Crosby has 4 goals in his last 27 games. Is he still hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
yeah...really...anything going forward about Sid should just be put in the Art Ross race thread. He will turn it around...he always does.

Seriously, this is getting out of hand. He's scoring at a 95 point pace and people are acting like he's done.

On the other hand, we do have to consider the fact that this is now his 10th season in the NHL with an obvious history of injuries. I'm not saying he's finished but he might be on the wrong side of his prime. It's crazy to think that in the 10-11 season he played 41 games and had 32 goals and 66 points and at bascially the same spot this year he has a third of the amount of goals and 23 less points.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Crosby will probably never be quite as good as he was in 2010-11 prior to the concussion. He was playing at a level of dominance the league hadn't seen since Lemieux or arguably Gretzky were in their primes. Missing as much time as he did clearly affected his style of play. But he's still the best player in the league and he still deserves to be a favorite for the scoring title for at least another 4 or 5 seasons.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Crosby will probably never be quite as good as he was in 2010-11 prior to the concussion. He was playing at a level of dominance the league hadn't seen since Lemieux or arguably Gretzky were in their primes. Missing as much time as he did clearly affected his style of play. But he's still the best player in the league and he still deserves to be a favorite for the scoring title for at least another 4 or 5 seasons.

When you put Grerzky and Lemieux, that deserves an automatic headshake.

I would think this guy named Jagr dominated more, what with his 149, 127, 123 and 121 pts seasons. Not to mention that Ovechkin had a better stretch the season prior and Malkin in 2011-12.

Jagr had a stretch of 71 pts in 39 games in 1999-00 and 84 pts in 45 games in 2000-01.

Crosby's half season in 2010-11 is by far the most overrated on hfboards.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Seriously, this is getting out of hand. He's scoring at a 95 point pace and people are acting like he's done.

On the other hand, we do have to consider the fact that this is now his 10th season in the NHL with an obvious history of injuries. I'm not saying he's finished but he might be on the wrong side of his prime. It's crazy to think that in the 10-11 season he played 41 games and had 32 goals and 66 points and at bascially the same spot this year he has a third of the amount of goals and 23 less points.

It's a 91 pts pace actually.

Take away his 5 and 4 assists games and it's far less.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby will probably never be quite as good as he was in 2010-11 prior to the concussion. He was playing at a level of dominance the league hadn't seen since Lemieux or arguably Gretzky were in their primes.

Not true. Ovechkin had half season stretches (plural) that were on the same level, except he also had the durability to finish his seasons.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Anyone know how many points Jagr had half way through his 10th season? Just off the top of their heads.

That was the season he had 71 pts in his first 39 games and was playing the most dominant hockey of his career. He had 32 goals 41 assists in his first 41 games. He got injured, missed 19 games and still wound winning the Art Ross with 96 pts.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Anyone know how many points Jagr had half way through his 10th season? Just off the top of their heads.

I know you are trying to give a jab to livewell. But it was actually 71 points with one 7 point night, one 5 point night and three 4 point nights. That was some serious hockey he played that season. Had he played all games, it could be now considered his best season and definitely better than anyone since Gretzky/Lemieux.

Edit: I see you already got an answer.

P.S. livewell, it was in his first 41 games. Not 39.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

I would think this guy named Jagr dominated more, what with his 149, 127, 123 and 121 pts seasons. Not to mention that Ovechkin had a better stretch the season prior and Malkin in 2011-12.

Jagr had a stretch of 71 pts in 39 games in 1999-00 and 84 pts in 45 games in 2000-01.

If we are just talking offense you have a point that it's debatable.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
another dissappointing and unfortunately "standard" game for sid. a few good looks/chances, some very questionable decision-making, and no points.

this is shaping up to be the worst season of his career. he looks like he did in '08-'09 but without the goal scoring.

i would love for him to string together a few big games and shut this thread down, but as of now this is a sad season for him. finally healthy for two years in a row and rather than stringing together dominant seasons and back to back hardware, he's having his worst season.

This is nowhere near his worst season.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I've never looked at "pace" with Crosby. He'll still notch 100 points and probably the Art Ross too. Whether he's cold, dealing with injuries or just plain "unlucky" as some analytics junkies have surmised, Sid's worst is better than 99% of the league's best and it's only a matter of time before he heats up again.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He's projected to finish the season with 91 points but his pace (43 points in 37 games) is a 95 point pace.

I never really understand this logic. Why don't those points count?

Take away Seguin's 4 point game against the Flyers and one of his many 3 points games. Then take away Voracek's 4 point game against the Leafs and one of his 3 point games. Then do the same for Malkin, Johnson, Getzlaf, and Giroux and Crosby's leading the Art Ross race.

You can't just discount huge games. That's what superstars do, they score in bunches. It's like like we're talking about a guy with 30 points and 15 of them came in 3 games.

jack mullet

@jackmullethockey
Nov 13, 2012
Baxter, MN
www.youtube.com

:handclap::handclap::handclap: i love you

jack mullet

@jackmullethockey
Nov 13, 2012
Baxter, MN
www.youtube.com
Crosby now has 4 goals in 29 games. at this point, i think hitting 30 is highly unrealistic. heck, can he get 25 at this point? this is no longer just a slump. 29 games is a good sample size for an 82 game season. yes his points hasn't suffered too much (5 assists vs sabres and 4 vs lightning sure help), but i still think he is injured.

and if he does only manage 25 goals this year, are people still thinking he is the best player in the world?

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Crosby now has 4 goals in 29 games. at this point, i think hitting 30 is highly unrealistic. heck, can he get 25 at this point? this is no longer just a slump. 29 games is a good sample size for an 82 game season. yes his points hasn't suffered too much (5 assists vs sabres and 4 vs lightning sure help), but i still think he is injured.

and if he does only manage 25 goals this year, are people still thinking he is the best player in the world?

Who do you think is the best player in the world if not Crosby?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
You mean If you take away points from a player he will have less at the end of the season????? Brilliant!!!! :sarcasm:

Come on man, didn't you know, the only way you can be a PPG player is if you actually score a point in every single game? Otherwise, you're just an inconsistent bum!

It's the same weak argument that people use to discredit Giroux's playoff resume. "Take away that one Flyers/Pens series and he's under a PPG in the playoffs!". Yeah, let's just ignore it like that series never happened. Let's also just ignore Crosby's 5 point game like it was 5 secondary assists from passes in the neutral zone.

penguins2946*

Holy ****, if you take away the games where he got a lot of points, he has less points. What a shocking revelation. Holy crap, I can't even contain it anymore. What a brilliant, ground breaking discovery.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Holy ****, if you take away the games where he got a lot of points, he has less points. What a shocking revelation. Holy crap, I can't even contain it anymore. What a brilliant, ground breaking discovery.

There's a lot of mocking of that stat, but there might actually be something to it.

Would you rather have a guy who scores 9 points in two games and gets shut out for aother 3 games or a guy who scores 2 points in 4 games plus another point in aother game? After all, those 9 points only contributed to 2 wins, whereas spreading out the points more evenly would more likely contribute to more wins.

jack mullet

@jackmullethockey
Nov 13, 2012
Baxter, MN
www.youtube.com
Who do you think is the best player in the world if not Crosby?

i don't think there is one. i think this subjective, mythological title changes on a weekly if not daily basis. there are simply too many players who are so close to each other talent wise to be able to say this. there hasn't been one player head and shoulders above the rest, IMO, for an extended length of time since Jagr. also, in today's NHL, what does "the best" mean? best goal scorer? points? assists? defensive play?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

You don't measure people just by how many goals they score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad