GDT: Cup Champs v. Blues: Sunday, Sept. 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Blindside hit with primary contact to the head. It's basically Matt Cooke's hit on Savard that ended Savard's career and really brought the headshot issue into the limelight.

IIRC, Savard's hit was a pure headshot. Pretty much all of Wilson's and classic Ovi's questionable hits seem to be "I'm lowering my shoulder into the guy, and whatever's there is getting crushed" -- the contact usually starts with upper body and sometimes/fairly often continues/slides up into the head.

But the reality is that right now NHL doesn't really care where the (intended) initial point of contact was, if the head ends up getting much of the impact. So, right or wrong, players have to adjust to it or be prepared to sit out games.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Izzy just posted this and I finally watched it all the way through.

If this is really what they look at then Wilson should not be suspended.

Around 2:20 is where I see that conclusion.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Also should be a way to keep him beyond this season. Wilson is Wilson and Oshie is old :P Backup Connolly for top-6 W and PP slot position is valuable.

I like Connolly too, very useful guy, but I think for that the Caps would have to shed some big salary.... unless the cap goes up by 4-5M, or something...

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
What Caps done in the first seconds of the 3rd is very important I think.
That should instill even more confidence in them.
Leaders are there and they are not f***ing around.
They should try to win every game, know they can and ease Reirden into the job.
Then all bets are off.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
There's a definite head snap in Wilson's hit today. He will be suspended, and given his prior record it will likely be several games.

Oh he'll get 8 games or so. I'm just tired of it all. The type of game Wilson plays is just not they type of game the NHL is.

Everyone marvels at McDavid cutting up the ice and skating "through" everyone, and I do as well, but it is pretty easy to do that when you have no fear of anyone touching you.

I've accepted the faster version of the women's game they are now playing, I am only glad I got to watch Ovechkin legally destroy people for as long as I did.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Oh he'll get 8 games or so. I'm just tired of it all. The type of game Wilson plays is just not they type of game the NHL is.

Everyone marvels at McDavid cutting up the ice and skating "through" everyone, and I do as well, but it is pretty easy to do that when you have no fear of anyone touching you.

I've accepted the faster version of the women's game they are now playing, I am only glad I got to watch Ovechkin legally destroy people for as long as I did.

Making the types of hits that scramble brains and ruin someone's quality of life for the next several decades illegal is not the same as making it non-contact. No hit is worth making a player forget his kids' names.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Making the types of hits that scramble brains and ruin someone's quality of life for the next several decades illegal is not the same as making it non-contact. No hit is worth making a player forget his kids' names.
Wilson’s positioning was fine, Sundqvist just thought he was still playing PeeWee and wouldn’t get hit skating through the middle with his head pointed down.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

That is a risk for Wilson and every other player who plays contact hockey. It can happen on a clean hit just as easily. Just make hitting illegal and get it over with already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad