CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you ...

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
I got Game Center for a season a couple of seasons ago just to see what it was all about. I got it through the app on PS3. On the TV, the picture was pretty laggy. Just enough to make it look as if the game was on film and not video. Hard to explain, but it wasn't smooth at all. Worked pretty good on the ipad though.

I looked into Game Center last year since we had cut the cord, but it turns out that the Flyers games would have been blacked out nearly half the time (games on either NBC Sports Network, NBC, or NHL Network). Perhaps I read the wording wrong, but Game Center doesn't show nationally televised games, correct? If that's the case, what's the ****ing point? I'd get Game Center BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE CABLE, MORONS.

At any rate, I gave in and got cable this year. A year without watching any sports (no football, hockey, or baseball) was painful. Then Verizon has NFL/NHL/MLB networks on one of the top tiers...ridiculous. My other option was Comcast, and they're more expensive for worse service. Whoever stated that cable/internet providers should be regulated like a utility is correct. It's absurd how badly we're screwed here in the U.S. Slower, capped connections for far more money than any other first world country. Yay "unregulated" markets! :shakehead

Of course, with 2 kids and another on the way, it's not like I have a ton of time for watching sports anyway. It's still nice to have the option, and the girls (5 and 3) enjoy watching with dad, at least for a little bit. Now that the Flyers have started scoring goals, they'll be over the moon. They love the "hockey hugs" as my older daughter puts it. :D

ihatebraydenschenn

This is what I thought before getting Directv...I've had it for 2 months now, I haven't lost the signal once.

That's awesome.

I wish cable companies or satellite providers would offer their services a la carte. I don't want half of the channels I get and I would like a few that I don't get (non premium channels, like BBC America, NatGeo, FFX, Palladia).

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That's awesome.

I wish cable companies or satellite providers would offer their services a la carte. I don't want half of the channels I get and I would like a few that I don't get (non premium channels, like BBC America, NatGeo, FFX, Palladia).

I agree......

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
John Mccain was pushing for something like that earlier this year I believe. And thanks for that Hiesenberg, I'll have to try out the economy package and see how it works.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Do you still have to rotate your dish when the trees start growing leaves in the Spring? And do you still get bad/no reception if there's a 5mph wind? Slight rain?

Biggest misconception in Satellite television. What you describe is a faulty installation and a dish that isn't targeted properly. That or a low voltage issue in the wiring.

Installed correctly = you'll lose sat signal MAYBE 2-3 times a year during HEAVY rain.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Biggest misconception in Satellite television. What you describe is a faulty installation and a dish that isn't targeted properly. That or a low voltage issue in the wiring.

Installed correctly = you'll lose sat signal MAYBE 2-3 times a year during HEAVY rain.

I researched this a lot as well. When the install came we went over a lot of things on making sure the signal was good. After it was installed and he was programming the box, apparently my signal numbers were ridiculous. Probably why I haven't had an issue yet and probably won't for a while. It is aimed over a huge tree in my neighbors yard, but that tree is done growing, so its not like I have to worry about it getting any taller.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I researched this a lot as well. When the install came we went over a lot of things on making sure the signal was good. After it was installed and he was programming the box, apparently my signal numbers were ridiculous. Probably why I haven't had an issue yet and probably won't for a while. It is aimed over a huge tree in my neighbors yard, but that tree is done growing, so its not like I have to worry about it getting any taller.

You'll be fine. Check strength every 6 months or so, sometimes you need a quick re-target of your dish because of storms, wind, general wear and tear. Basically 2 bolts need to be tightened. You could probably do it yourself.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
You'll be fine. Check strength every 6 months or so, sometimes you need a quick re-target of your dish because of storms, wind, general wear and tear. Basically 2 bolts need to be tightened. You could probably do it yourself.

If they do it for free, then they can go on my roof. I don't do roofs.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
I read this article last night...

http://allthingsd.com/20131112/good...ubscriber-numbers-dropped-again/?refcat=media

Comcast & Time Warner losing subscribers quickly.

This should come as no surprise to anyone. The industry has a horrific customer service track record, with constant price hikes, for a product that can increasingly be found elsewhere for less money. Even monopolistic/cartel like behaviors can only stem this tide for so long. The only thing really holding people back is the lack of sports programming available for streaming, otherwise even more people would go.

Blackout restrictions and limited online choices for some sports come in to play there. I know folks who would happily cut the cord, if they could still watch the Bruins, Red Sox, and Patriots somehow up here online. But those games will all be blacked out on Game Center/MLBTV (or whatever that is called) in NH, and I don't even know if the NFL has something like that available. There are VPN services available for that, but if someone's not really a technical sort of person they'll be in over their head quickly.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I don't understand industries that penalize long term customers. The only reason they stay in existence is because they supply a true need, which is why I'm for moving them toward a utility type of service.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't understand industries that penalize long term customers. The only reason they stay in existence is because they supply a true need, which is why I'm for moving them toward a utility type of service.

Yeah it is annoying when new customers get preference over loyal or should I say captive customers...

As far as these cartels.....nobody is saying you have to regulate them to death but basically this free for all they have going is anti-competitive and anti-consumer. Companies need to understand that establishing rules of the road oftentimes can save them from themselves. Ask Enron..although their whole intent was to loot and run (short-termism) Not only that..if you dominate or collude with your so called competition to carve out territorial monpolies you have little or no incentive to innovate or invest in innovation because you have no competition. Monopolies/oligopolies are antithetical to capitalism...Teddy Roosevelt knew this. Where is the big stick to smash up these robber barons of our day....ugh

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Think a lot of the reason for Comcast losing subs is people cutting the cord and going internet only.

Comcast really had better be wary of rivals like google fiber if it starts to grow more quickly.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The incredibly outdated Comcast guide bothers me. Why the balls hasn't that been updated yet?

Like I said..what is really their incentive to improve their product when they have carved out territorial monopolies. But it's nice to see their crap is starting to bite them in the butt a bit

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
I've been praying for this for years. I get four feeds for every game except Philly's, where I just get the opponents feed. Please PLEASE let me see JJ and crew more than a couple of times per year.:crossfing

I get the same, so many feeds for the Flyers games but its always the opponents feed.
Hope this fixes this on Directv.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
Think a lot of the reason for Comcast losing subs is people cutting the cord and going internet only.

Comcast really had better be wary of rivals like google fiber if it starts to grow more quickly.

Which is why Comcast and the other big cable companies and telcos are fighting so hard against municipal efforts to roll out gigabit networks. Down south they've been pushing for it to be ILLEGAL for a city to do that, and they've lobbied hard in the rest of the country to push back against it.

Again, we pay more for worse service in this country. See here for instance: http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/10/cheapest-150mbps-broadband-in-big-us-cities-costs-100-more-than-overseas/

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Which is why Comcast and the other big cable companies and telcos are fighting so hard against municipal efforts to roll out gigabit networks. Down south they've been pushing for it to be ILLEGAL for a city to do that, and they've lobbied hard in the rest of the country to push back against it.

Again, we pay more for worse service in this country. See here for instance: http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/10/cheapest-150mbps-broadband-in-big-us-cities-costs-100-more-than-overseas/

Nice citation

No surprise here....:rant:

What's the takeaway from all this data? It's not a surprising one: lack of competition makes for bad choices. "[T]the most affordable and fast connections are available in markets where consumers can choose between at least three competitive service providers," the report said.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I had to call DirecTV on something today. I asked about CSN Philly. She said her notes basically said that the two sides are still negotiating.

For all I know its said that for 5 years now, but I'll take any hope.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'll be honest with you, with the new X1, I no longer hate Comcast. I had so many battles with them in the past that I actually switched to DirecTV at one point and lived without the Phillies and Eagles (somehow, the Flyers were never blacked out on Center Ice). Now I am back with Comcast and I gotta say the X1 is better or as good as DirecTV, plus the internet is way faster. If FiOS was in my area, I'd switch just to test'r out and see which I liked better. But ATM, I'm fine with Comcast and actually happy with the service and product.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad