GDT: Cup Champs v. Blues: Sunday, Sept. 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
It's about 75% Pens fans so.........
Not true, the majority of fanbases agree that Tom crossed the line this time. Absolutely unreasonable, vicious hit in a freakin preseason game when you already have a history of very questionable hits. Plain dumb. He will get suspensions and penalties for being Tom Wilson for the rest of his career because that's the way dumb people get treated in this life.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Some pretty obvious head snapping in that video. DoPS gonna throw the book at Wilson.

Yeah dumb hit for sure, as I said earlier he is getting 8-10 games.

I am pretty mad at Wilson for this because it will be all the talk the next few days instead of the celebration they could have been. Heck the Caps ring ceremony is tomorrow for gods sake.

Reactions: Pomee

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Some pretty obvious head snapping in that video. DoPS gonna throw the book at Wilson.
There's no other way to throw the hit when the guy is sticking his face out like that without hitting the knee first, which is its own can of worms. I think there's more hip/body contact than this angle suggest, otherwise Sundqvist would really go pinwheeling across the ice.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
Bring out the wheel.

dops.png

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
DoPS has been on the record though of noting that head snapping is not a one-to-one with head contact and they do recognize it as a natural reaction to any upper body hits.

Regardless, I said it on the main board, I'm okay with Wilson getting suspended simply because this is a stupid hit in a meaningless game and he needs to be smarter. His name is Tom Wilson, he of all people is aware of the stigma surrounding his hits, he needs to make better choices. If this is a regular season hit I'd at least give it a go in defending it because it is borderline, but in the preseason it's inexcusable from a player of his caliber.

Hopefully missing the banner ceremony makes him wisen up. He's a top line forward now, his game needs to evolve, these plays don't help the team any more because they take him off the ice. His reputation alone now get the job done of widening the ice for Kuzy or Ov, these hits should get dialed back.

Reactions: Corby78

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
In other news I thought his hands have looked great in the preseason.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
not even brad marchand has gotten 10 games

I wouldn't be surprised if it was 10 games. The time off makes people forget that it's only been a dozen games since his last suspension. It pretty clearly demonstrates that he doesn't care about the rules, and that he's looking for a hit like that in a pretty low-energy, meaningless preseason game doesn't help either.

I defended him a bit on the ZAR hit despite it being pretty bad and a ridiculously poor decision on his part, because the rules are nebulous (and will remain so until they resolve their CTE suit) and have been shoddily and arbitrarily enforced at times. But Wilson fans are about out of excuses now. It's getting to where you can't defend him at all.

Starting to think he's just plain stupid, which woulda been fine BEFORE we dropped all that cash on him. He'd better start getting his shit together...

Reactions: Pomee

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I have no problem catching guys across the middle with their head down, but in today’s hockey you better hit em right. Wilson missed, not by much, but he missed. Caught him slightly in front so it looks like he brushes off the right shoulder and catches the chin.

As said in other posts this wasn’t the game to take that risk. Brotuzzo was an idiot and got suspended we didn’t need to send a message. The worst part is he will not get the benefit of the doubt after he does come back. We are going to get extra penalties all year due to losing any 50/50 call involving him.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
TW's getting 10 games, and will now have to reign in his play even more because the next one's getting 20 games.

I have no freaking clue why you go for that hit int eh preseason - WTF Tom

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
He’s gonna get the book, and you know why? Because it’s a pre-season game and the DOPS is going to “set a standard early” on him and make an example regardless.

I bet he gets 8-10 games

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It can and should be 10+ games. He has been suspended 3 times in the past year and this will certainly be #4. How many more warnings does he get before getting the book thrown at him? Obviously these smaller suspensions aren’t deterring him.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
It can and should be 10+ games. He has been suspended 3 times in the past year and this will certainly be #4. How many more warnings does he get before getting the book thrown at him? Obviously these smaller suspensions aren’t deterring him.

How many times has marchand been suspended? Hes never gone higher then 5 games so why should wilson?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I don't know everything about hockey (although I think I do) but can someone explain to me how Dowd gets a spot over say Megna or even Phino?

Is it waiver stuff, is it as simple as right/left-handed centers? Salaries are basically the same so honestly I would have given Phino the job based on the games I saw (all of them), and the two practices I went to.
Dowd is a right handed center man and is better on faveoffs. I like Riley Barber as a possible 4c.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
How many times has marchand been suspended? Hes never gone higher then 5 games so why should wilson?

Two wrongs don’t make a right. And while Marchand has been suspended 6 times if my count is correct, they are spread over a 7 year period. Wilson’s 4 suspensions in 1 year is probably going to play a big role in how long this 4th suspension will be.

Reactions: OviTaughtMe

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
He needs to be suspended for 10 games. That might be the only way to get through a guy that clearly is stupid. I mean at this point there is no other way to put unless we want to entertain the thought that he’s just a sociopath that is actively trying to kill someone on the ice. I’d like to hope that isn’t the case so I’ll assume he’s just a f***ing idiot. In his last what 20 games, he’s had how many hearings? He must just be an idiot and in that case, it is now the league’s job to curtail it before he kills someone.

I tweeted that he will have a 30+ gamer one day and I think he’s well on his way. It’s a preseason game. Even if there is no call, what the f*** good does that hit do? Nothing. It served no purpose. And also it’s beyond a league issue now. It’s a Tom Wilson problem. It is happening every other game. He is supposed to be a big part of this team. He had to grow up ASAP. We aren’t a team of goons. We are a championship organization. He needs to get with the shit.

Also, it would be great for our captain or another leader to step up and let the idiot have it to his face. He clearly isn’t being disciplined in house. DSP defended the hit today after the game like a moron too.

We are better than this. We don’t need to do this. Someone needs to step up and ensure it does not happen again

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Wilson’s positioning was fine, Sundqvist just thought he was still playing PeeWee and wouldn’t get hit skating through the middle with his head pointed down.
Except Wilson targeted his head. Hard to defend him in this hit.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
I know we just won the Cup but now it’s time to defend the Cup. Everyone has to be on board. He is actively hurting the team. You cannot defend it. He’s the only guy causing this type of buffoonery every other game.

Put the good feelings aside for a second and address it so we actually have a chance to repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad