Cpjhl junior development league

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Game 1, two teams folded just prior to season, one has a delayed start, and Seaforth ices 14 skaters tonight in a 7-0 loss. I think concerns were justified.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Game 1, two teams folded just prior to season, one has a delayed start, and Seaforth ices 14 skaters tonight in a 7-0 loss. I think concerns were justified.

I wont name the kid, but looking at the rosters and spot checking players, one of them was on a house league midget team last year.

Again, I'm cool with the league, it has its purpose, but lets hope the operators don't pretend that its filled with players headed to the OHL/D1.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
I wont name the kid, but looking at the rosters and spot checking players, one of them was on a house league midget team last year.

Again, I'm cool with the league, it has its purpose, but lets hope the operators don't pretend that its filled with players headed to the OHL/D1.

You are 100% right... And if this sight is correct http://collegehockeyinc.com/stats/commitments.php only 3 CCHL players for the 2016/17 season are committed to NCAA Div 1 and of the 677 current committs (2016-2020) only 14 are CCHL.

So I guess all that to say, what's the difference. They are all just living the dream in that regard. If a house kids wants to play "Junior" hockey then go for it. We are watering down competitive hockey at every age level, so now we are doing it in Junior too.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
You are 100% right... And if this sight is correct http://collegehockeyinc.com/stats/commitments.php only 3 CCHL players for the 2016/17 season are committed to NCAA Div 1 and of the 677 current committs (2016-2020) only 14 are CCHL.

So I guess all that to say, what's the difference. They are all just living the dream in that regard. If a house kids wants to play "Junior" hockey then go for it. We are watering down competitive hockey at every age level, so now we are doing it in Junior too.

Ya, I guess I don't look at it that way. Until they prove they are truly a junior league and attract junior level players, it's a midget league for 18+, like U21 in Toronto. There's a market for it, but it's not Junior.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
and as for teams to play, I can promise you this, every team will finish the season

So much for that...

Not Angelo's fault, I truly believe his heart is in the right place, but this is why you need to be careful about who you do business with. He'll have the bodies to finish the year, not sure his peers will

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Akwesasne folded due to lack of players
Coldwater folded due to lack of players
Norwood given permission to delay start due to lack of players and a coaching change
Seaforth and Grey Highlands have 14 skaters each.
Glengarry has 12 skaters.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Akwesasne folded due to lack of players
Coldwater folded due to lack of players
Norwood given permission to delay start due to lack of players and a coaching change
Seaforth and Grey Highlands have 14 skaters each.
Glengarry has 12 skaters.

Any insight on the roster numbers for the Sharpshooters? Despite any misgivings I have about the viability of this league I do wish the boys success if this is the route they have chosen.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Any insight on the roster numbers for the Sharpshooters? Despite any misgivings I have about the viability of this league I do wish the boys success if this is the route they have chosen.

Sharpshooters haven't provided roster yet. O-Town Rebels have a full roster, 20 skaters and 3 goalies. Essa appears to be filled as well, including 8 imports from the UK (which is confusing since we were told the limit was 6).

Last edited:

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Sharpshooters haven't provided roster yet. O-Town Rebels have a full roster, 20 skaters and 3 goalies. Essa appears to be filled as well, including 8 imports from the UK (which is confusing since we were told the limit was 6).

Myself as well. It seems like its being held up like a house of cards at this point. Hopefully for the kids involved, I'm wrong.

Ducksflytogether

Apr 11, 2015
As far as I know ive heard the sharpshooters have a very solid roster.
From the website...
- Captain Nate Hans who played Junior A last year in the NOJ and MJ.
- Assistant Captain Calvin Wheatley played Junior B for Perth and OJC.
- Goalie Zach Mills played Junior A last year in the NOJ.
- Jory Wong played Midget AA for the Sting last year.

I have also overheard they have signed a couple CCHL2 Jr. B players that decided to play closer to home in Almonte.

The U18 AAA team also have some very good players that could potential play for Almonte. Zachs younger brother Josh is a defenseman who played for the SF Bears AAA last year. Its rumored they also have Cameron Scrivens and Connor Drost who both played HEO AAA last year, and have MAD potential.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
From the website...

I have also overheard they have signed a couple CCHL2 Jr. B players that decided to play closer to home in Almonte.

The U18 AAA team also have some very good players that could potential play for Almonte. Zachs younger brother Josh is a defenseman who played for the SF Bears AAA last year. Its rumored they also have Cameron Scrivens and Connor Drost who both played HEO AAA last year, and have MAD potential.

How can anyone say they have a strong roster with only 4 confirmed players? Why is the roster not posted, their first game is Saturday.....

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
From the website...

I don't think you can throw those statements out there without being challenged, and I don't want to challenge them because I am sure these kids don't deserve that.

How about before you say these things you look at the actual facts, of what teams (regardless of the league) they played for, how did those teams do and how did the individuals do. For example, if someone had < 5 points in a 45 game season, maybe they don't have MAD potential ??

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I don't think you can throw those statements out there without being challenged, and I don't want to challenge them because I am sure these kids don't deserve that.

How about before you say these things you look at the actual facts, of what teams (regardless of the league) they played for, how did those teams do and how did the individuals do. For example, if someone had < 5 points in a 45 game season, maybe they don't have MAD potential ??

Just a guess, but I'm sure that the poster in question has some tie to the organization, be it from a players perspective or other. Its par for the course. At this point the bigger concern is will they have anyone to play in a month?

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Burk's Falls has now also been granted a delayed start, due to no practices with their new coach.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
This is why we asked questions. Wish the best for the kids, but not looking good.

Just to add to the mess. Muskoka shows up to play Seaforth with 10 skaters, one of which earns 34 minutes in penalties in 37 minutes of game time. 82 seconds into the game he takes a roughing and an unsportsmanlike. As he steps back on the ice, he earns a 10 minute misconduct. Less than 2 minutes into the second, he gets a 4 minute butt-ending penalty, and before the period can end, a 2 minute slash, a 5 for fighting, a gross for travesty of the game, 2 for the instigator, 2 for aggressor, and a game misconduct....for jumping a guy. What do you think his whole purpose was for being there?

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Just to add to the mess. Muskoka shows up to play Seaforth with 10 skaters, one of which earns 34 minutes in penalties in 37 minutes of game time. 82 seconds into the game he takes a roughing and an unsportsmanlike. As he steps back on the ice, he earns a 10 minute misconduct. Less than 2 minutes into the second, he gets a 4 minute butt-ending penalty, and before the period can end, a 2 minute slash, a 5 for fighting, a gross for travesty of the game, 2 for the instigator, 2 for aggressor, and a game misconduct....for jumping a guy. What do you think his whole purpose was for being there?

He should have spent his 5 grand on booze and gone to the carp fair. Same end result.

Reactions: KKWG11 and Garyboy

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
From the website...

Assistant Captain Calvin Wheatley is playing defense for the Ottawa Jr Canadians of the CCHL2.

Sharpshooters Parent

Mar 1, 2016
Almonte Jr Sharpshooters win their season opener 5-1 with a two goal performance from Team Capt Nat Hans and goals from rookies Nick Dempster, Fergus Pearson and Andrew Hudson.

The team is in action again tonight vs Norwood Nemesis

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Almonte Jr Sharpshooters win their season opener 5-1 with a two goal performance from Team Capt Nat Hans and goals from rookies Nick Dempster, Fergus Pearson and Andrew Hudson.

The team is in action again tonight vs Norwood Nemesis

You would think if this league wanted to be scouted then roster would have details of each player such as date of birth, height, weight, which hand they shoot, previous team, etc.. I doubt any scouts will research whole roster of each team before attending.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
You would think if this league wanted to be scouted then roster would have details of each player such as date of birth, height, weight, which hand they shoot, previous team, etc.. I doubt any scouts will research whole roster of each team before attending.

+1, that's forgetting the entire fact that scouts are not allowed to attend...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad