OT: Craig Morgan’s AZ Coyotes Insider Discussion.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I've thought about sending my resume to Meruelo - my journalism background and my Spanish fluency would be enticing, I think - but with kids in college I can't afford to go back into a line of work with zero job security.
Did you go to school for that or is it something you picked up and had success with? I don't really know the industry and how people become successful beyond building a market for yourself.

If I were a more confident writer I would start putting effort into producing articles and make writing for the Coyotes my side hustle.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Did you go to school for that or is it something you picked up and had success with? I don't really know the industry and how people become successful beyond building a market for yourself.

If I were a more confident writer I would start putting effort into producing articles and make writing for the Coyotes my side hustle.

The best way to become better at something is to do it. Start your own blog. Use a tool like Grammarly to help correct grammar and refine style. Enroll in nearly-free writing classes on sites like Udemy to up your game. Your blog then becomes part of your resume when you apply for a job that actually pays, or maybe your blog becomes so successful you don't need a salary gig.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I went to school for it (back when that was still the road into the industry). When I was in the biz, it was a grind to get anywhere. You got paid gigs and jobs by showing skill, smarts, and attention to detail. Needless to say, in the intervening years the standards have dropped precipitously. Now anyone can go out there and publish a blog, start a podcast, and call themselves a content creator with zero training.

The signal-to-noise ratio in "news" these days is ridiculously bad. I can count on one hand the news orgs that still retain their previously stringent standards for due diligence, sourcing, and fact-checking. Because so many people have gone out and offered themselves out in order to satisfy their jones for having people hear their opinions, the market is totally oversaturated - and because there's so much free content out there, fewer people are paying for news, and consequently newsrooms can't afford to pay people to report it.

So I guess it comes down to whether you want to be legit, or whether you want to make money. It's exceedingly rare to do both nowadays. If you want to be legit, learn how to stringently fact-check. The motto goes, "I'd rather be right than be first." Make that your foundational creed. Learn proper sourcing, and never single-source anything unless you want to be known as a puppet.

If you want to make money, find a niche audience that needs affirmation and give it to them, then set up a Patreon. It's easy money... probably not a great ethical comfort, but in terms of making a living it's about as effective as working in "legitimate" news.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
No Coyote articles on the Athletic since June 2nd. I sort of thought someone would pick up the slack, but since Yotes coverage is dead, and the MLB may not have a season, all of my reasons for being a subscriber are gone.

Seems like the Athletic could have figured out a better revenue model instead of cutting reporters resulting in some teams receiving zero coverage.

Just canceled, but my subscription is still active until December.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
No Coyote articles on the Athletic since June 2nd. I sort of thought someone would pick up the slack, but since Yotes coverage is dead, and the MLB may not have a season, all of my reasons for being a subscriber are gone.

Seems like the Athletic could have figured out a better revenue model instead of cutting reporters resulting in some teams receiving zero coverage.

Just canceled, but my subscription is still active until December.
You didn’t get a prorated refund?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
No, but I didn't ask. My first-year dues were only $35.99. I'm not going to sweat it.
The timing is awkward. The athletic was good for two things; 1) Craig Morgan Coyotes articles and 2) Unparalleled Entry Draft coverage.

Ideally, I’d cancel after the draft. But I anticipated a prorated refund. Damn.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The timing is awkward. The athletic was good for two things; 1) Craig Morgan Coyotes articles and 2) Unparalleled Entry Draft coverage.

Ideally, I’d cancel after the draft. But I anticipated a prorated refund. Damn.

I'm paid through September, that's when I'll probably drop them unless something changes drastically.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Neither does paid. I think they deserved to be paid for good reporting and I would be happy to pay for it.
You could always pay me, keep the money in Arizona. All proceeds go directly to the Yotes.:nod: I can talk bs with the best of them.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I cancelled with feedback that I’m not renewing until they add Coyotes coverage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad