Crosby has 4 goals in his last 27 games. Is he still hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

I find it interesting that Crosby's worst half season ended up being arguably his best season ever in 09-10 when he had 51 goals and 109 points at the end of the season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Won't it be funny if Crosby has a second half like his first half in 2011? 70 points in like 43 games. Ends up with 113 points in 79 gp and makes us all look like idiots.

I don't think he gets quite that high, but I think he'll break 100 again. He's certainly due for a streak, has looked much more confident in his last couple of games.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
"Awwww, boo hoo, our first line centre only has 43 points in 36 games! He's terrible now!" Jesus ****ing christ some people need some perspective.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
"Awwww, boo hoo, our first line centre only has 43 points in 36 games! He's terrible now!" Jesus ****ing christ some people need some perspective.

I think you'll find that it isn't Pittsburgh fans that were complaining about him having 4 goals in 27 games.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
Won't it be funny if Crosby has a second half like his first half in 2011? 70 points in like 43 games. Ends up with 113 points in 79 gp and makes us all look like idiots.

I don't think he gets quite that high, but I think he'll break 100 again. He's certainly due for a streak, has looked much more confident in his last couple of games.

4 goals in his last 28 games but 25 assists over that span for a total of 29 points.

He will need the goals to start going in for him to break 100 points.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
Crosby is very streaky this season, he pads up his stats against certain teams and then disappears for long stretches, but that's how you know he is the best player in the world, right?

First off, only 2 of his 11 multipoint games were against a team he's already gotten multiple points against.

5 of those games were against a team outside of the playoffs for a total of 15 points
(Buffalo - 2x, Boston, NJ, and Carolina)

4 of the games were against teams in the top 4 of their conference for a total of 12 points
(Anaheim - 1st, Nashville - 2nd, NY Islanders - 2nd, and Tampa Bay - 4th)

The remaining 2 games were against 8th seeded Toronto for a total of 5 points.

This shows that when he's having a good, scoring night, the opponent doesn't matter considering his 2.5-3 point average in multipoint games

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I find it interesting that Crosby's worst half season ended up being arguably his best season ever in 09-10 when he had 51 goals and 109 points at the end of the season.

Is it really arguably his best season? I would have thought that his sophomore season was a lot better. Crosby was 3rd or possibly 2nd best player during his Rocket season. I don't find that too impressive. It was a great season, no doubt. But was it even arguably his best?

penguins2946*

Is it really arguably his best season? I would have thought that his sophomore season was a lot better. Crosby was 3rd or possibly 2nd best player during his Rocket season. I don't find that too impressive. It was a great season, no doubt. But was it even arguably his best?

It depends on how you view goals vs assists. Crosby's 09-10 season wasn't better than Crosby's 06-07 season in terms of production (11 more points in 05-06), but Crosby's 09-10 season was significantly better in terms of goal scoring (15 more goals than in 05-06). Do you view a guy that gets 40 goals and 80 points or 25 goals and 90 points better? It's up for debate. Either way, it's at least his 2nd best season due to injuries.

I'm expecting Crosby to finish the season with something like 30 goals and 103 points, which would give him 19 goals and 60 points in his last 43 games.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

He wasn't close to playing his best *hockey*, but as we all know, his peak seasons have all been shortened by injuries.

He was a more complete player in 09-10 than 06-07, though, so that counts for something as well.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It depends on how you view goals vs assists. Crosby's 09-10 season wasn't better than Crosby's 06-07 season in terms of production (11 more points in 05-06), but Crosby's 09-10 season was significantly better in terms of goal scoring (15 more goals than in 05-06). Do you view a guy that gets 40 goals and 80 points or 25 goals and 90 points better? It's up for debate. Either way, it's at least his 2nd best season due to injuries.

I'm expecting Crosby to finish the season with something like 30 goals and 103 points, which would give him 19 goals and 60 points in his last 43 games.

He wasn't close to playing his best *hockey*, but as we all know, his peak seasons have all been shortened by injuries.

He was a more complete player in 09-10 than 06-07, though, so that counts for something as well.

Fair enough. It just always gets me by surprise, that the most dominant player (or whatever wording one want's to use, please don't get hung up on semantics) of his generation might end up with a "mediocre" super-star season as his best full season. Seems like that for a decade Crosby has been either the clear cut best or among the absolute best. I never remember that his full seasons are not a good reflection of his abilities as a player.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON

Last season he finished with 17 goals and 36 assists for 53 points in his final 43 games.

Should be interesting.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
4 goals in his last 28 games but 25 assists over that span for a total of 29 points.

He will need the goals to start going in for him to break 100 points.

Ted Lindsay is the only one to win it with fewer than 25 goals way back in 1949-50.

Crosby needs probably 25 goals to have a chance of winning it without solely relying on assists.

That's what? 14 goals in 43 games. I think he'll do it.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Ted Lindsay is the only one to win it with fewer than 25 goals way back in 1949-50.

Crosby needs probably 25 goals to have a chance of winning it without solely relying on assists.

That's what? 14 goals in 43 games. I think he'll do it.

The season was also 70 games long that time. He had 23 goals in 69 games. If we change the 70 game season to 82 game season it would mean 27 goals. Lindsay also led the league in assists with 55 to 36. That's 23 assist difference when paced out to 82 game season.

I'm not saying these numbers mean anything. But it is hardly any kind of proof that a guy 65 years a go in 70 game league did something.

Interesting fact though. Thank you about that.

Wolf Without a Howl

97% Mumps Free
Jan 25, 2013
FACT: Sidney Crosby has gotten a point on 100% of goals the Penguins score when David Perron is in the lineup. Expecting 90 points over the last half of the season.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
It's disgusting how much better crosby is than everyone not named Malkin. These guys are having career seasons and crosby is still right with them

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It's disgusting how much better crosby is than everyone not named Malkin. These guys are having career seasons and crosby is still right with them

I think you are exaggerating a lot here. Getzlaf is not having a career season. Giroux is not having a career season, Seguin is continuing from where he left off, Patrick Kane is doing as usual.

If something, these guys are playing right to their standards (for few exceptions of course) and Crosby playing a bit under his and they are effectively tied. Which proves that Crosby is usually better than the rest by a clear but small margin.

Edit: Un-necessary.

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I think you'll find that it isn't Pittsburgh fans that were complaining about him having 4 goals in 27 games.
It's pretty much the same 5-10 posters (who are usually in every Crosby thread) who are just licking their chops at the thought of Crosby slipping up. He's tied for fourth in NHL scoring and has played less games than everyone else.

The guy's gone through one of the worst "slumps" of his career, after being hit with the mumps, and he's still the most likely candidate to win the Art Ross...

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It's pretty much the same 5-10 posters (who are usually in every Crosby thread) who are just licking their chops at the thought of Crosby slipping up. He's tied for fourth in NHL scoring and has played less games than everyone else.

The guy's gone through one of the worst "slumps" of his career, after being hit with the mumps, and he's still the most likely candidate to win the Art Ross...

Well, that's just how good he is. I don't think anyone really doubted his abilities to win the Art Ross this year. Even if some guys here were posting about him not being a clear cut favorite.

But it does give us a good idea on how good Crosby is. He is going through a slump and missed three games and is still right up there in the scoring race. Pretty much in line for what we have seen from him in the past.

Too bad his best year(s) were plagued with injuries. I think he most likely is not going to put forth a career defining season anymore. He is still probably going to be the best, or among the best, for few years. But I don't see that 130+ point season in him anymore. He probably had that kind of ability in him few years back.

Fergus

Feb 16, 2014

This thread is about his goal scoring and why he is so terrible at it nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce