CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you ...

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Many people on the inside believe this debacle is still on going for solely 2 reasons.

1. It keeps Directv out of Comcast's potential customer base in the Philly area.

2. Comcast uses this ancient loophole in spite of Directv's old exclusivity and outbidding Comcast for NFL Sunday Ticket way back.

That said, does anyone else think CSN-Philly won't be on Directv until well after 2014 when their exclusivity contract with the NFL ends and becomes most likely available on all other carriers?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Many people on the inside believe this debacle is still on going for solely 2 reasons.

1. It keeps Directv out of Comcast's potential customer base in the Philly area.

2. Comcast uses this ancient loophole in spite of Directv's old exclusivity and outbidding Comcast for NFL Sunday Ticket way back.

That said, does anyone else think CSN-Philly won't be on Directv until well after 2014 when their exclusivity contract with the NFL ends and becomes most likely available on all other carriers?

I think it will be on there eventually, but by that point I think Comacst will have caught up to them in programming in other areas. I switched from Comcast to DirecTV (hated Comcast). Then I switched back to Comcast when they got the X1 platform. I still hate the company, but the TV is much better now than it was before. I like the X1 better DirecTV's platform, though I have never used the Genie...don't know if that is any better or not. Plus Comcast's internet is way better than the DSL I was stuck with.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
My plan is to keep Comcast as internet. I actually have too, no other option. And go with DirecTV for the programming. How much does the X1 platform even cost. I know that my current DVR's are pure junk.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I just tried one more time with Comcast. They offered to lower my price, but I also get less channels, less equipment and slower internet.

Thanks Comcast.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Illegal Cartel on TV, Internet Sports

Wonder if Edward Diver can score some goals?

Anyway...doubt this gets far with the army of corporate lawyers and big money they are up against but glad somebody is trying...

When Philadelphia lawyer Ned Diver needs a break, he wanders down the hall to a workout room with stationary bikes, free weights, and a wall-mounted mat that he peppers with hockey pucks.

And while Diver takes slap shots at the blue makeshift target, sweat beading on his brow, the 44-year-old lawyer can look out the window of the 41st floor in the Bell Atlantic tower and see the offices of one of his chief legal adversaries: Comcast Corp.

A partner with the boutique firm Langer Grogan & Diver P.C., Diver is the lead attorney in a consumer proposed-class-action lawsuit against Major League Baseball, the NHL, and regional sports networks, including those owned by Comcast and DirecTV.

The suit claims the leagues, teams, and pay-TV companies have engaged in an illegal cartel to geographically divide the country into territories for broadcasting the games on TV and streaming them over the Internet.

The practice has carved the sports market into regional monopolies for the benefit of the leagues, teams, and regional sports networks, the suit says.

"It's a classic division of the market," said Diver, a Boston native and sports fan who tracks some of his interest in the topic to the fact that Red Sox games were blacked out of his DirecTV service when he first came to Philadelphia.

"It would be like Genuardi's agreeing to take the Philadelphia grocery market and Acme taking the suburbs and the two supermarket chains not having to compete on price," Diver said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busine..._TV__Internet_sports.html#YkDhlXOJjHVMXvkS.99

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Since I'm now a subscriber to DTV, this would be awesome, except I don't think I'll live long enough to experience it.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Just last night there were 2 available feeds for the NJ@PHI game on Directv CI. I'm in NY so of course I was blacked out of the 'other' feed which had to have been CSN Philly in favor of the Devils on MSG since that's my market.

I had a friend in California check their Directv CI and sure enough they were receiving the CSN Philly feed. Ironic that this is all taking place while we're witnessing the worst Flyer's team in recent memory.

Looks like we may be on our way to a settlement? I can't find any official word from CSN or Directv on this yet.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Just last night there were 2 available feeds for the NJ@PHI game on Directv CI. I'm in NY so of course I was blacked out of the 'other' feed which had to have been CSN Philly in favor of the Devils on MSG since that's my market.

I had a friend in California check their Directv CI and sure enough they were receiving the CSN Philly feed. Ironic that this is all taking place while we're witnessing the worst Flyer's team in recent memory.

Looks like we may be on our way to a settlement? I can't find any official word from CSN or Directv on this yet.

I've seen nothing, I'm in SJ area and I have no feeds what-so-ever. When they just played on NBCSN, blacked out.

Mylec 22

Jun 2, 2010

I noticed the two feeds too. First time I ever saw it for Flyers games. Hope to see it again. After living in Florida for a while, I've been forced to listen to all the other teams feed.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I used to have Center Ice. Didn't like the fact that most games were not HD, and I frequently couldn't get the Flyers broadcast. This year I went with NHL Game Center, and got Apple TV. So far all games are in HD, I get my choice of broadcast, and I can watch on my TV or, if I'm away from home, on my laptop. A much better option than Center Ice imo.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I used to have Center Ice. Didn't like the fact that most games were not HD, and I frequently couldn't get the Flyers broadcast. This year I went with NHL Game Center, and got Apple TV. So far all games are in HD, I get my choice of broadcast, and I can watch on my TV or, if I'm away from home, on my laptop. A much better option than Center Ice imo.

Center Ice on any other provider besides Directv is utter junk. If you're going the stream route, Hockeystreams.com is a far better choice. No black outs, access to every other league, (Q, OHL, WHL, AHL). 60FPS versus 30FPS on Gamecenter.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'll have more free time after the turn of the year. I might do hockeystreams then

Mylec 22

Jun 2, 2010

I got Game Center for a season a couple of seasons ago just to see what it was all about. I got it through the app on PS3. On the TV, the picture was pretty laggy. Just enough to make it look as if the game was on film and not video. Hard to explain, but it wasn't smooth at all. Worked pretty good on the ipad though.

I've had Center Ice for 10 years and they were a little slower getting the games in HD. But for the past few seasons, the majority of the Flyers games have been in HD.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
What I found out after I cancelled my comcast tv was that they also hold a monopoly on broadband internet in this area, most likely due to their bundling packages.

I went from paying $140 a month for 1 TV (no premium channels, just regular hd) + Internet. To paying $75 for just internet, at roughly 6-8 mb download speeds. I'm pretty sure LTE is faster than that.

No one else in the area offers anything more than like 1.5 mb stated speeds, which is slower than my phone. I seriously hate cable providers, and I honestly hate posting in this thread because I can't comprehend people siding with the corporations' anti-competitive actions over the customers' trying to get the service they should be afforded.

At this point, should internet and television service begin to be transitioned to a utility? I'm sure at one point indoor plumbing and electricity were considered luxuries.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
What I found out after I cancelled my comcast tv was that they also hold a monopoly on broadband internet in this area, most likely due to their bundling packages.

I went from paying $140 a month for 1 TV (no premium channels, just regular hd) + Internet. To paying $75 for just internet, at roughly 6-8 mb download speeds. I'm pretty sure LTE is faster than that.

No one else in the area offers anything more than like 1.5 mb stated speeds, which is slower than my phone. I seriously hate cable providers, and I honestly hate posting in this thread because I can't comprehend people siding with the corporations' anti-competitive actions over the customers' trying to get the service they should be afforded.

At this point, should internet and television service begin to be transitioned to a utility? I'm sure at one point indoor plumbing and electricity were considered luxuries.

I went to the Economy package with Comcast (40/mo), I tested my wifi like 2 weeks ago, I got 12 mb/s. Don't believe that "speed" BS they try to feed you. Dump it down to the slowest/cheapest. You probably won't be disappointed.

BTW. I checked my channel listing last night I get the following:

CSN Bay Area
CSN California
CSN Chicago
CSN Mid-Atlantic
CSN New England

that is all...

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Do you still have to rotate your dish when the trees start growing leaves in the Spring? And do you still get bad/no reception if there's a 5mph wind? Slight rain?

This is what I thought before getting Directv...I've had it for 2 months now, I haven't lost the signal once.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Cable companies should be rate capped and have to go through rate cases like the electric utilities do. They have a natural monopoly with no mechanism for consumers interests to be considered

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad