Crosby has 4 goals in his last 27 games. Is he still hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
How does one explain that he had 7 goals in his first 8 games and 4 goals in his last 28 games since then?

Well, there is bound to be some random variance there. 8 game sample size is just too small to draw any conclusions. The latter part, 4 goals in 28 games, is more interesting to me. Is it just a slump with some bad bounces? Or is there some nagging injury effecting his shooting?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Well, there is bound to be some random variance there. 8 game sample size is just too small to draw any conclusions. The latter part, 4 goals in 28 games, is more interesting to me. Is it just a slump with some bad bounces? Or is there some nagging injury effecting his shooting?

From what I've seen he's been struggling with puck luck around the net, missing chances a guy like him just doesn't miss. That in turn has hurt his confidence. So in that way its developed like most cold streaks.

I think he will go on a tear here very shortly. He looked very dangerous with Perron last night. Having a right hand shot on his line full time will be interesting.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

He had some really bad luck in December. Breakaways just wouldn't go in. Reckon wit luck he could have had 5 more goals easily.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Crosby is very streaky this season, he pads up his stats against certain teams and then disappears for long stretches, but that's how you know he is the best player in the world, right?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Crosby is very streaky this season, he pads up his stats against certain teams and then disappears for long stretches, but that's how you know he is the best player in the world, right?

He's only had one bad, prolonged spell. There is no truth that he pads his stats against certain teams only this season.

All players in the East will face the same teams.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

So who is the best player? And show how they have been less streaky over their career, not just a 20 game sample.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
He's only had one bad, prolonged spell. There is no truth that he pads his stats against certain teams only this season.

All players in the East will face the same teams.

ok, let me give you more details, Crosby had 6 points in his first two games of the season (Ducks and Leafs) then he picked up 8 points during two games against BUF and he had 4 points against TBL recently, it adds up to 18 points in just 5 games, 40% of his total point production so far this season happened in just those 5 games

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
ok, let me give you more details, Crosby had 6 points in his first two games of the season (Ducks and Leafs) then he picked up 8 points during two games against BUF and he had 4 points against TBL recently, it adds up to 18 points in just 5 games, 40% of his total point production so far this season happened in just those 5 games

You can literally do that with any player. Ducks, Leafs, and Tampa are all playoff teams right? Should those points not be worth as much?

Taking away those games he still has 25 points in 31 gp. Take away the top 5 games from other players and you'll see a similar pattern.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

So? Other players have to play those teams as well.

Voracek has 4 points against Columbus in 2 games, 4 points against Toronto recently, 3 against Colorado and 3 against Dallas. That's 15 points in 5 games. 33 in 34 games without it.

31% in 5 games. Terrible!

Seguin has 4 points against Philadelphia, 5 points in 2 games against Edmonton, 3 against Montreal and 3 against Columbus. 15 points in 5 games. 31 in 32 without it.

32% in 5 games.

Malkin has 6 points in 2 games against Toronto, 4 points in 2 games against Buffalo and 2 points against Boston. 12 points in 5 games. 31 in 34 without it.

27% in 5 games.

It means nothing. Especially at this stage of the season.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
You can literally do that with any player. Ducks, Leafs, and Tampa are all playoff teams right? Should those points not be worth as much?

Taking away those games he still has 25 points in 31 gp. Take away the top 5 games from other players and you'll see a similar pattern.

I don't know. Just checked Getzlaf's stats and he has 2 3 point nights and many 2 point nights. So, he would lose 12 points in 5 games.

I am not saying the point the poster was making has any merit. Just out of curiosity wanted to check. I'll do Voracek and some others too.

Edit: Voracek loses 14 points when taking away his best 5 games. Getzlaf 12 points. Seguin 16.

Seems like Getzlaf has been the most consistent. But we should not dismiss the importance of high-scoring games either. Having a point or two in most games is obviously good. But having a 4-5 point night also means that your team most likely won that game and a lot of it was because of you.

So, I don't think there is a lot we can read in to this. Just thought I'd check.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014

I am saying Crosby had the worst half season of his career, it feels as if 3/4 of teams in the league have good enough D and goaltending to cover him up and make him non factor in games, at least by Crosby standards.

he is still very skilled player and if you give him time and space he will light you up, BUF gave him that and for TBL the other night the goaltending was just non existent, Bishop was terrible (first game back from injury) and Nabokov is, well, Nabokov...

Pens are PP team, Perron is not going to save them, they need to get that PP going or it will be very tough road ahead for the Penguins

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I am saying Crosby had the worst half season of his career, it feels as if 3/4 of teams in the league have good enough D and goaltending to cover him up and make him non factor in games, at least by Crosby standards.

he is still very skilled player and if you give him time and space he will light you up, BUF gave him that and for TBL the other night the goaltending was just non existent, Bishop was terrible (first game back from injury) and Nabokov is, well, Nabokov...

Pens are PP team, Perron is not going to save them, they need to get that PP going or it will be very tough road ahead for the Penguins

Half the season hasn't gone by yet so you can't make that statement.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
So? Other players have to play those teams as well.

Voracek has 4 points against Columbus in 2 games, 4 points against Toronto recently, 3 against Colorado and 3 against Dallas. That's 15 points in 5 games. 33 in 34 games without it.

31% in 5 games. Terrible!

Seguin has 4 points against Philadelphia, 5 points in 2 games against Edmonton, 3 against Montreal and 3 against Columbus. 15 points in 5 games. 31 in 32 without it.

32% in 5 games.

Malkin has 6 points in 2 games against Toronto, 4 points in 2 games against Buffalo and 2 points against Boston. 12 points in 5 games. 31 in 34 without it.

27% in 5 games.

It means nothing. Especially at this stage of the season.
sure, every players has few good nights that are more important than others, I brought up Crosby stats because you said that's not the case...

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
At the half-way point in a season;

2005-06: 48 points in 41 games - 1.17 PPG
2006-07: 68 points in 41 games - 1.65 PPG
2007-08: 57 points in 41 games - 1.39 PPG
2008-09: 51 points in 41 games - 1.24 PPG
2009-10: 48 points in 41 games - 1.17 PPG
2010-11: 66 points in 41 games - 1.60 PPG
2011-12: N/A
2012-13: 39 points in 24 games - 1.62 PPG
2013-14: 58 points in 41 games - 1.41 PPG

sure, every players has few good nights that are more important than others, I brought up Crosby stats because you said that's not the case...

Except all you did was take the top 5 point games and whack them together. That doesn't prove he only performs well against certain teams. He has played 1 game against Anaheim.

He's also played 2 games against Tampa Bay but you didn't include the extra game or mention it when stating his 4 points in one game.

Last edited:

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
At the half-way point in a season;

2005-06: 48 points in 41 games - 1.17 PPG
2006-07: 68 points in 41 games - 1.65 PPG
2007-08: 57 points in 41 games - 1.39 PPG
2008-09: 51 points in 41 games - 1.24 PPG
2009-10: 48 points in 41 games - 1.17 PPG
2010-11: 66 points in 41 games - 1.60 PPG
2011-12: N/A
2012-13: 39 points in 24 games - 1.62 PPG
2013-14: 58 points in 41 games - 1.41 PPG

Except all you did was take the top 5 point games and whack them together. That doesn't prove he only performs well against certain teams. He has played 1 game against Anaheim.

He's also played 2 games against Tampa Bay but you didn't include the extra game or mention it when stating his 4 points in one game.
not against certain team but in certain games... stats aside, I also watch games, Crosby was very meh in most games this season, but he played well in his last two games, so maybe the trend is changing

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
not against certain team but in certain games... stats aside, I also watch games, Crosby was very meh in most games this season, but he played well in his last two games, so maybe the trend is changing

Crosby played well when he was in his slump yet couldn't get the puck in the net.

Crosby only needs 6 points in his next 5 games to beat his worst half-season.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Crosby played well when he was in his slump yet couldn't get the puck in the net.

you seem like a very passionate Crosby fan, for your sake I hope Crosby gets those 6 points and has excellent 2nd half of the season, I have no beef against Crosby he is a great player

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Seems perfectly doable for him.

Also, we need to realize the differences on scoring levels, which affect Crosby just as they affect everyone else. There might not be single 100 point players this year. So, if he scores 2 less (just a number) points than his "worst" half season it doesn't necessary mean it is "worse".

He won't be having a defining season, that's what it looks like.

One interesting thing to look at is where he was at scoring race compared to other guys. So, if he is 1st/2nd/3rd in scoring after halfway, it's still really good. Even if the points are lower than usual.

But Crosby is not playing his best hockey, that's for sure.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
you seem like a very passionate Crosby fan, for your sake I hope Crosby gets those 6 points and has excellent 2nd half of the season, I have no beef against Crosby he is a great player

I like to see Crosby do well, without a doubt. But I'd prefer to see him do well so it helps the team. In case you can't tell I am a Pittsburgh fan. I hope he has a good second half of the season as well.

To hit 100 points he needs 57 points in 43 games. 1.32 PPG. I hope that happens.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
No they most certainly are not. How many other league games you have watched. I've seen live and from TV a lot of different leagues. Including the NHL and most major European leagues. NHL officiating is easily the best there is. I mean, there is basically no contest. In FEL, there is one guy who has the balls and eye to maybe make it in the show.

They still make mistakes. But they are far and above the rest of hockey refs in the world.

He wasn't referring to other hockey leagues. In football, baseball, and basketball, the stars are showcased. Maybe a little too much, but the point is, the guys who sell the tickets don't have to seemingly do twice as well to get the same call.

When Kevin Durant drives to the hoop, the no name that can't stay with him doesn't get "a little leeway to even it up." Durant goes to the line. People don't come to see the other guy, they come to see Durant.

One of the theories about why the Pens PP opportunities have completely dried up the last two months is the Pens PP was so good the refs don't want to put the other team down, so it has to be "doubly obvious to make the call." No other sport has that.

The NHL does not let stars be stars. And that is riduclous.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Yeah, you seem pretty neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce