WJC: Czech Republic 2019 Roster Talk

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
My final thoughts on round robin

We did everything we were supposed to.. beat the Swiss and Danes, had a very good game agains the Russians and got killed by Canada. I hated the lineups. I'm not sure who I'm disapointed in when it comes to the big 3 - coach or players. Loved Kondelik and Dostal. No one really stood out on the D for me but I think our PK has to be near the top of the tournament? Our PP was terrible. We ended with a zero balance for GF/GA which isn't enough.

I hope we don't get the States. I hope Zadina gets out of whatever funk he is in (I don't think he's played poorly at all but things aren't working) and scores 3 on Wednesday. He's the type of kid that could score one and then go on a tear. I think Necas/Zadina need to be together.

I think the Czech federation should put very experienced coaches into the position of U20 coach.. formula seems to be:
1. hire former NHLer on a U18 team
2. any success.. promote him to U20 coach

U20 is much closer to professional quality than U18. Very different animal. I do think our biggest problem is coaching.

I hope this has all been the most elaborate rope a dope in history and we see the 'real lines' on Wednesday!

Oh, and f*** Max Comtois!

Reactions: kudymen

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm still not convinced by this team. I can't tell if there's more to come or more "nemastny, neslany." The lines looked a bit better today, but the stupid penalties continue. Unless some miraculous rejuvenation occurs, I'm afraid it's goodbye at the quarterfinal.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Missed tonight's game. How was our coaching tonight and was it our best performance?

With Sweden most probably winning group B, who would you prefer to play us in QF, Finland or US? We've had a couple of rough games against NA teams throughout the last years, so Finland might be better. But then again Finland looks pretty dangerous as well this year.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Missed tonight's game. How was our coaching tonight and was it our best performance?

With Sweden most probably winning group B, who would you prefer to play us in QF, Finland or US? We've had a couple of rough games against NA teams throughout the last years, so Finland might be better. But then again Finland looks pretty dangerous as well this year.
Nervous until the 1st goal, that got them going a bit but only til the first period end. In the 2nd period it was boring hockey and in the 3rd Danes pushed us a lot, Dostal came up big though. All in all a pretty horrific perfomace in my opinion, Denmark has a very bad team this year and for a good part it was an even play.
I would prefer Finland, but it probably doesn't matter. We have nothing to do in semifinals the way we are playing.

Reactions: czechmate

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
So you guys get winner of Finland and USA, both are playable for the Czechs in my opinion. I’d prefer to play the US if I were you guys. The top guys just need to come through.

Why is the US better (which is who they got)?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So we get the US... worst case scenario IMO. I'm guessing 5-1. The good news is that I think we have several future NHL players on this roster... 2 of the goalies, about 5 of the forwards and 0 of the D.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Wings fan here with an obvious interest in Zadina. Haven't seen much of the tournament, how has he looked so far? Judging from what I've read, just OK.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
So we get the US... worst case scenario IMO. I'm guessing 5-1. The good news is that I think we have several future NHL players on this roster... 2 of the goalies, about 5 of the forwards and 0 of the D.

US is also a good challenge, Czech's will have to bring their A game, US are beatable.

Patera, Bukac, Galvas and Kral are not future NHL?

vil

Nov 20, 2017
At the keyboard.

Patera - possibly, Dostal is better, I loved Dostal yesterday, did you see him celebrate after saves? He is a stud. Patera is a bit meh.
Bukac - not based on this WC so far
Galvas - try camp, sometimes a good D gets buried in all the WC defensive zone helplessness, remember Kempny?
Kral - not based on this WC so far

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
US is also a good challenge, Czech's will have to bring their A game, US are beatable.

Off the top of my head, the last time we beat the USA at the juniors was in 2012 with Mrazek in goal. I think the final score was 5-2. That was a great game. Maybe they're beatable but I doubt we beat them.

More recently they've thrashed us 9-3 (WJC 2018) 7-0 (2016 WJC), 5-1 (WJC 2015) and 7-0 (2013 WJC) with a 6-2 win in pre-tournament this year. We struggle with the USA at every level even with good teams imo (e.g. IHWC 2004/2005). They are simply not a good fit for us as an opponent when compared to Finland.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Nervous until the 1st goal, that got them going a bit but only til the first period end. In the 2nd period it was boring hockey and in the 3rd Danes pushed us a lot, Dostal came up big though. All in all a pretty horrific perfomace in my opinion, Denmark has a very bad team this year and for a good part it was an even play.
I would prefer Finland, but it probably doesn't matter. We have nothing to do in semifinals the way we are playing.

Come on. It was "even play" when the score was 3:0. Looked very similar to the RUS - DEN game, where it was 3:0 too and the Danes got a couple of PP's, were playing in the offensive zone quite a lot, but it was apparent that the Russians are not playing at the full speed and that they could push much more, if they needed to. The CZE - DEN game was the same case. The Czechs pushed until the 3:0 score and then significantly slowed down, which is something many teams do in such games.

Last edited:

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
This team is like the 2015 squad all over again. Tons of hype, but god awful coaching buried any potential we might have had. Still, as you said, we should see plenty of good players emerge from this year's team.
Come on. It was "even play" when the score was 3:0. Looked very similar to the RUS - DEN game, where it was 3:0 too and the Danes got a couple of PP's, were playing in the offensive zone quite a lot, but it was apparent that the Russians are not playing at the full speed and that they could push much more, if they needed to. The CZE - DEN game was the same case. The Czechs pushed until the 3:0 score and then significantly slowed down, which is something many teams do in such games.
It was even in the first 10 minutes as well, until our first goal. In fact Denmark was arguably the better team at the start and we can thank Dostal didn't let in anything. I don't know whether Czechs slowed down or just Denmark upped their game (I think the latter is more probable, but still only speculation), but comparing them to Russia is laughable. Russia proved they are capable of much more, Czechs didn't.

Wish we got Finland, USA is going to embarass us once again. I wonder if relegation wouldn't have been better for us, the coaching staff would be fired and maybe experiments like Elias with no coaching experience would not happen anymore. This way we will lose in the QF and everyone will act like it was a fine tournament, we beat Switzerland and Denmark after all.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
was a fine tournament, we beat Switzerland and Denmark after all
And Slovakia in pretournament so we've, yet again, FIRMLY let the world know we are number 6. Our hold on that spot is as consistent as the sun rising.lol The Kazakhs don't want a piece of us!

Reactions: Wooren

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
9-3 (WJC 2018) 7-0 (2016 WJC), 5-1 (WJC 2015) and 7-0 (2013 WJC)

I knew it was bad. I watched all those games but I forgot it was that bad.lol

That 'Mrazek' win was amazing years ago. But we were clearly outplayed in that game and got lucky. The team itself didn't produce many NHL players either.

For argument sake though... and I should say this since I think most my posts will be negative... I REALLY want us to win and am a massive fan of Czech hockey... we lost those games by 6,7,4 and 7 goals. So Dostal has been our best goalie (in the actual tournament as we did have excellent goalies) and is the difference maker we need? We've been losing by about 5 goals per game. Is he 5 extra saves better? If we can enter the third close in score I feel we have the guys to score a goal and pull the upset.

What I'm more worried about is the Americans bullying their way into the zone over our below average D and getting about 20 'Grade A' scoring opportunities.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

To be clear I hope they all make the NHL. Making the NHL is brutally hard. I feel like about half our national team ended up as AHL/NHL fringe players (Kovar, Simek, Francouz, Jerabek, Necas, Rutta, Sulak, Hronek, Radil and Hyka). Of that group I think Simek will stick for a few seasons, Francouz maybe becomes an NHL backup next season, Necas will get a couple 100 games at least, Sulak maybe a few seasons, Radil maybe a few and Hronek should get at least a couple 100 games. Looking at some of our higher drafted players... Musil didn't come close, nor did Karabacek (both 2nd rounders), first rounder Zboril is still fringe, Masin has yet to make it (and I was very high on him and am a big fan of his) and I've forgotten at least 2 other Czech prospects on D that are still in the AHL due to hangover issues.

So do I think 6th round pick Patera is set for the NHL? Not really but I hope so. Vladar and Vanecek were much higher picks and are still battling in the AHL. Svoboda was picked around that spot and is in the ECHL.

Do I think big boy Bukac is on his way to the show? Not really. He hasn't shown much but Boston is great at development. Maybe 5 years from now?

Galvas has a chance but he's also a few years away.

Kral cracking the Leaf's lineup anytime soon? I doubt it. He'll hopefully end up in the Marlies and fight his way up but man, tough road ahead.

My guess is those 4 spend 2 to 3 years in North America and end up back in Europe and helping the National Team kind of like Musil or Kundratek.

Basically, I think Czechs produce excellent AHL players.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Does Martin Kaut remind anyone else of a right handed Draisaitl?
Yup, I could see him slotting in that Top 6 for Colorado and doing well in 1 to 2 years. Like Draisaitl, people will mistake his cerebral game and skating style as lazy. The guy does everything right and I'm a huge fan of his.

Reactions: klozge

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Last one for now:

To beat the States:

We need probably 4 goals. At least one from secondary scoring (eg. like we did against Canada) and 3 more from our big lines. The optimist in me says Zadina wants to be in the NHL after this and a big game in front of his GM could help that. He's due and has had terrible luck. Maybe he gets the hattrick.

We need to not allow more than 5. Dostal seems capable of that but if we do allow 5 that'll be on the D and not him. He needs to stop the routine stuff AND make a few 'TSN turning point' saves. Maybe the D play a very focused shutdown game and keep it clean? The Czechs have shown a lot of heart and I think they have more to show.

We need to stay out of the penalty box!!!! I better not see Kaut or Necas punching guys. It's not worth it. It is clearly a strategy to get them to retaliate. They need to be smarter. We must lead the tourney in stupid 'stick penalties' with all our hooks and trips. We gotta cut all that out! Our PK has been surprisingly good so keep that up.

We need to score on Powerplay and keep that puck moving and apply pressure. Varada needs to keep the big guys on for the entire 2 minutes. Not 30 seconds and out.

Necas HAS to play with Zadina. Splitting them up is stupid. Going on the earlier theory that they haven't played together and we are 'rope a doping' then it would be great to see them unleashed together. Put them together and mix up Lauko, Jenik, Kaut and Pekar anyway you want.

Maybe we squeak out a 4-3 upset.

Reactions: Pouliot

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This team is like the 2015 squad all over again. Tons of hype, but god awful coaching buried any potential we might have had. Still, as you said, we should see plenty of good players emerge from this year's team.

It was even in the first 10 minutes as well, until our first goal. In fact Denmark was arguably the better team at the start and we can thank Dostal didn't let in anything. I don't know whether Czechs slowed down or just Denmark upped their game (I think the latter is more probable, but still only speculation), but comparing them to Russia is laughable. Russia proved they are capable of much more, Czechs didn't.

Wish we got Finland, USA is going to embarass us once again. I wonder if relegation wouldn't have been better for us, the coaching staff would be fired and maybe experiments like Elias with no coaching experience would not happen anymore. This way we will lose in the QF and everyone will act like it was a fine tournament, we beat Switzerland and Denmark after all.

Well, probably I was watching different game. In the beginning, the Czech team looked nervous, but still, the gap in the skill of the individual players was more that apparent. Then it was all the Czechs until Gaspar's injury, then the Czechs slowed down, I don't know whether it was a consequence of seeing a teammate badly hurt or not, but anyway, the score was already 3:0.
Comparing this team to Russia is not laughable. The CZE - RUS game was a good one, it was an even game from the beginning to the end. By the way, the RUS - DEN game was 1:0 until the late 2nd period, so it was much more an "even game" than CZE - DEN, although the Russians were clearly the more skilled team.
I just don't like this pessimism of many Czech fans, who see their team only in the worst and most negative shades. I believe it is something typical for the Czech fans, or rather, it is to be found everywhere, but not to this absurd extent.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
To be clear I hope they all make the NHL. Making the NHL is brutally hard. I feel like about half our national team ended up as AHL/NHL fringe players (Kovar, Simek, Francouz, Jerabek, Necas, Rutta, Sulak, Hronek, Radil and Hyka). Of that group I think Simek will stick for a few seasons, Francouz maybe becomes an NHL backup next season, Necas will get a couple 100 games at least, Sulak maybe a few seasons, Radil maybe a few and Hronek should get at least a couple 100 games. Looking at some of our higher drafted players... Musil didn't come close, nor did Karabacek (both 2nd rounders), first rounder Zboril is still fringe, Masin has yet to make it (and I was very high on him and am a big fan of his) and I've forgotten at least 2 other Czech prospects on D that are still in the AHL due to hangover issues.

So do I think 6th round pick Patera is set for the NHL? Not really but I hope so. Vladar and Vanecek were much higher picks and are still battling in the AHL. Svoboda was picked around that spot and is in the ECHL.

Do I think big boy Bukac is on his way to the show? Not really. He hasn't shown much but Boston is great at development. Maybe 5 years from now?

Kral cracking the Leaf's lineup anytime soon? I doubt it. He'll hopefully end up in the Marlies and fight his way up but man, tough road ahead.

My guess is those 4 spend 2 to 3 years in North America and end up back in Europe and helping the National Team kind of like Musil or Kundratek.

I like some of their young guys that have come through a lot. I would be surprised not to see Zadina and Hronek as mainstays in Detroit.

But I think the overarching point is important especially in this tournament. Making the league and being an impact guy is really difficult.

As a USA hockey fan and Wings fan I have a feeling Zadina if they give him one of the other big two for a linemate like they did with Kaut last game will do some damage. I agree though with the other points that the Czechs better play with more discipline and defensive structure though if they want to come out on top. Poehling should be matched up on Necas all night with last change though so it is important that he wins that matchup and he is on a role so tall order for Necas there.

It should be a good game, tough game. But the top 6 teams can beat each other any game without me being stunned. While I like the USA's chances, I think the Czechs have the kind of players to advance and still do damage. But they need the big three to play lights out up front and to get great goaltending to medal at this point. Doable, but I understand your apprehension.

Reactions: Czechboy

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

How do you feel about Sedlak, Kase, Kampf, Faksa, Frk, Zacha, Chytil, Simon, Jerabek, Nosek, Vrana and Jaskin?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
How do you feel about Sedlak, Kase, Kampf, Faksa, Frk, Zacha, Chytil, Simon, Jerabek, Nosek, Vrana and Jaskin?

Selak - fringe NHL/AHL player
Kase - he's awesome and will be in the NHL for awhile barring injury. I think his brother will make it too as my big dark horse.
Kampf - hats off for making the NHL and sticking there! I think fringe but he might prove me wrong.
Faksa - full time NHLer but I don't see him every scoring much. A really good bottom 6 player who will have a job in the NHL for awhile. But not as a Top 6 guy.
Frk - fringe unfortunately. I'm not even sure he'll have a job in the NHL next year? Great attitude, great shot but the skating isn't there.
Zacha - so far hasnt' reached his potential. Also in the AHL this season. Big body centre with a high draft pedigree. He'll stick around for awhile but looks to be more like the next Faksa then a Top 6 guy. Great at penalty killing and shorthanded. I don't see an 80 point season coming anytime soon... or a 50 point one. But Centres take longer?
Chytil - Hall of fame!
Simon - back in Europe? Another NHL/AHL fringe guy.
Jerabek - back in Europe? Another NHL/AHL fringe guy.
Nosek - a beautiful bottom 6 player that does everything right. I think he'll stick around for awhile but he'll never be a goal scorer.
Vrana - full time NHLer... he'll be around for awhile. On a career year and should get 50 points and I could see him doing that consistently. Top 6 player but probably secondary scoring. Could rise though. Love this kid
Jaskin - fring NHL/AHL player. I thought he would've done better after the World's as he looked great their for us! But he just doesn't score enough.
For fun:
I think Necas and Kaut will stick for a long time as well.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Well, probably I was watching different game. In the beginning, the Czech team looked nervous, but still, the gap in the skill of the individual players was more that apparent. Then it was all the Czechs until Gaspar's injury, then the Czechs slowed down, I don't know whether it was a consequence of seeing a teammate badly hurt or not, but anyway, the score was already 3:0.
Comparing this team to Russia is not laughable. The CZE - RUS game was a good one, it was an even game from the beginning to the end. By the way, the RUS - DEN game was 1:0 until the late 2nd period, so it was much more an "even game" than CZE - DEN, although the Russians were clearly the more skilled team.
I just don't like this pessimism of many Czech fans, who see their team only in the worst and most negative shades. I believe it is something typical for the Czech fans, or rather, it is to be found everywhere, but not to this absurd extent.
You are right, the skill gap was apparent. That's why we beat them even with a poor perfomace. Compare Denmark's roster and Czech one. Their best forward would maybe be a 3rd liner on our team. I am sorry I expect better than one even strenght goal when the difference in skill is so huge.
As for Russia, they are known for playing just what they need. They didn't play well against Denmark or us, but still managed to win the group, after beating even Canada. We can only dream of doing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad