OT: Craig Morgan’s AZ Coyotes Insider Discussion.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Just subscribed. Nice nuts and bolts hockey stories, which are otherwise in short supply here. Morgan says he plans to post 4 or 5 times per week. Some of the comments to his stories are good reads as well. That "Trent in Gilbert" guy has some good points. :)

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
What's the difference between annual and founding member? (other than $40)

upload_2020-7-10_14-3-13.png

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It’s nice though. There was a noticeable gap of Coyotes content with Craig sidelined.

The AZ Republic site is annoying to navigate and Rich Morin was furloughed anyway. I like the kid who writes for the Coyotes site but it’s fluff, corporate stuff. Burnside wrote a Coyotes thing for the Athletic recently, and he’s fine, but you could tell he’s not on the beat like a local reporter. Read like someone getting dropped into the situation. So welcome back Craig.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Regardless if you want more from him or not, he has shown in the past week he's the guy for Coyotes info. And he writes it very well. Rich has followed his situation, and I'm sure has seen the reaction to his layoff from the athletic in regards to us coyotes fans.

Makes me wonder, with the access Craig has. What's holding other reporters back? It seemed like we got nothing, and Craig is basically able to talk to anyone in the organization whenever he wants.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What's holding other reporters back?

Most every other reporter on the Coyotes beat is only so part time, no reason to cover every little twist and turn.

Probably the only thing stopping more access (to a point anyway) is simply lack of asking/effort.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Today’s Kessel article has me fired up for the playoffs. If he’s dialed in and ready to go, we’ve got a great chance. If Kessel reverts back to his Conn Smythe caliber play-level, and Kuemper doesn’t have any rust on him, I think we will beat Nashville. I think if we beat Nashville, we’ve got a great shot at Hall.

Also, if Kessel steps up and beasts out in this series, and OEL does NOT - I’m ready to be done with OEL. If there are at least a few of our top players that really get up for this series and play like we want, and OEL isn’t one of them, I’m over him. Dude has looked completely asleep at the wheel since Tippett was fired. Your captain isn’t allowed to pout and go through the motions for three years and sleep walk in the playoffs. Can’t happen.

If OEL is a no-show in Edmonton, I start offering him to every team for their 1st, at around pick 10. If I have to get to pick 25 before someone says yes, then so be it.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Today’s Kessel article has me fired up for the playoffs. If he’s dialed in and ready to go, we’ve got a great chance. If Kessel reverts back to his Conn Smythe caliber play-level, and Kuemper doesn’t have any rust on him, I think we will beat Nashville. I think if we beat Nashville, we’ve got a great shot at Hall.

Also, if Kessel steps up and beasts out in this series, and OEL does NOT - I’m ready to be done with OEL. If there are at least a few of our top players that really get up for this series and play like we want, and OEL isn’t one of them, I’m over him. Dude has looked completely asleep at the wheel since Tippett was fired. Your captain isn’t allowed to pout and go through the motions for three years and sleep walk in the playoffs. Can’t happen.

If OEL is a no-show in Edmonton, I start offering him to every team for their 1st, at around pick 10. If I have to get to pick 25 before someone says yes, then so be it.

Another good story from Morgan, in which he doesn't pull punches, quoting Ferraro after one of Kessel's most unproductive games. Yet it's hopeful, pointing out that he may not be as finished as many of us have thought he is this past season.

Agree on OEL. I watched some of the replays of the 2012 playoffs, and it's night and day. His skating and control can be better than the rest of the team, but he has to put in some effort.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
OEL was hurt at the beginning of the year with his knee surgery in the off season and according to what was written, never fully recovered. If now that he's 100% recovered and he still looks like ass, then you absolutely trade him, because this year he wasn't performing as a top pair Dman.

I suspect that the injury was really limiting his mobility as he really, really didn't look like OEL, so hopefully that is the case and we'll get a rejuvenated OEL for the playoffs.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
OEL was hurt at the beginning of the year with his knee surgery in the off season and according to what was written, never fully recovered. If now that he's 100% recovered and he still looks like ass, then you absolutely trade him, because this year he wasn't performing as a top pair Dman.

I suspect that the injury was really limiting his mobility as he really, really didn't look like OEL, so hopefully that is the case and we'll get a rejuvenated OEL for the playoffs.

Something was also affecting his shot. Could a bum knee do that?

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017

I'd say possible...

Less mobility means less ideal shooting lanes and less quality chances to begin with.

And I'm less sure about how much but shot power was probably limited since legs are a part of that. Idk so much about how much on that one though.

Combine them and he's floating less than ideal shots (by comparison).

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Yeah, he skates along the blue line or something similarly laterally to open a lane. He wasn't generating shots in that fashion so much from my memory. If you recall he was taken off the top powerplay unit, so hopefully he's back and we get to add that weapon to the power play making everything else more dangerous. I'm pretty optimistic about the power play in this series if Kessel is back in form as well. You add two players who are vital cogs and it changes the entire dynamic. Throw in that Nashville is absolute garbage on the penalty kill and we may look respectable on it. I'm pretty sure the Coyotes are a top penalty-drawing team too, so it's possible that special teams is a huge part in determining the series.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I remember in an intermission interview on FSA he told Walsh that he got lucky scoring a goals with a snapshot. He explained that his snapshot has never been much good, but since he no longer has a wrist shot, it was really his only option. Walsh being the fantastic reporter that he is, never bothered to ask a follow-up question. He was too busy waiting to say the next trite banality he had cooked up in his big dumb head. I have been dying to know what the heck OEL meant by that throw-away comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad