WJC: Czech Republic 2019 Roster Talk

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Jan Jenik finally added to the roster:

Sit Kern or Machala, put in Jenik instead. Move up Pekar, Lauko and Zadina fulltime. Start Patera as we will need Dostal ready for Denmark.

EDIT: Last game I noticed Machala was getting PP time, while Pekar and Lauko were nowhere to be found. Not to mention the absence of Galvas.

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

Sit Kern or Machala, put in Jenik instead. Move up Pekar, Lauko and Zadina fulltime. Start Patera as we will need Dostal ready for Denmark.

EDIT: Last game I noticed Machala was getting PP time, while Pekar and Lauko were nowhere to be found. Not to mention the absence of Galvas.

Machala needs to sit. Kern has decent speed and plays a solid 4th line game.

I'm guessing the final spot is open for Chytil in case the Rags release him later. Otherwise, I'm sure Salda will be added soon.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice

Machala didn't look bad, with his speed and solid puck control. I suppose Jeník will play instead of Kern, who has been inconsistent thus far: A few good moments, but also many needless giveaways, plus got often beaten way too easily 1 on 1.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Happy about Jenik but I would've preferred Salda first... I looked and Rangers play Monday (Denmark), Wednesday (Quarter final) and Friday (Semi-final). The odds of that last spot being saved for Chytil seems very unlikely to me.

I like the lineup and feel we can squeeze more goals out of it. Just need to rearaange. I've been criticial of Varada but he did put the big guys together for the 3rd, he did move Lauko up with Zadina for shifts, he did have Kvasnica on for the final minute of the game (presumably because his shots keep getting through) and he did have Kondelik on for final minute as well.

The big one for me is Zadina. Zadina is a finisher. His gift is his ability to get open and wire it quickly. He needs to have other talented guys around him. He needs to be on the top line. It's a real waste of an elite sniper at this level. Necas is more a puck carrier and possession guy who likes to pass. If you're going to isolate one, it should be him as he can carry 2 weaker players better.

Necas's shot went through the goalies arm and hit his rib and deflected wide... we were a rib cage away from tying it. We did control 5 vs 5. Our PK was perfect and did very well against Swiss as well.

Even the second PP goal against... Varada did have the Big 3 on the ice. That's excactly what I wanted him to do.. I was thrilled when I saw that and then a goal against. What else could he have done there?

The fact our second PP has scored a goal but not our first is terrifying. I agree with Ferraro... everyone is getting the puck while standing still and with no momentum.

I would start Skarek against Canada... He must be pissed off and feels he has something to prove. Definitely sit Dostal.

It's going to be pretty much impossible to win the group now and get Slovakia so we're getting a really tough quarter regardless of outcome today - Finland, Sweden or US. We need to get the lines mixed up and work on PP1 and be ready for the playoffs.

If, later today, I see a tweet saying 'exact same lines', expect me to break my laptop!

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
It's going to be pretty much impossible to win the group now and get Slovakia so we're getting a really tough quarter regardless of outcome today - Finland, Sweden or US. We need to get the lines mixed up and work on PP1 and be ready for the playoffs.
We were never going to win the group, come on now. Feels like this is being said every year, how we need to win it and get the "weak" opponent from the other group, but more often than not we still finish 4th or 3rd (and even finishing 2nd isn't all that helpful.)
I also think Slovakia would beat us, rather play Sweden or Finland.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Machala didn't look bad, with his speed and solid puck control. I suppose Jeník will play instead of Kern, who has been inconsistent thus far: A few good moments, but also many needless giveaways, plus got often beaten way too easily 1 on 1.
Yeah I also thought that Machala wasn’t all that bad. Many other players showed worse.
I still like Machalas speed so switch kern instead.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Definitely has felt like our talent has been wasted.
Our defence is our weakness clearly but yet we’ve only allowed 3 goals in the 2 games. I know it’s easy to trash them but it could have been worse.
We said right from the beginning that we need a good goalie performance. Well Dostal has been better then that.
We should have 2 regulation wins by now.

As for today, we will lose. But I would still be happy if coach goes all out and plays big 3 together and moves Pekar up. PP2 needs to change as well. They are beyond useless.

Absolutely have to get the offence clicking for Denmark and then the quarters.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Also, what do you guys think of Krals play? I feel like he’s been pretty bad and outplayed by guys like Gaspar and Mikyska.
I wonder if those guys would have been drafted in later rounds if they went to North America.
Even Bukac has been atrocious. Bad giveaways and very slow skater. Surely Salda is better then him.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
As for today, we will lose. But I would still be happy if coach goes all out and plays big 3 together and moves Pekar up. PP2 needs to change as well. They are beyond useless.
The PP2 is at least somewhat able to maintain puck possession. It's the elite 1st unit that is beyond useless.
Also, what do you guys think of Krals play? I feel like he’s been pretty bad and outplayed by guys like Gaspar and Mikyska.
I wonder if those guys would have been drafted in later rounds if they went to North America.
Even Bukac has been atrocious. Bad giveaways and very slow skater. Surely Salda is better then him.
Kral is better defensively and worse offensively than I expected. Bukac has been very bad I agree.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
The PP2 is at least somewhat able to maintain puck possession. It's the elite 1st unit that is beyond useless.

Kral is better defensively and worse offensively than I expected. Bukac has been very bad I agree.
Anyways it should be fun to watch. Honestly worried about anyone but Dostal starting in net because it would take his kind of performance to keep the game within some sort of reach. Skarek won’t do that imo but I would love to be proven wrong. Maybe he will be motivated after not getting any games thus far.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
We were never going to win the group, come on now. Feels like this is being said every year, how we need to win it and get the "weak" opponent from the other group, but more often than not we still finish 4th or 3rd (and even finishing 2nd isn't all that helpful.)
I also think Slovakia would beat us, rather play Sweden or Finland.
I never said thought we'd win the group... I said that hope is now gone and whether we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th is a bit irrelevant given the opponent we get. I do pity whoever finishes first in other group because there is no easier crossover from our pool.

Reactions: Wooren

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
As they should have been since the start. Time to take out Kern or Michala and Gaspar.
Rather take out Bukac first. Gaspar was ok against Russia in my opinion.
To be honest though, I am not sure if Jenik and Salda are actually going to play. I hope they both get in against Canada, but you never know with this team.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Radim Salda has been added to the roster as well.

I honestly feel we have a good roster and can win some games

Now just need to juggle it the right way.

I wonder what Elias thinks of all the decisions?

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Definitely has felt like our talent has been wasted.
Our defence is our weakness clearly but yet we’ve only allowed 3 goals in the 2 games. I know it’s easy to trash them but it could have been worse.

The defense is a big part that explains the lack of goals for. The forwards basically have to do it all by themselves. First pass are terrible, offensive support is non-existent. How many times did the Czech defense do a soft board dump, a no pressure giveaway or a suicide pass to a forward? Way too many times. This means that the forwards can't do any deep pressure without putting the team in danger, cause if they aren't there on defense, it's going to be bad.

Also, the reason they "only" gave three goals is that they played two teams who haven't been scoring a ton either and they've had good goaltending.

Reactions: Jablkon

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Rather take out Bukac first. Gaspar was ok against Russia in my opinion.
To be honest though, I am not sure if Jenik and Salda are actually going to play. I hope they both get in against Canada, but you never know with this team.

Bukac has been terrible with giveaways and dumb plays. However, he's got size.

Gaspar is going to have a terrible time winning battles on the boards against Canada and he got beat regularly on puck races, so he may be the likely replacement.

One or the other, team will be better with Salda as he'll help support the offense which has been really lacking.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
That’s great but it’s too late. Won’t make a difference tonight. Why does this happen every ****en year

You never know. Maybe we pull the upset? In either case, all that matters is winning on Wednesday in the Quarters! Basically... we have 3 goals in this tourney

1. Beat Switzerland
2. Beat Denmark
3. Win our Quarter final Wednesday

Everything else is a bonus.

Why do our coaches have the wrong players on at the wrong times? I think that is just Czech tradition.lol Drives me bananas. I can barely recall the last time where I was happy with the roster selections and deployments. Maybe the last Olympics? But good god did I hate the Olympic selections before that - especially Hadamczak!

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
The defense is a big part that explains the lack of goals for

I think you're right.. if we 'opened up' and scored a few more goals we'd probably also allow a lot more!

Still, I don't feel Varada has found the right balance just yet

Reactions: Wooren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad