OT: Craig Morgan’s AZ Coyotes Insider Discussion.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I've always really like Craig. I've said nasty things about him on this forum but that reflects poorly on myself, rather than on him. This sucks. Not just because it sucks for him, but he's responsible for a huge majority of any Coyotes related content outside of the official broadcasts. Like maybe 80-90% of it.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Definitely sucks to hear. Hope he can find a way to land on his feet and keep doing what he has been... even if that's just me selfishly hoping for more quality Yotes content.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Seems like a temporary thing until sports pick back up, no? I am sure with his resume he will find a gig.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I kept my Athletic subscription, but I imagine many people cancelled.

rt

May 13, 2004
I kept my Athletic subscription, but I imagine many people cancelled.
I’ll cancel after the draft and won’t renew until the Coyotes are eliminated from the 2020-2021 season. I will want the 2021 draft content. But I’ll wait until our off-season officially begins.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Seems like they are really eschewing the whole Arizona market as they let go of the Suns, Cardinals, and Coyotes writer(s). ASU and the Diamondbacks are still covered, as are the Wildcats, who I'd read stuff on, but my impression is that that author is way less compensated than the let-go ones were. Perhaps when things start back up again they'll be rehired on, or the team itself can hire them on. Lack of coverage aside from being touched upon by national writers here and there is not going to make it worth re-subscribing.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I've always really like Craig. I've said nasty things about him on this forum but that reflects poorly on myself, rather than on him. This sucks. Not just because it sucks for him, but he's responsible for a huge majority of any Coyotes related content outside of the official broadcasts. Like maybe 80-90% of it.
You can get carried away - impressive what you just wrote though.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'd never wish anybody lose their job but I won't miss anything he wrote. We need a media personality in the state independent enough to dig for more than what the team gives freely. I want to know the real story when a guy gets traded or fired and I want a reporter that asks probing questions about on ice play, strategy and lineup changes. Have we ever had that for the hockey team?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'd never wish anybody lose their job but I won't miss anything he wrote. We need a media personality in the state independent enough to dig for more than what the team gives freely. I want to know the real story when a guy gets traded or fired and I want a reporter that asks probing questions about on ice play, strategy and lineup changes. Have we ever had that for the hockey team?
Does any market have someone who writes those stories?

rt

May 13, 2004
The next one will be the first.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
That ends my Athletic subscription. He might not have been the best regarding asking tough questions, but he did a great job. He gave us more info than any other writer has on the team. I actually enjoyed the stories he published about the players' backstory and more personal touches. He was great, hope he gets a gig elsewhere to be able to continue following the team.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The Athletic basically poached away a lot of the best local sports reporting talent in the hopes of creating a super-business, only to discover, like the local newsrooms that went through huge layoffs and cutbacks over the past several years, that talent comes with a big price tag.

The Internet economy loves paying in exposure rather than dollars, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if The Athletic goes down the same road that Vox and SB Nation and Fansided and all the other outlets went down - paying a pittance to amateur writers more invested in attention than a salary. It's an Op-Ed World out there, folks.

I'm sure Craig will get another job, but I doubt it'll be writing about the Coyotes unless Meruelo hires him to be the next Dave Vest.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This is a massive hole in Coyote coverage. I liked Craig’s work. He will be missed. I hope his family isn’t pushed into financial distress during this period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yandover

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The Athletic basically poached away a lot of the best local sports reporting talent in the hopes of creating a super-business, only to discover, like the local newsrooms that went through huge layoffs and cutbacks over the past several years, that talent comes with a big price tag.

The Internet economy loves paying in exposure rather than dollars, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if The Athletic goes down the same road that Vox and SB Nation and Fansided and all the other outlets went down - paying a pittance to amateur writers more invested in attention than a salary. It's an Op-Ed World out there, folks.

I'm sure Craig will get another job, but I doubt it'll be writing about the Coyotes unless Meruelo hires him to be the next Dave Vest.
I don't know how you make a living writing any more, so much free information on the internet, nobody wants to pay for anything.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I don't know how you make a living writing any more, so much free information on the internet, nobody wants to pay for anything.

Advertising. Although you might not be paying for what you read, every web page is loaded with ads. It's not as lucrative as the old model, which is why besides the Athletic obviously struggling, many news organizations, both traditional and online-only have been laying people off.

I think we will eventually get to a place where nearly every news/information website is subscription-based or have different tiers for free info and "premium" and there will be better controls in place to identify and shut down parasite websites that scrape the web for free content.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I was fortunate enough to get a job writing for a private company. Writing copy for advertising, marketing, social media, and etc. isn't nearly as fulfilling as chasing stories as a journalist, but it certainly does pay much, much better and the insurance benefits are out of this world.

Reactions: cobra427 and MIG

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Well, it's a good thing I decided to pay for a year up front to lock in a discounted cost. Ill have a paperweight app until February unless they hire someone on.

Maybe one of us should take up journalism and start covering the Coyotes.

Reactions: Surfshop

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Maybe one of us should take up journalism and start covering the Coyotes.

I've thought about sending my resume to Meruelo - my journalism background and my Spanish fluency would be enticing, I think - but with kids in college I can't afford to go back into a line of work with zero job security.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad