Curious case of Brock Boesers next contract...

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Honestly I just want him signed already. I don't like that we haven't gotten this done but at least Benning is actually negotiating this time?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Honestly I just want him signed already. I don't like that we haven't gotten this done but at least Benning is actually negotiating this time?
Only big rfa to get done has been Meier and Aho via Offersheet. Meier took a lower cap hit with the caveat that his number in year 5 will be big. If SJ can’t meet his number long term he goes to ufa at age 27.

This is how it goes. Meier understood the sharks cap situation. Helped them in the short term but he expects to get paid down the line and thus the $10 mill salary for year 4. Aho got a bunch of front loaded SB money which offsets the lower cap hit because so much money comes upfront so the time value of money makes up for it.

The rest of the rfa class has these two deals to go along with what Larkin, Mathews, Nylander and other signed for in the past year.

Reactions: mossey3535

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Not surprised by the term.

A lot of high-end RFAs are electing for short-term deals that take them straight up to free agency or close to it. I expect this will be the new trend moving forward.
Players and their agents are starting to realize that signing a long term 7-8 year contract right after their ELC is a terrible idea, because for high-end RFAs, they almost always severely outplay their contracts.

Look at guys like Nathan MacKinnon or MARK SCHEIFELE. Both are getting absolutely HOSED for signing contracts where they're now being underpaid by millions a year.
MacKinnon is still only making $6.3 million for the next 4 seasons, whereas his level of play makes him a player worth double that today.

Scheifele is even more f***ed. He's making $6.2 million for the next 5 seasons, while being easily a Matthews calibre player with a Matthews calibre contract. I'd say both of them will lose out on around $30 million worth of value for signing contracts that were too low and too long.

Given that the league is adding yet another expansion team (money+ to the cap) and will be signing a new TV deal (money+++ to the cap), it's stupid for any high-end RFAs to screw themselves over with a longterm deal when there's going to be a huge influx of money coming into the league within the next few years.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
Not surprised by the term.

A lot of high-end RFAs are electing for short-term deals that take them straight up to free agency or close to it. I expect this will be the new trend moving forward.
Players and their agents are starting to realize that signing a long term 7-8 year contract right after their ELC is a terrible idea, because for high-end RFAs, they almost always severely outplay their contracts.

Look at guys like Nathan MacKinnon or MARK SCHEIFELE. Both are getting absolutely HOSED for signing contracts where they're now being underpaid by millions a year.
MacKinnon is still only making $6.3 million for the next 4 seasons, whereas his level of play makes him a player worth double that today.

Scheifele is even more ****ed. He's making $6.2 million for the next 5 seasons, while being easily a Matthews calibre player with a Matthews calibre contract. I'd say both of them will lose out on around $30 million worth of value for signing contracts that were too low and too long.

Given that the league is adding yet another expansion team (money+ to the cap) and will be signing a new TV deal (money+++ to the cap), it's stupid for any high-end RFAs to screw themselves over with a longterm deal when there's going to be a huge influx of money coming into the league within the next few years.

This may be all true, but they signed those deals because a bird in hand is better than two in the bush. Those contracts are 49M and 44.1M. I suspect both players sleep at night just fine. Players have two options: have security or make a bet. It’s like investing; one has to decide the level of risk he/she is willing to take. Even if it is a trend to sign shorter deals, I suspect that players will always look at security as an option.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Take that for what it’s worth... Kuzma not exactly a quality Canuck insider by any means.

I would flat out refuse that. He can take a 2-3 year bridge or sign longer term. No freaking way I'd give him a contract that takes him directly to UFA unless the AAV is significantly below market.

Otherwise trade him for a solid haul and use the $7-8M on a couple wingers via FA or trade. If he wants 4 years he's gone to the U.S. right after that deal.

No wonder they're still far apart. Even our dumb management ain't giving him 4 years. If he wants that term it's gonna cost him a ton of total salary over the life of contract.

This is all assuming he's accumulated the 7 years needed to go UFA at 26, which on a quick mobile search it looks like he has.

EDIT: Actually, he only played the 9 games in his first season, so that shouldn't count. Thus he'd still be a RFA at 26. The only concern here then is he'd be expiring the same time as Horvat.

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
The short term deals this summer (and likely next) are partially due to the flat cap and the expected big jump in cap hit when the American TV Deal boosts the Hockey Related Revenue in 2 year. There are players who don't want to be Mackinnon'd.

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I would flat out refuse that. He can take a 2-3 year bridge or sign longer term. No freaking way I'd give him a contract that takes him directly to UFA unless the AAV is significantly below market.

Otherwise trade him for a solid haul and use the $7-8M on a couple wingers via FA or trade. If he wants 4 years he's gone to the U.S. right after that deal.

No wonder they're still far apart. Even our dumb management ain't giving him 4 years. If he wants that term it's gonna cost him a ton of total salary over the life of contract.

This is all assuming he's accumulated the 7 years needed to go UFA at 26, which on a quick mobile search it looks like he has.
Perhaps this is another reason a resigning is taking a bit longer... but yes I agree with you. Bridge or longer deal is the only options that make sense without us getting burned.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

EDIT: Actually, he only played the 9 games in his first season, so that shouldn't count. Thus he'd still be a RFA at 26. The only concern here then is he'd be expiring the same time as Horvat.
4 years doesn’t take him to UFA status

And I don’t mind him signing a 4 years deal, young star players are realizing two things, it has became a trend.

1. They have more bargain power then they knew
2. The cap is only going up so why sign a max long term deal

Reactions: TruGr1t

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

With the cap situation being what it is for us... I think they might be enticed by a lower AAV 4 year deal.

It's not like this group will be here for the fallout if they don't make noise in the playoffs the next 4 years anyways.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
With the cap situation being what it is for us... I think they might be enticed by a lower AAV 4 year deal.

It's not like this group will be here for the fallout if they don't make noise in the playoffs the next 4 years anyways.
Also the new US TV deal is coming in in a few years, young RFAs know that the cap is due to a big boost. Why sign a long term deal and get Mackinnon

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
4 years is fine, but I do worry about the fall out from the Meier contract where they back loaded the deal and the qualifying offer would be quite high.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Nice deal if true

As in the case of fringe guys like Vey/Pouliot/Granlund in the past, I'm not exactly sure what Leivo has done to get over a 50% raise.

This is a guy you should be grinding because he knows this is the best chance he's ever going to get in the NHL and without us he might be in Europe in a year.

Reactions: timw33 and TruGr1t

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As in the case of fringe guys like Vey/Pouliot/Granlund in the past, I'm not exactly sure what Leivo has done to get over a 50% raise.

This is a guy you should be grinding because he knows this is the best chance he's ever going to get in the NHL and without us he might be in Europe in a year.
Leivo has arbitration rights. Turned 26 in May.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Leivo has arbitration rights. Turned 26 in May.

If he wants to go to arbitration after scoring 18 points in 49 games from top-6 minutes, bring it on. If he wins and we walk, good luck ever finding a situation this good again.

Josh Leivo does not want to go to arbitration.

Reactions: timw33

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
4 years doesn’t take him to UFA status

And I don’t mind him signing a 4 years deal, young star players are realizing two things, it has became a trend.

1. They have more bargain power then they knew
2. The cap is only going up so why sign a max long term deal

4 years *doesn't* take him to UFA status?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! :o :o :o :o

Damn!

I hope to god that's true. My heart kind of sank 15 minutes ago or so when I found out that the rumored deal was 4 years.

I don't mind 4 years at all then.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
If he wants to go to arbitration after scoring 18 points in 49 games from top-6 minutes, bring it on. If he wins and we walk, good luck ever finding a situation this good again.

Josh Leivo does not want to go to arbitration.

A team can't walk away from an arbitration ruling under $4.3M.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A team can't walk away from an arbitration ruling under $4.3M.

You are correct. I was thinking that the walk-away number was a percentage of the player's previous salary.

Regardless, this fear of arbitration is a bit nonsensical given how few players each year go to arbitration and complete the process.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
You are correct. I was thinking that the walk-away number was a percentage of the player's previous salary.

Regardless, this fear of arbitration is a bit nonsensical given how few players each year go to arbitration and complete the process.

For sure, it rarely gets to a hearing but plenty of players file for it and it does give them leverage.

Someone has just reported that Leivo signed for $1.5M. An overpayment to you, an underpayment to me. I hope I'm right!

Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad