WJC: Czech Republic 2019 Roster Talk

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I hate those Varada's statements. Basically his message to the guys is you're playing great, we are on the same level as the opponent, you just lack a bit of luck. I remember Jenik in one intermission interview after very average period at best saying "I think we are playing great". Then talk about some discernment.
I had high hopes for Varada entering the tourney. I thought he is exactly the type of coach who is enthusiastic and have some balls but he just stood on the bench like Prerost in his best times. The games were sloppy and evidently he wasn't able to give the players quality feedback. Compare it to Christian Wohlwend.
BTW. Why don't we have some defense coach like Jaroslav Spacek at this tourney?

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I expected a blowout against the US team, so I was somehow surprised that the game ended 3:1.

I refuse to believe that the team played up to their potential. Its almost unreal how an overall slightly less skilled Swiss U20 manages to score multiple goals whilst keeping the games tight and occasionally even winning them against the top 5 hockey countries (ex. QF vs. Sweden). We at the same time, I cannot say it differently: suck! The Swiss surely have great coaching. The players stick to the strategy that is tailored to their abilities and since they know it works out for them, they are playing their hearts out.

Our team on the contrary looked completely clueless throughout several games. There seemed to be no strategy and if there was one, it was not tailored to our playing ability. I didn't like the disorientated impression of the team, not even speaking of the lack of will power towards the end.

If the Swiss can be successful with great coaching, there is absolutely no excuse for our coaching staff. Sometimes the coaches are unfortunately the scapegoats, the ones that get the blame when a team is unsuccessful, but that's not the case here.

This one is on the coaching. Too early to hire a Canadian coach?

Positives: I really liked Dostal's performance. Its a long time I've witnessed such a calmness and reliability in our net. His future is bright!

Swiss are not slightly less skilled than Czech's, on paper they have far less skill, they just played well as a team and punched above their weight, Czechs were one of the most skilled teams here.

Reactions: Wooren

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
You would know more about this than me? Exclude the coach for a second. Is the roster good? Should we be a contender in a Big 5 sort of way?
The team is somewhere inbetween the 1999s and 2000s in terms of overall quality. Deep forward core, but lacks the Necas or Zadina talent upfront. Teply could be compared to Kaut perhaps, Pytlik is very good as well, Mysak is a bit of wildcard. Goalies are weaker this year, but should be still solid. Defense isn't good, but Has is probably the best Czech D prospect since Hronek/Hajek. Is the team strong enough to beat a top team (excluding USA)? I would say so, however it should be stated that except the QF win against Canada, we have always beaten only the weakest team of our groups in the last years. Even lost to Slovakia twice.
I'm not sure I can really blame the guys or the coach for the loss vs the USA.
We should have made sure we won't have to play USA in the QF in the first place though. It's terrible how we play a NA team pretty much every QF, we have no chance against them. I swear, if we get USA at the U18...
Otherwise I agree though, even 110% effort with the best coach on the bench likely wouldn't be enough to beat USA.
Just like the Olympics eh?:laugh::laugh:

But he seems to be doing well stat-wise though.
Not a fan of Barinka personally, belongs on the national team for sure, but not on the 1st line. (Which he played on at Hlinka)
I'm looking forward to seeing Teply, Pytlik and Mysak.
Me too, I just pray we finally see some goals again. With exception of the 2018 WJC, Czech team is always either the worst or at the very least among the worst scoring teams at big tournaments. Frustrating to watch, to say the least.

Reactions: Swipes

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I expected a blowout against the US team, so I was somehow surprised that the game ended 3:1.

I refuse to believe that the team played up to their potential. Its almost unreal how an overall slightly less skilled Swiss U20 manages to score multiple goals whilst keeping the games tight and occasionally even winning them against the top 5 hockey countries (ex. QF vs. Sweden). We at the same time, I cannot say it differently: suck! The Swiss surely have great coaching. The players stick to the strategy that is tailored to their abilities and since they know it works out for them, they are playing their hearts out.

Our team on the contrary looked completely clueless throughout several games. There seemed to be no strategy and if there was one, it was not tailored to our playing ability. I didn't like the disorientated impression of the team, not even speaking of the lack of will power towards the end.

If the Swiss can be successful with great coaching, there is absolutely no excuse for our coaching staff. Sometimes the coaches are unfortunately the scapegoats, the ones that get the blame when a team is unsuccessful, but that's not the case here.

This one is on the coaching.
Too early to hire a Canadian coach?

Positives: I really liked Dostal's performance. Its a long time I've witnessed such a calmness and reliability in our net. His future is bright!

Looks like the coaching is getting the blame.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Looks like the coaching is getting the blame.

In hindsight, I should have rephrased it better. My point was the following:

It is not uncommon in sports that the coaching team is blamed for a weak team performance even though the coaching itself is not the root of the problem. This is not good.

Comparing the players that were available for the Czech U20 team this year with the results that were achieved, one must come to the conclusion that this tournament was a failure.

Throughout all games I haven't seen a clear strategy from our coaching staff. This is why the blame applies in this case.

Just compare our U20 team to the Swiss U20 team and you'll notice our deficiencies.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
In hindsight, I should have rephrased it better. My point was the following:

It is not uncommon in sports that the coaching team is blamed for a weak team performance even though the coaching itself is not the root of the problem. This is not good.

Comparing the players that were available for the Czech U20 team this year with the results that were achieved, one must come to the conclusion that this tournament was a failure.

Throughout all games I haven't seen a clear strategy from our coaching staff. This is why the blame applies in this case.

Just compare our U20 team to the Swiss U20 team and you'll notice our deficiencies.
Or compare them to last year's team when we had a good coach.

I was like everyone else and excited Varada was appointed but I think a U18 and U20 coach are very different animals.

I do blame Necas and Zadina as well. They went from a combined 20 points give or take to about 5?

They looked miles behind Hughes for instance. I remember Necas also went to the U18s a while ago during extraliga playoffs and also struggled. He is still one of my favourite prospects but there is a trend similar to Zacha emerging.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Or compare them to last year's team when we had a good coach.

I was like everyone else and excited Varada was appointed but I think a U18 and U20 coach are very different animals.

I do blame Necas and Zadina as well. They went from a combined 20 points give or take to about 5?

They looked miles behind Hughes for instance. I remember Necas also went to the U18s a while ago during extraliga playoffs and also struggled. He is still one of my favourite prospects but there is a trend similar to Zacha emerging.
You could see their talent whenever they were on the ice. The way Necas and Zadina skate, shoot, pass and think the game is far ahead of anyone on the team other than Kaut and Lauko. Things didn't go their way and I think you can blame coaching decisions for the lack of production.

These guys should have played together from game 1 and rekindled the chemistry we saw last year. It was idiotic to split up two players who play so well together and expect them to produce. Again, this is a coaching issue. The talent and poise was there, it just wasn't utilized correctly.

Reactions: Rexor and Wooren

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
You could see their talent whenever they were on the ice. The way Necas and Zadina skate, shoot, pass and think the game is far ahead of anyone on the team other than Kaut and Lauko. Things didn't go their way and I think you can blame coaching decisions for the lack of production.

These guys should have played together from game 1 and rekindled the chemistry we saw last year. It was idiotic to split up two players who play so well together and expect them to produce. Again, this is a coaching issue. The talent and poise was there, it just wasn't utilized correctly.
Thinking that you can win medal with one offensive line is imo incorrect. It was obvious in game against US that maybe two lines didn’t handle the pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I can't remember which team Wooren quoted awhile ago but he referred to a team that got blown out in the Quarters that has gone on to produce some real quality players. Maybe 2015?

This group is similar in that I think we have some future NHLers. That is the only bright side. Kaut already got an assists back in the AHL last night. Vanacek and Korenar just got named to AHL all start team so their futures are bright. Francouz did as well but I don't consider him a prospect. Remember my theory about we produce good AHL players?

Speaking of AHL players, when I was given my random thoughts on our current crop. No one asked about one of my absolute favourite prospects. Michal Spacek! I was POSITIVE he'd be a star in the NHL now. He recently played his 100th AHL game and has close to 60 points. I guess we'll see if he makes it or not. I was positive he would so goes to show what I know.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I can't remember which team Wooren quoted awhile ago but he referred to a team that got blown out in the Quarters that has gone on to produce some real quality players. Maybe 2015?

This group is similar in that I think we have some future NHLers. That is the only bright side. Kaut already got an assists back in the AHL last night. Vanacek and Korenar just got named to AHL all start team so their futures are bright. Francouz did as well but I don't consider him a prospect. Remember my theory about we produce good AHL players?

Speaking of AHL players, when I was given my random thoughts on our current crop. No one asked about one of my absolute favourite prospects. Michal Spacek! I was POSITIVE he'd be a star in the NHL now. He recently played his 100th AHL game and has close to 60 points. I guess we'll see if he makes it or not. I was positive he would so goes to show what I know.
The 2015 team didn't get blown out, 0:3 loss to Slovakia in the QF. But the team played very bad in every game, if we weren't gifted a win against Russia we would have ended in the relegation round.
Agree on Spacek, I was very high on him as well. Hopefully he can still become something.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The 2015 team didn't get blown out, 0:3 loss to Slovakia in the QF. But the team played very bad in every game, if we weren't gifted a win against Russia we would have ended in the relegation round.
Agree on Spacek, I was very high on him as well. Hopefully he can still become something.

I think that loss and the one to Finland when we had a lead after 2 periods were the most devastating. Oh yeah, Russia when they took (I think) Krejci's brothers face with a high stick and scored. The other quarter final losses have felt much more obvious.

Here is the 2015 roster... https://www.tsn.ca/2015-world-junior-roster-1.167870

NHL regulars from it are Kampf, Vrana, Pastrnak, O. Kase and Zacha. Hats off to O. Kase and Kampf as I didn't think they'd get to the NHL. Still hope for David Kase and Michal Spacek. The D is about typical for us but I still believe in Masin making the NHL. All 3 goalies are in North America. The 2 V's could be backups as early as next year in the NHL.

So 5 in the NHL maybe 5 more for the optimists. Not bad.

Reactions: smitty10

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
I think that loss and the one to Finland when we had a lead after 2 periods were the most devastating. Oh yeah, Russia when they took (I think) Krejci's brothers face with a high stick and scored. The other quarter final losses have felt much more obvious.

Here is the 2015 roster... https://www.tsn.ca/2015-world-junior-roster-1.167870

NHL regulars from it are Kampf, Vrana, Pastrnak, O. Kase and Zacha. Hats off to O. Kase and Kampf as I didn't think they'd get to the NHL. Still hope for David Kase and Michal Spacek. The D is about typical for us but I still believe in Masin making the NHL. All 3 goalies are in North America. The 2 V's could be backups as early as next year in the NHL.

So 5 in the NHL maybe 5 more for the optimists. Not bad.

Speaking of D. I don't want to jinx our players :laugh:, but I think we might have some D potential soon. Anyone heard of Alscher and Tichacek from Kladno U16? If Im not mistaken, there was an article about the latter, where he got a lot of praise from Jagr & co. At least thats what I recall. Might be too early to tell but really any D prospect would be huge for us at this point.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Speaking of D. I don't want to jinx our players :laugh:, but I think we might have some D potential soon. Anyone heard of Alscher and Tichacek from Kladno U16? If Im not mistaken, there was an article about the latter, where he got a lot of praise from Jagr & co. At least thats what I recall. Might be too early to tell but really any D prospect would be huge for us at this point.

It's so thin on D for us.... for giggles (and feel free to reroute or add anyway you like)

1. Kempny
2. Gudas
3. Simek
4. Rutta
5. Sulak
6. Hronek
7. Sustr
8. Jerabek
9. Hajek
10. Masin
11. Zboril
12. Moravcik
13. Sklenicka
14. Kundratek
15. Nakladal

I completely agree my rankings don't make sense but is this our Top 15? Who am I missing? Obviously, Nakladal should be much higher but he is another AHL/NHL fringe guy.

Renmar

Nov 23, 2018
Krnov
It's so thin on D for us.... for giggles (and feel free to reroute or add anyway you like)

1. Kempny
2. Gudas
3. Simek
4. Rutta
5. Sulak
6. Hronek
7. Sustr
8. Jerabek
9. Hajek
10. Masin
11. Zboril
12. Moravcik
13. Sklenicka
14. Kundratek
15. Nakladal

I completely agree my rankings don't make sense but is this our Top 15? Who am I missing? Obviously, Nakladal should be much higher but he is another AHL/NHL fringe guy.
Seeing Kundratek on the list makes me cry.... :(:(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad