OT: Craig Morgan’s AZ Coyotes Insider Discussion.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Craig’s main fault is that he focused completely on the Coyotes and should have networked across the league. That and he was too afraid at times to ask the hardball questions.

Craig is doing the same thing I did when I was on the beat (starting a coyotes site). I worked my ass off (Yandle nick named me ‘Bootstrap’ as that was my operating budget) and grew it to 500k unique visitors a month (unique visitors not page hits) at its peak.

The problem is that I made about $5 a month in advertising which couldn’t offset the server hosting and other bills I had to pay.

If you like Craig’s work, pay the fee or whatever he’s charging for the service. This is the coverage you always wanted. Help him out folks.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
@Dala - traditionally weight is transferred from the leg closest to puck to leg furthest from puck on a wrist shot. Often there is deception in shooting from the wrong leg, less power, but can be deceptive to goalie. With the advent of composite sticks with ridiculous flex, it's a bit easier to get power off the wrong leg as well.

Reactions: SniperHF and Grimes

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Thanks, sure I was more referring to shooting in stride / in action though. The weight transfer thing between legs sounds a bit like how you teach it to kids (while more or less stationary)? Still need to use your body weight efficiently of course while shooting.

The quick release wrist shot feels like it should put more uneven/dynamic weight on the knee (?), that's why I brought it up. Didn't use it a lot myself though. Barely was any composite sticks around when I was playing in Swedish juniors. Used it a bit in beer leagues but never had neither accuracy or power. :-D
(right-hand shot, always aiming for bar down top right corner. Mostly hit stomach or glass behind ;-), almost only scored when going boring bottom left corner)

Last edited:

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
That’s the same for the majority of NHL goals. :)
Yeah, also known as "gubbhörnet" in Swedish - "old-man corner". Old goalies usually too rigid/unfit to cover that area efficiently. Same goes for the best as well when the shooting ability improves I guess. Also occasionally used to describe Sniper's of old age that knows that is where it is easiest to score. :)

EDIT: Quite funny that both goals scored on NYR Yesterday were in gubbhörnet (slightly elevated, large beer can height, though which is even more efficient if you can pull it off) - both on Shestyorkin and the King.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIGs Dog

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Thanks, sure I was more referring to shooting in stride / in action though. The weight transfer thing between legs sounds a bit like how you teach it to kids (while more or less stationary)? Still need to use your body weight efficiently of course while shooting.

The quick release wrist shot feels like it should put more uneven/dynamic weight on the knee (?), that's why I brought it up. Didn't use it a lot myself though. Barely was any composite sticks around when I was playing in Swedish juniors. Used it a bit in beer leagues but never had neither accuracy or power. :-D
(right-hand shot, always aiming for bar down top right corner. Mostly hit stomach or glass behind ;-), almost only scored when going boring bottom left corner)
It’s all relative and the same principles apply. The idea is to transfer body weight to the shot.

edit: we’re you wondering about OEL’s knee effecting his shot?

Reactions: Dala

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
It’s all relative and the same principles apply. The idea is to transfer body weight to the shot.

edit: we’re you wondering about OEL’s knee effecting his shot?

Yes, exactly. :)

If (?) he was primarily using quick-release *and* it is his left knee that is "less good" it could explain why "he no longer have an efficient wrist shot". Something like that.
As a regular "non-quick" wrist shot shouldn't put that much pressure on the (right) knee (specifically) as far as I can understand (almost none on the left). At least the latter would be more "stable" pressure/weight that doesn't "move" (as much). See: mountain/molehill though ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Craig's latest has a number of league sources suggesting the Coyotes should name Shane Doan as President of Hockey Ops.

Gotta think he would have a better idea than Meruelo as to who would be solid GM candidates...

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I really don't like the idea of Doan in hockey ops. Certainly not as one of the biggest voices in the room. Give him a nice, well-paying gig as community ambassador.

Reactions: Kaizen and Yandover

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I really don't like the idea of Doan in hockey ops. Certainly not as one of the biggest voices in the room. Give him a nice, well-paying gig as community ambassador.
I think he could be very well suited to a player development role. I think he has a lot to teach younger players in the system. It was one of his main strengths as a player. He always played the development role as though it were is job anyway. He didn’t make it on talent. He could help our prospects.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'd like to see him as a liaison between players and management and make sure the title has some sort of executive in it so he is talking to the media regularly. He's best suited as a face of the organization guy and he'd be perfect to talk to players that have issues whether it is personal or professional. Talk to a Strome about working harder on conditioning/skating. Go speak to Domi about his role on the team and make sure he's happy. Get on Duclair's ass about working harder and being consistent. Maybe if we had a person in this type of role we wouldn't be dumping talented younger players before we know what they're capable of becoming. Doan would have immediate respect from the players and the organization could definitely use some of that.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I'd like to see him as a liaison between players and management and make sure the title has some sort of executive in it so he is talking to the media regularly. He's best suited as a face of the organization guy and he'd be perfect to talk to players that have issues whether it is personal or professional. Talk to a Strome about working harder on conditioning/skating. Go speak to Domi about his role on the team and make sure he's happy. Get on Duclair's ass about working harder and being consistent. Maybe if we had a person in this type of role we wouldn't be dumping talented younger players before we know what they're capable of becoming. Doan would have immediate respect from the players and the organization could definitely use some of that.
Sounds like a Captain

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Finally got around to subscribing. I feel like I should do it on principle. Without subscriptions, quality journalists like Craig Morgan just go away because there's no more incentive to report on a specific team.

I think the growing use of paywalls is a good thing. But, I wish many publications would go to a pay per article option. Sometimes there is something I want to read at NYT or The Atlantic but don't want to spring for the full subscription.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I think the growing use of paywalls is a good thing. But, I wish many publications would go to a pay per article option. Sometimes there is something I want to read at NYT or The Atlantic but don't want to spring for the full subscription.

Local team coverage is the only way I would pay for a pay wall. Most news sites have articles I can find elsewhere...verbatim...on the internet. It's like throwing money in to the wind.

You do know that Doan has been working in the NHL front office since he's retired, right? He's ready.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Local team coverage is the only way I would pay for a pay wall. Most news sites have articles I can find elsewhere...verbatim...on the internet. It's like throwing money in to the wind.

You do know that Doan has been working in the NHL front office since he's retired, right? He's ready.
Not sure if Doan is ready or not, but I don't think he is far away as most think. Doan has to prove he is ready, and he know it, so he has to work his way up, but he can and will, and it won't take long.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Another great piece by Craig. Amazing that Tucson, with a UA club team and AHL franchise, does not have a year round sheet of ice.

The Big Read: How the Coyotes hope to grow the game in the Latinx community

Al Montoya, Rafi Torres, Scott Gomez are all out there. AZ isn't a half bad place to retire and work with the organization in some capacity.

There are a lot of empty big box stores out there that could fit one or two rinks. I wonder if you could organize it as a non profit and figure out a way to make it work money wise.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You could turn Metrocenter into some sort of Southwest Hockey Academy for USA Hockey.

There was a rink in the mall years ago. Not sure if that would help, like if any of the stuff they need to put one in is still there. I don't remember when they actually took it out. Has to be like 30 plus years. f*** I'm getting old.

Reactions: Fuhrious

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
There was a rink in the mall years ago. Not sure if that would help, like if any of the stuff they need to put one in is still there. I don't remember when they actually took it out. Has to be like 30 plus years. f*** I'm getting old.

They took it out in the late '80s, just after they filmed Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure there. I doubt any of the mechanisms from the old rink are still there, but maybe there's still some plumbing down there that they could reuse.

It certainly would be a great spot for a regional hockey training facility if USA Hockey wanted one there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad