GDT: Cup Champs v. Blues: Sunday, Sept. 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I know we just won the Cup but now it’s time to defend the Cup. Everyone has to be on board. He is actively hurting the team. You cannot defend it. He’s the only guy causing this type of buffoonery every other game.

Put the good feelings aside for a second and address it so we actually have a chance to repeat

I think the only thing that will get Wilson to stop is a team leader publicly calling him out with the standard "there is no place for that type of hit in the game" line. Then you follow it up with "we need him in the lineup and he has to stop doing this type of stuff".

Other than that only age will stop him from being a moron. I defend Wilson a lot but I am pretty pissed he did this today. All the good vibes for this week are gone.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think the only thing that will get Wilson to stop is a team leader publicly calling him out with the standard "there is no place for that type of hit in the game" line. Then you follow it up with "we need him in the lineup and he has to stop doing this type of stuff".

Other than that only age will stop him from being a moron. I defend Wilson a lot but I am pretty pissed he did this today. All the good vibes for this week are gone.

How do we know he didn't do it on behalf of the rest of the team for Kempny?

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
How do we know he didn't do it on behalf of the rest of the team for Kempny?

Well he’s even stupider than I thought.

Wow, we’re even in the “incapacitated teammate” statistic. That’ll add 3% to our Cup Chance % on MoneyPuck!
Yes! Great job wily

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
We are the Cup Champions. For being the best hockey team.

We don’t need bs tough guy “retribution”. We just bust teams sorry asses on the scoreboard. That’s the only victory that matters.

Now there is a stain on this entire week because of that selfish bullshit.

And I like Tom Wilson off the ice. Seems like a good dude. I actually met him in a club during that infamous Saturday all nighter they pulled. They were at the section next to us and he was really cool to us. Took pics, gave us bottles, etc.

But the dude has to use his damn brain on the ice or he won’t be on the ice anymore

Or he’ll just end up in jail

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Wilson is quickly turning into my least favourite Capital, it’s a shame because he can be a damn good hockey player when hes actually playing hockey.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I'm thinking it will be a minimum of 5 games. Do you care to place a friendly wager?

No wager.

I think its all overreaction. Wilson wanted to hit right way but the poor guy didn't realize he's in the NHL game. So he suffered a bit.

Also from the currently available angle I can't see the point of contact. Looks like it could be a shoulder.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As a Pens fan this is the same type of BS we went through with Cooke. He ultimately just made everyone involved embarrassed.

Wilson and Cooke are pretty similar in terms of their versatility on a Cup team and the main issue being part of their game is these kinds of plays and it makes them
more effective.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You fight someone, you don't do that. Especially when you know that every time you sneeze near someone you are getting scrutinized.

That's not my point. People are talking about how stupid he is, and that he needs to be talked down by his teammates. I'm saying how do you know he wasn't just playing out his role, which has been to make other teams pay physically especially when they take liberties with our players, even if it costs him suspensions and reputation? Isn't that what he's been doing all along? So why would we assume that he's suddenly gone rogue and everyone hates it?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
That's not my point. People are talking about how stupid he is, and that he needs to be talked down by his teammates. I'm saying how do you know he wasn't just playing out his role, which has been to make other teams pay physically especially when they take liberties with our players, even if it costs him suspensions and reputation? Isn't that what he's been doing all along? So why would we assume that he's suddenly gone rogue and everyone hates it?

There is no way his teammates want him doing that. I would take it a step further and bet you they are as sick of it as we are at this point.

What should have been a great week around the Caps is now ruined. Hearing tomorrow or Tuesday, how many games he gets now dominates the NHL news cycle. It is half of the NBC opening game talk, etc., etc. It's so tiring at this point for everyone involved, including us.

Reactions: maacoshark

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There is no way his teammates want him doing that. I would take it a step further and bet you they are as sick of it as we are at this point.

You can make up whatever you want to fit that narrative. Why not just take the chicken little act further and say they want him off the team? Live it up.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County

I doubt he got a fat new contract to intentionally be just there to get suspended and do the dirty work.

If so, I’m worried about the mental capacity of the front office. Since I think we are a professional, championship level organization, I’ll go with Wilson just being an idiot for about the 67th or so time in his career.

I’m just over it at this point and I hope the staff and office are as well.

Reactions: FMichael

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I doubt he got a fat new contract to intentionally be just there to get suspended and do the dirty work.

If so, I’m worried about the mental capacity of the front office. Since I think we are a professional, championship level organization, I’ll go with Wilson just being an idiot for about the 67th or so time in his career.

I’m just over it at this point and I hope the staff and office are as well.

You think all his other big hits were done without the staff/team being OK with it?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

What should have been a great week around the Caps is now ruined. Hearing tomorrow or Tuesday, how many games he gets now dominates the NHL news cycle. It is half of the NBC opening game talk, etc., etc. It's so tiring at this point for everyone involved, including us.
Speak for yourself. I’m bummed that Willy probably won’t be playing on Wednesday, but as to being sick and tired or having the week ruined. Nah.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Well sure seems like nothing was done since it keeps happening right? Dude can barely go 4 games without a suspension.

Do you honestly see no issue?
I didn't love the hit but I also think the player cutting across the middle with their head down has some responsibility here. Dumb play by both of them. Yes, I'm fine with Wilson being suspended for this.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

It will take a lot more than a Wilson suspension to ruin our banner going up and the team getting rings

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
No wager.

I think its all overreaction. Wilson wanted to hit right way but the poor guy didn't realize he's in the NHL game. So he suffered a bit.

Also from the currently available angle I can't see the point of contact. Looks like it could be a shoulder.
He got him in the head. I would have bet a beer on the suspension but we would never be able to collect.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Front on, low, not late.

Not sure what else he could do here besides choose not to hit.

The only reason Wilson will get suspended is because the other guy is bad at hockey and thought he could watch his pass gliding through the slot. Guarantee he doesn’t do it again but that doesn’t help Tom unfortunately.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well sure seems like nothing was done since it keeps happening right? Dude can barely go 4 games without a suspension.

Do you honestly see no issue?

With what? Are we talking about just one thing?

This is a bad hit. It's not from behind and may not even be targeting, but it's clearly a nasty headshot and probably should result in suspension. TW had time and space to not hit the face. This is actually more clear-cut than the 3 that got him suspended before. So end of story there. After that it's a matter of how much you dislike the guy when it comes to the number of games people rattle off.

As for the team dynamic, they just won a Cup with that formula. So no, I don't see an issue if the players don't, and there is no indication that they do.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
A whole lot of [mod] excuses being made for Wilson’s hit. It was a headshot.

Edit: not referring to g00n’s post

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dr John Carlson

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Blah, blah. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what any of us think about the hit. Only one opinion matters, DOPS. Judging by the fact they offered him an in person hearing, you have to think this is going to be greater than 5 games. Sigh.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Good video if you want to slow the hit down, etc.

Even though Lundqvist skated thru the middle of the ice with his head down - it was an opportunistic head shot by Wilson.

Slow it down to 0.125 and watch his head spin to his left before his body follows thru...Clearly contact was made to his head by Wilson...Wouldn't surprise me if Wilson gets 10 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad