmark, and score some goals to gain confidence. I don't see any need to project catastrophic scenarios now: They lost to Russia in a close game, and they lost to Canada in the back-to-back game, which, taking into account the superb qualities Canada possesses, is unpleasant but not disastrous. It is a pity that they didn't earn any points from the RUS and CAN games, but still, there is no need for the guys to feel ashamed.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Feherváry is a very good defenceman, but he is also by far, far, far the best player on the Slovak roster. Beside him, Slovakia has not much to offer. However, they should beat Kazakhstan, as well as the Czechs should beat Denmark.

Regarding the possibility of the Czechs being relegated/playing the relegation games: Of course, it can happen, but I believe guys will beat Denmark without any major problems. It will be all about themselves: If they play the game they certainly are capable of, there is no way for Denmark. The gap in the players' individual quality is simply too giant. They can lose the game only if they lose in their own heads first. I believe they will avoid this danger, beat Denmark, and score some goals to gain confidence. I don't see any need to project catastrophic scenarios now: They lost to Russia in a close game, and they lost to Canada in the back-to-back game, which, taking into account the superb qualities Canada possesses, is unpleasant but not disastrous. It is a pity that they didn't earn any points from the RUS and CAN games, but still, there is no need for the guys to feel ashamed.

Yes, but Denmark have who is supposed to be a very good goalie, all he needs to do is get hot.

Reactions: Wooren

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Sadly yes, how could the Czech Fed give them the wrong coach, should have kept last years.
Well, this coach led the 1999s in their U18 season and he did a good job. I was happy when they announced he will be the coach. Nobody could have predicted it would be this bad.

Joel

Dec 31, 2018
Really hope Czechs will finally change something about that horrendous powerplay.. Why has Jakub Galvas not been even tried there!? Just plain stupidity from Mr. Patrik Elias.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Well, this coach led the 1999s in their U18 season and he did a good job. I was happy when they announced he will be the coach. Nobody could have predicted it would be this bad.

Really, but Pesan did a good job last year finally getting them to the SF and playing for a medal.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Really, but Pesan did a good job last year finally getting them to the SF and playing for a medal.

Yeah, really. Varad'a won gold at Ivan Hlinka with this core, so we were all naturally happy to have him. But it seems that success at the U-18 level does not imply success at the U-20 level, as we also witnessed with another successful U-18 coach by the name of Jakub Petr. Ironically, he had more medals than Varad'a at the U-18 level.....

Winning at the U-20 level is an entirely different kettle of fish, and it seems our coaches haven't really mastered it just yet.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Lines for today's game against Denmark:

Kern - Kaut - Zadina
Kvasnicka - Galvas

Pekar - Necas - Plasek
Gaspar - Mikyska

Pour - Hrabik - Kondelik
Kral - Bukac

Jenik - Lauko - Machala
Salda - Hladonik

Dostal
Skarek

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Lines for today's game against Denmark:

Kern - Kaut - Zadina
Kvasnicka - Galvas

Pekar - Necas - Plasek
Gaspar - Mikyska

Pour - Hrabik - Kondelik
Kral - Bukac

Jenik - Lauko - Machala
Salda - Hladonik

Dostal
Skarek

Some improvement but why Kern with Kaut and Zadina? Isn't that the worst possible choice?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad