GDT: Cup Champs v. Blues: Sunday, Sept. 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Maybe DSP is preparing a new skating technique -- accelerate, then tuck in and simply roll down ice.

He really does look funny out there, but no worries, for that salary Caps just need him to.... round into shape by playoffs.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
I find it so hard to judge these hits. What makes that one dirty? Head contact (it looks like mostly shoulder, but it's hard to tell from that angle/distance)? Charging?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I find it so hard to judge these hits. What makes that one dirty? Head contact (it looks like mostly shoulder, but it's hard to tell from that angle/distance)? Charging?
Blindside hit with primary contact to the head. It's basically Matt Cooke's hit on Savard that ended Savard's career and really brought the headshot issue into the limelight.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Basically, if the head seems to have received enough of the impact from the hit -- even if the player lowered the head, or the initial contact was through the shoulder, it seems suspendable nowadays. And bonus points if the player getting hit wasn't looking -- even if he *should've* been looking.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Are blindside hits illegal? (Not a rhetorical question.)

Yes and no. The rules used to say blindside hit to the head, however that was changed a few years ago to simply say hits where the head is the primary point of contact.

So the term blindside isn't used any more. However the rules are now stricter in the sense that any "blindside hit penalty" from the previous rules would still be an illegal hit under the new rules. A blindside hit itself isn't a defacto penalty today, nor was it in the past.

* Note: I'm simply talking rule 48 Illegal Check to the Head

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I need someone to explain to me if Sundqvist, coming across the middle like that, has any responsibility here? Cause it looks shoulder to shoulder as Sundqvist is looking down at his shot follow through.

Whatever, what Corby78 said, 8-10 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad