Curious case of Brock Boesers next contract...

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
If it is true, it's instantly one of the best value contract in the league

It seems like a fake account though
The hockey guy is a YouTube hockey personality that has a lot of followers and respect. If this is wrong then he was misinformed I’m sure of that. Definitely not the type of guy to try to troll.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The hockey guy is a YouTube hockey personality that has a lot of followers and respect. If this is wrong then he was misinformed I’m sure of that. Definitely not the type of guy to try to troll.

Even though Gino gave it a RT, the account started this month and doesn’t have many followers. Could indeed be a fake (unless he just joined Twitter)

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yeah I've seen his videos before, usually dont agree with his opinions so don't really follow him

Reactions: mossey3535

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
Even though Gino gave it a RT, the account started this month and doesn’t have many followers. Could indeed be a fake (unless he just joined Twitter)
I mean of course in theory it COULD be a fake twitter of a youtuber. However I'd find it hard to believe that a twitter account that only advertises his own videos on YouTube is really a fake account.

I would believe it's the real YouTuber, (the guy that has 109k subscribers), but that he may have been misinformed.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Can't do a 5 year deal. I'd probably do 4, somewhere in the range of 5.5 to 6 million annually seems reasonable at that term.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Given Meier's deal, $6.5M for 6 years would be nice.

There is that wrinkle that pretty much guarantees the final RFA year will be 10 mil per if they just qualify him.

Im still thinking Boeser will be closer to 8 than 7 per. What might help us, (for once!) is that SJ has quite a bit higher tax rate than we do.

Old but should still be relevant:
OilersNation.com said:
**Based on a $9,500,000 contract, and it doesn’t consider agent fees, escrow and travel taxes.

TEAMFEDERAL RATESTATE RATECITY RATEESTIMATED TAX RATETAX PAIDNET SALARY
san_jose_sharks.svg
SAN JOSE SHARKS
39.14%13.06%52.20%$4,958,553$4,541,447
vancouver_canucks.svg
VANCOUVER CANUCKS
47.42%$4,504,528$4,995,472
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Comparing NHL Player Contracts

Reactions: Makar27

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
There is that wrinkle that pretty much guarantees the final RFA year will be 10 mil per if they just qualify him.

Im still thinking Boeser will be closer to 8 than 7 per. What might help us, (for once!) is that SJ has quite a bit higher tax rate than we do.

Old but should still be relevant:

That chart uses the 2017 BC provincial tax rates. As of 2018, income above $150k is taxed at a higher rate, bumping the taxes on that contract to $4.7M instead of $4.5M.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
That chart uses the 2017 BC provincial tax rates. As of 2018, income above $150k is taxed at a higher rate, bumping the taxes on that contract to $4.7M instead of $4.5M.

Thanks for the correction!

Do you know if the SJ tax changed as well or are we still in a better spot than them?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Thanks for the correction!

Do you know if the SJ tax changed as well or are we still in a better spot than them?

Still a little lower than California, it would seem, although I don't know the in's and out's of the tax codes so I don't know exactly what avenues might be available for tax shielding in the various jurisdictions.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Given Meier's deal, $6.5M for 6 years would be nice.
$39 million for 6 years. And you are basing that off the Meier contract?

Meier is guaranteed $34 mill for 5 years due to what his QO would have to be at $10 million.

So you want to buy a ufa from Boeser for $5 million? Goo luck getting his agent to agree to that.

Brock would be ufa at age 27. That’s the same age as skinner now and he’s signing for $9 million per.

If the deal is for 6 years it will match Nylander.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
$39 million for 6 years. And you are basing that off the Meier contract?

Meier is guaranteed $34 mill for 5 years due to what his QO would have to be at $10 million.

So you want to buy a ufa from Boeser for $5 million? Goo luck getting his agent to agree to that.

Brock would be ufa at age 27. That’s the same age as skinner now and he’s signing for $9 million per.

If the deal is for 6 years it will match Nylander.

Generally agree. One detail: barring a change in the CBA on the issue, Meier's not guaranteed $10M in the post-expiry season; the team could take him to arbitration to have it reduced to $8.5M.

Something very close to $7M/year seems like the outcome for Boeser if he signs for 6 years.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Generally agree. One detail: barring a change in the CBA on the issue, Meier's not guaranteed $10M in the post-expiry season; the team could take him to arbitration to have it reduced to $8.5M.

Something very close to $7M/year seems like the outcome for Boeser if he signs for 6 years.

Can they take him to arbitration in the first place without making a $10M qualifying offer? My (admittedly limited) understanding is that they have to make the QO to retain his rights, otherwise he becomes a UFA, a la Hutton.

I'm hardly an expert on the CBA... I'm just hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can clarify.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Can they take him to arbitration in the first place without making a $10M qualifying offer? My (admittedly limited) understanding is that they have to make the QO to retain his rights, otherwise he becomes a UFA, a la Hutton.

I'm hardly an expert on the CBA... I'm just hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can clarify.

One time in his career, a player can be taken to club-elected arbitration in lieu of a qualifying offer.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
If they take him to arbitration then he’s likely not going to stick around SJ.

If a new deal isn't in place come arbitration time, the Sharks would probably plan to shop him anyway. No qualms at all about arbitration in that situation, if the Sharks feel confident of victory. Meier and his agent are surely aware of this and the $10M figure for the final year negotiated on that understanding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad