WJC: Czech Republic 2019 Roster Talk

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Don’t recall them playing against Canada
We were too busy fixing Necas's skate, taking minors and 10 minute majors to get all 3 together.

I actually don't want all 3 together unless it is do or die time. I do want Necas and Zadina together for the WHOLE game. I also want our first PP unit to stay on for the full 2 minutes. End of a period? Yes, double shift to get all 3 out. End of the game.. of course. But waiting till we lose to do it is assinine.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I forgot to put out my predictions for today!

My heart:

Czechs over States in a miracle on ice
Finland over Canada because the hockey gods should punish Canada for beating Denmark 14-0 AND for allowing Comtois to be captain. Seriously, greatest hockey nation on earth and this is your captain?
Swiss over Sweden in a huge upset as I like the Swiss and how they compete and it's funny that Sweden keeps choking in elimination games (don't get me wrong, I'd love for the Czechs to be undefeated in 11 years of round robin action)
Slovakia over Russia in a huge upset

My Brain
US, Finland, Swiss and Russia

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

My heart:

Finland over Canada because the hockey gods should punish Canada for beating Denmark 14-0 AND for allowing Comtois to be captain. Seriously, greatest hockey nation on earth and this is your captain?
Swiss over Sweden in a huge upset as I like the Swiss and how they compete and it's funny that Sweden keeps choking in elimination games (don't get me wrong, I'd love for the Czechs to be undefeated in 11 years of round robin action)

My Brain
Mine: USA, Canada, Switzerland and Slovakia
Czech Republic looks like the worst team of the top 8 once again lol.

In all seriousness, I really think all the teams entering the QF have a legit shot at SF. All of them except us. I would be pessimistic of our chances even if we played well, because USA is our kryptonite.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

In all seriousness, I really think all the teams entering the QF have a legit shot at SF. All of them except us. I would be pessimistic of our chances even if we played well, because USA is our kryptonite.
I'm 1 for 1 so far!

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
No way in good conscience can I predict the Czech game. I did kinda go with the Swiss though, not predicting other games either, though I do think Russia will almost certainly win but I hope Slovakia.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

My heart:

My Brain

NHL player kinda, of course.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

Czech's ain't that bad, on par with Finn's about, certainly better than Slovakia and Swiss if they get acts together.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well it's over. I can't even blame Varada for the final. He played our big 3 a lot! Dostal was amazing. Our PK was awesome at 3 for 3. Our PP was 1 for 1. That would be my first gripe... we got 2 cheap calls against us (Kaut for delay of game and Kaut for whatever call they came up with) but we only got 1 powerplay.

In any case, we were the poorer team and only the final 10 minutes felt close. This tournament was marked by one missed pass after another. Even the Big 3 could never seem to string together more than 1 pass.

Reactions: smitty10

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Well it's over. I can't even blame Varada for the final. He played our big 3 a lot! Dostal was amazing. Our PK was awesome at 3 for 3. Our PP was 1 for 1. That would be my first gripe... we got 2 cheap calls against us (Kaut for delay of game and Kaut for whatever call they came up with) but we only got 1 powerplay.

In any case, we were the poorer team and only the final 10 minutes felt close. This tournament was marked by one missed pass after another. Even the Big 3 could never seem to string together more than 1 pass.

Game was pretty much all US, score was close thanks to Dostal, Czech's did alright, but maybe did not bring it hard enough, didn't really have quality chances, ones they did have they did not make count, I kinda feel like their best players just weren't feeling good, so did not put more chances away. Did well to kill off penalties. I also felt the coach mixed things up too much so no lines could really ever get going.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Dostal, Kvasnica and Kaut were picked as the best players for the tourney.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
What a thing for Kvasnica to be named one of the best Czech players even though he wasnt on the team!

What a classy act...

That's another Kvasnica, this is David Kvasnica, plays defense for Plzen.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Well, I am glad it's over, most of the time it was painful to watch our team try to play hockey. Varada needs to fired along with his assistants, easily the worst coaching staff of the tournament. I loved how Varada said USA wasn't much better and we almost beat them. Just clueless. You get the most stacked offensive core we have had in a loooong time, and all you manage is 12 goals in 7 games (including pre-tournament)? That's god awful. Canada scored more goals in one game alone.
The by far best player is obvious, but I liked Pekar and Jenik. One played on the 4th line, the other was scratched for the first two games. Go figure.
Easily the biggest dissapointment was Necas, he was horrible. Captain material? Yeah sure, good one. Zadina might not have produced as much as was expected, Kaut wasn't great either, but both left everything on the ice, blocking shots and trying their best. They played for what is on the front side of jersey, not what is on the back. Unlike Necas, who struck me as the kind of player who will make up an injury just to miss the WHC (Zacha anyone?) That's assuming he even makes the NHL with his perimeter hockey.
If we get competent coaching and Dostal shines again, we could surprise next year just like the Swiss did this year. But how many good coaches do we even have? Pesan is the only one. Not to mention it's unlikely Dostal is this good again, he was just stellar. Should be the best goalie of the tournament, although I think he will get robbed of it, because our team didn't achieve anything, not even a single win against strong team (unlike in Mrazek's case in 2012.)

Next big tournament, the U18 WJC. Ready for another good team collapse under bad coach? :thumbu:

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
I expected a blowout against the US team, so I was somehow surprised that the game ended 3:1.

I refuse to believe that the team played up to their potential. Its almost unreal how an overall slightly less skilled Swiss U20 manages to score multiple goals whilst keeping the games tight and occasionally even winning them against the top 5 hockey countries (ex. QF vs. Sweden). We at the same time, I cannot say it differently: suck! The Swiss surely have great coaching. The players stick to the strategy that is tailored to their abilities and since they know it works out for them, they are playing their hearts out.

Our team on the contrary looked completely clueless throughout several games. There seemed to be no strategy and if there was one, it was not tailored to our playing ability. I didn't like the disorientated impression of the team, not even speaking of the lack of will power towards the end.

If the Swiss can be successful with great coaching, there is absolutely no excuse for our coaching staff. Sometimes the coaches are unfortunately the scapegoats, the ones that get the blame when a team is unsuccessful, but that's not the case here.

This one is on the coaching. Too early to hire a Canadian coach?

Positives: I really liked Dostal's performance. Its a long time I've witnessed such a calmness and reliability in our net. His future is bright!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Next big tournament, the U18 WJC. Ready for another good team collapse under bad coach? :thumbu:

You would know more about this than me? Exclude the coach for a second. Is the roster good? Should we be a contender in a Big 5 sort of way?

As far as the coach.. it's Hadamczak, right? My least favourite coach in Czech history and low and behold, there is his grandson or something like that. The Czech federation is such a shitshow!

This tournament was a massive disappointment. The thing I didn't like at all was our D and they really didn't get caved or anything. Dostal was exceptional. I hated how Varada ran things but I seriously think he was doing the 'rope a dope' and thought if he put the big 3 together that we'd score 5 goals. It didn't work and he never got the offence clicking (of which, I felt we had a lot).

I didn't think we'd win but watching us constantly not score and bow out in the Quarters was very disapointing. I look at the Swiss coach and he seems to really have his troops rallied and optimized.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm a little late to the party but here are my thoughts:

I'm not sure I can really blame the guys or the coach for the loss vs the USA.

The USA were just better. Man, those guys can skate! I thought we had caught up with the rest of the world in terms of skating, but compared to some of them we were slow. It wasn't just speed either. Rapid changes in direction, start and stop and acceleration. Were we tired? No idea. But seriously, why can't we skate like that? How hard can it be to drill that technique into our players? Basics are basics. Everyone should be able to do that (or as close to that).

They also moved the puck so well and played a high pressure game. Our boys could barely keep up with them. Dostal was the only guy playing on their level, imo he was amazing. The individual skill level of each US player was also higher in terms of stick-handling (excluding our big 3). We need to work more with our players to improve this. Again, this is drill imo.

The USA executed a great game against us, defended perfectly, gave up one PP, gave our forwards barely any time to make any decisions and closed us down from the very beginning. Our star players were nullified even though they kept on trying.

I was very impressed with the the US. Maybe one day we'll be able to play like them!

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I loved how Varada said USA wasn't much better and we almost beat them. Just clueless

The man is simply in denial. There's no way any sensible coach can make that statement, it's ludicrous.

Easily the biggest dissapointment was Necas, he was horrible. Captain material? Yeah sure, good one.

Yeah, he was bad. Bad penalties, poor leadership and what didn't look like much effort. Disappointing!

Not to mention it's unlikely Dostal is this good again, he was just stellar. Should be the best goalie of the tournament,

Well, I think he might be still as good next year. I'm happy we can rely on him for another year. With a slightly better defense we can work hard for wins like the Swiss, we might manage it. We have to hope Had isn't the coach though.....

Reactions: Wooren

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
As far as the coach.. it's Hadamczak, right? My least favourite coach in Czech history and low and behold, there is his grandson or something like that. The Czech federation is such a ****show!

Just like the Olympics eh?:laugh::laugh:

But he seems to be doing well stat-wise though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad