OT: Craig Morgan’s AZ Coyotes Insider Discussion.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
My weird criticism of the Athletic is they produce too much stuff. A lot of good stuff that you can’t possibly have the time to read.
This is my reason for not subscribing. The Athletic is inexpensive and I'm not frugal by any stretch, but I can't keep up as it is with NHL news with all the good podcasts and other content out there. I just don't have the time. Ten years ago would have been different.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Besides dropping most AZ sports writers, they've had so much political content recently. I go there to read about sports,and lately it's been almost half stories about racial inequality. I'm not saying that it's not important, but again I go to the ATHLETIC for sports content. There's so many interesting pieces of sports history or weird what if scenarios I'd like to read about, and frankly I don't care what athletes think about anything that isn't sports.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Besides dropping most AZ sports writers, they've had so much political content recently. I go there to read about sports,and lately it's been almost half stories about racial inequality. I'm not saying that it's not important, but again I go to the ATHLETIC for sports content. There's so many interesting pieces of sports history or weird what if scenarios I'd like to read about, and frankly I don't care what athletes think about anything that isn't sports.

Some NBA players don't want to start the season because it would be a distraction from the protests. Huh? We should all be so privileged.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Some NBA players don't want to start the season because it would be a distraction from the protests. Huh? We should all be so privileged.

Just shows you don't have to be smart to play basketball. I'm so tired of all this BS. All sports franchise should call this virus an act of god and cancel all contracts. Start over will a top salary of $1 mill. or whatever the league chooses. Let's give money to the people who deserve it, such as police, doctors, teachers etc., not these dumb ass athletes. Society is so screwed up.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I wonder what it would be like to enter a sports bar in August and every big screen is showing a different NHL playoff game. No baseball or hoops. Just intense playoff hockey. People are starving for live sports right now.

Well there's championship cornhole, Korean baseball, professional bowling......

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Only reason I'd subscribe to the Athletic right now is because Down Goes Brown is on there.

The Down Goes Brown History of the NHL was a good read. It was my first exposure to McIndoe. Didn't find it funny aside from a few bits but it's a solid and readable history that touches upon some things that most historians would ignore.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The Down Goes Brown History of the NHL was a good read. It was my first exposure to McIndoe. Didn't find it funny aside from a few bits but it's a solid and readable history that touches upon some things that most historians would ignore.

I was surprised at the book. It features very little of McIndoe's trademark humor and was consequently a bit of a slog for me. I much prefer his online work, because it's far more nimble and quick-witted.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Fyi, check his twitter out. He posted a survey to see if people would be interested in hiking continuing to write. It mentioned something like $5. a month possibly. No clue if he would travel with the team(there is a question about how important traveling with the team would be). Something you guys might be interested in.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Interesting. If being on his own allowed him to ask some tougher questions I'd strongly consider subbing for $5 a month. That's a fairly big if though.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Fyi, check his twitter out. He posted a survey to see if people would be interested in hiking continuing to write. It mentioned something like $5. a month possibly. No clue if he would travel with the team(there is a question about how important traveling with the team would be). Something you guys might be interested in.

Reactions: awfulwaffle

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Interesting. If being on his own allowed him to ask some tougher questions I'd strongly consider subbing for $5 a month. That's a fairly big if though.
That’s exactly what I encouraged him to do in the comments portion. If they sure as shit want to win - hold ‘em accountable.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That’s exaCurly what I encouraged him to do in the comments portion. If they sure as shit want to win - hold ‘em accountable.
I had similar feedback. If he wants to be paid as a stand-alone platform, I’m happy to do that, but he has to expand his offering. He needs to start including types of content he had previously avoided because he admittedly doesn’t like covering. This includes things like criticisms and speculation. Also things like mock drafts, trade rumors, etc. Additionally a closer eye on minor and amateur hockey. I think if his coverage is to stand-alone on its own, it needs to be more well-rounded and all-encompassing.

The work he did for the Athletic was really good, it just was too narrow to be it’s own thing. And I think that was due to his preferences at the time.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The thing is he is obviously kept in the dark and has no real source for info beyond what they give him. He is their PR person. He should be paid by the team. If it were otherwise, he wouldn't be consistently blindsided. I don't know how he gets more information by not toeing the line.

Hell, Gambo apparently has better actual access to information. Gambo at least hears whispers and looks into it. Craig Morgan studiously avoids whispers and ignores them. How long did rumours of a sale to majority Barroway linger before he addressed it? Weeks of rumours about Tipp being fired, but radio silence from the team "insider". When he finally comments, it's a few hours before he gets canned essentially saying, "Tippetts at the draft, soo... " He gets and prints exactly what the team tells him to. He has never printed something whispered to him. I doubt anyone whispers to him. He's never cultivated that sort of contact. He's so "inside" that he's actually part of the org.

Add to that (well, it parallels), the fact he went from the only person covering the team to ask the occasional critical question (long, long ago), to a petty cheerleader that aggressively defends the team from anybody asking legitimate questions that even look like they approach criticism.

I know what Craig is. He deliberately became that as a career move. He traded objectivity to be the team's mouthpiece because it gave him a degree of access noone else has/had. If the team wants a story out there, they drop it to Craig.

I don't see how that changes. He can't rely on independent sources he doesn't have. And he 's never cultivated them, so he needs the team access. He doesn't get the officials stories thrown his way by printing something that they don't greenlight.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The thing is he is obviously kept in the dark and has no real source for info beyond what they give him. He is their PR person. He should be paid by the team. If it were otherwise, he wouldn't be consistently blindsided. I don't know how he gets more information by not toeing the line.

Hell, Gambo apparently has better actual access to information. Gambo at least hears whispers and looks into it. Craig Morgan studiously avoids whispers and ignores them. How long did rumours of a sale to majority Barroway linger before he addressed it? Weeks of rumours about Tipp being fired, but radio silence from the team "insider". When he finally comments, it's a few hours before he gets canned essentially saying, "Tippetts at the draft, soo... " He gets and prints exactly what the team tells him to. He has never printed something whispered to him. I doubt anyone whispers to him. He's never cultivated that sort of contact. He's so "inside" that he's actually part of the org.

Add to that (well, it parallels), the fact he went from the only person covering the team to ask the occasional critical question (long, long ago), to a petty cheerleader that aggressively defends the team from anybody asking legitimate questions that even look like they approach criticism.

I know what Craig is. He deliberately became that as a career move. He traded objectivity to be the team's mouthpiece because it gave him a degree of access noone else has/had. If the team wants a story out there, they drop it to Craig.

I don't see how that changes. He can't rely on independent sources he doesn't have. And he 's never cultivated them, so he needs the team access. He doesn't get the officials stories thrown his way by printing something that they don't greenlight.
Then he won't get my five bucks. It's pretty simple, either do what needs to be done, or hope there are enough fools who love fluff.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I think there’s an awful lot of truth in this. I also think circumstances have changed and Craig can too.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think there’s an awful lot of truth in this. I also think circumstances have changed and Craig can too.
I don't think he can change and still be the beneficiary of the "insider" stories that have defined him for a decade or what have you. They hold the keys, not him. He's not going to be able to have his cake and eat it, too. The org is his well. He's otherwise in a desert and would have to dig his own well. He hasn't shown he knows how in the slightest. They aren't going to continue to spoonfeed him while he bites at their hands. They'll just find a new, hungrier person to spoonfeed and turn into the new insider, while Craig tries to figure out how to generate his own scoops from the rumour mill.

I don't think he's worth $60 a year, but more power to him if he wants to make a go of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad