WJC: Czech Republic 2019 Roster Talk

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Whats your opinion on Zadina? @Czechboy
He'll be awesome. At least 200 NHL games. I just wish he wasn't in Detroit as they have a tendency to over ripen their prospects. Still, if he can crack the lineup next year when they have a new GM and another first rounder (along with Veleno already) to add to their pool of talent... I mean, Detroit looks setup for another long run of being good starting next season. I think he could be a big part of that.

Worst case - Nail Yakupov and he'll get traded around a few times before eventually settling in Europe but I think he's better than that.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You are right, the skill gap was apparent. That's why we beat them even with a poor perfomace. Compare Denmark's roster and Czech one. Their best forward would maybe be a 3rd liner on our team. I am sorry I expect better than one even strenght goal when the difference in skill is so huge.
As for Russia, they are known for playing just what they need. They didn't play well against Denmark or us, but still managed to win the group, after beating even Canada. We can only dream of doing that.

Czechs and Russians were in the same pool and played the same teams... Russia came out with 12 points and we came out with 5. They won 4 games and we won 2. They were a plus 9 for goals for and against and we were zero.

I'm not a fan of Russian hockey but they clearly were better than us in the round robin. Of course, if we beat the States and the Slovaks beat the Russians then we can say we were better!

Reactions: Wooren

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I knew it was bad. I watched all those games but I forgot it was that bad.lol

Yeah it's easy to forget that it was once much worse than it is now....

For argument sake though... and I should say this since I think most my posts will be negative... I REALLY want us to win and am a massive fan of Czech hockey...

Haha I think we can tell by how much you post here! :nod:

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Talking about the Czech Russia game, I think we were better overall. More sustained pressure in their zone and quality chances. At least I think.
Losing by 2 SH goals against is super unlucky and unfortunate. We should have won that game. Or at least pushed it to OT.

What would we say of the team then? I think if that’s what they would have accomplished against Russia(at least 1 point), and played Canada after a day break with Dostal, that game would have been a bit different too (still a loss but not as significant).
I do still believe however, that if the big 3 were utilized properly, we’d be in second place at least.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
There is a big chance for us against US this year more then ANY other year imo. As czechboy said, Dostal in net is a big reason we have that chance. Zadina with Necas is a must as well and we have to play disciplined.
Was really nice to see the power play click a couple times and I hope they can carry that over to USA game.
You also have to think Zadina finally gets something going. I feel like the states are quite worried about this game.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
There is a big chance for us against US this year more then ANY other year imo. As czechboy said, Dostal in net is a big reason we have that chance. Zadina with Necas is a must as well and we have to play disciplined.
Was really nice to see the power play click a couple times and I hope they can carry that over to USA game.
You also have to think Zadina finally gets something going. I feel like the states are quite worried about this game.

I think that we all agree that Dostal is our pillar that we can rely on. He has been the only one doing his part. He's the guy who's gonna keep the game close. I'm sure of that. The defense isn't great but imo is playing at it's best (or close to it's best) so I think we need to accept that reality and rely on Dostal. After all, the goalie almost always determined the success of Czech teams and that piece is there.

As for the forwards, they've got to be better. I don't think Varad'a will play Necas-Zadina as he'll want to spring it on the US when he feels like he needs to. According to Elias, only he knows when is the right time. Whether he will find the right time or not, remains to be seen.

I think Necas really needs to step up his game. He's taken too many stupid penalties and lacks control over his emotions. He's the captain and he has to show the way.

Zadina has been unlucky, he's working hard and is committed. I think he'll find the net against the US. He was clutch vs Finland last year. I'd give him the C if Necas didn't have it, it would suit him better imo.

I hope Varad'a reads the game well tomorrow and makes in-game adjustments. We can beat them.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
It's nice that Dostal is there, but what happened to Skarek, going into this he was supposed to be #1, at the very least #2 behind Dostal, yet he's now #3.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Would've been nice if they had Safin obv, then they would be at full strength.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
It's nice that Dostal is there, but what happened to Skarek, going into this he was supposed to be #1, at the very least #2 behind Dostal, yet he's now #3.

He was bad for the last two tournaments and for some reason the coach didn't play him against Canada.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
He was bad for the last two tournaments and for some reason the coach didn't play him against Canada.

But the coach has mishandled the goalies, like so Dostal starts the 1st 2 games, it should have been Dostal starts a game then Skarek starts, but instead the coach starts Dostal for both, then later he starts Patera over Skarek, so now going into the knockout phase there is not a ready 2nd goalie, unless Skarek hasn't been very healthy he should be have played.

Reactions: Czechboy

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
But the coach has mishandled the goalies, like so Dostal starts the 1st 2 games, it should have been Dostal starts a game then Skarek starts, but instead the coach starts Dostal for both, then later he starts Patera over Skarek, so now going into the knockout phase there is not a ready 2nd goalie, unless Skarek hasn't been very healthy he should be have played.

Totally agree with you, they should have alternated starts and Skarek should have started at least one tough game.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Totally agree with you, they should have alternated starts and Skarek should have started at least one tough game.

I noticed that Patera was the backup for the 1st 2 games, then Skarek for the last 2, so I think either the coach did not like Patera when he saw him, or Skarek was not healthy for the 1st 2 games, but brought him in later when he was ok to try and get some action, it can be tougher when you decide to name 3 goalies, maybe the coach was not sure about the other goalies.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Why did Salda not make this team?
He's there. Gaspar isn't coming back so he should even get more ice time. Sadly, the only way certain players can play for Varada is for others to get hurt. I think we need Hrabik to be injured so we can see Necas/Zadina together.lol

The goalie thing is another Varada mistake. Skarek should've got Russia or Canada for a full game if he was the backup. Or Patera should've. These are basic decisions.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Plus Chytil. From what I heard Safin hasn't been great this year, but we need all the help we can get.

The Safin thing hurt us for sure but, now that I see how Varada does his lines, it wouldn't have mattered. The Czech team was always a team built around 3 guys on forward and Varadas attempts at maximizing those guys hasn't worked. Amazingly, in 4 games, he's never tried the Necas/Zadina combo... I've seen Necas/Kaut and Kaut/Zadina. I feel at this point that Vaclav reads HFboards and is f***ing with us.

Reactions: smitty10

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The Safin thing hurt us for sure but, now that I see how Varada does his lines, it wouldn't have mattered. The Czech team was always a team built around 3 guys on forward and Varadas attempts at maximizing those guys hasn't worked. Amazingly, in 4 games, he's never tried the Necas/Zadina combo... I've seen Necas/Kaut and Kaut/Zadina. I feel at this point that Vaclav reads HFboards and is ****ing with us.

I could swear he had the big 3 out there at one point.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
The Safin thing hurt us for sure but, now that I see how Varada does his lines, it wouldn't have mattered. The Czech team was always a team built around 3 guys on forward and Varadas attempts at maximizing those guys hasn't worked. Amazingly, in 4 games, he's never tried the Necas/Zadina combo... I've seen Necas/Kaut and Kaut/Zadina. I feel at this point that Vaclav reads HFboards and is ****ing with us.
He’s never started them together but we’ve seen the big 3 out together a couple times against Russia and Switzerland I believe

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
He’s never started them together but we’ve seen the big 3 out together a couple times against Russia and Switzerland I believe

Yes that's right. Against the Swiss at the end (I think) but definitely for a good period and a half against Russia. The moment they were together they caused so much trouble; I think we had an immediate PP after one of their shifts.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad