Cpjhl junior development league

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Getting home at 1am on Sunday night, with school the next morning, from Norwood wouldn't exactly make me thing this is an 'educational' league. That's brutal.

I use to work in jr a and there was times that will would get home at 2 am get 5 hour sleep players went to school back at the rink for 5:00.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What a sad state of affairs, and not just this league- all junior hockey. Kids that should be finding a C team close to home or school and making a little gas cash from towns that want a winner getting sold a bag of smoke and pumped for a couple grand.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
I use to work in jr a and there was times that will would get home at 2 am get 5 hour sleep players went to school back at the rink for 5:00.

That could very well be the case, but if you look at Jr A today, be it the OJHL, CCHL, even the GOJHL, no one is home at 1am, no one is home at 12am. Its just not done with minors.

Only thing I am surprised about is that people are surprised about this league not being what they thought

Oh, Its starting to look exactly what I thought it was. Well see about the rosters but id seems like mostly players who didn't get into Midget U18 or the CCHL2.

Happy to be proven wrong.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
That could very well be the case, but if you look at Jr A today, be it the OJHL, CCHL, even the GOJHL, no one is home at 1am, no one is home at 12am. Its just not done with minors.

Oh, Its starting to look exactly what I thought it was. Well see about the rosters but id seems like mostly players who didn't get into Midget U18 or the CCHL2.

Happy to be proven wrong.

The team I worked for was in the Cjhl and yes you would not get home until 1-2 am on certain road trips

Game time 7:30
Game over 9:45
Leave arena 10:30
Stop for supper 10:45
Leave restaurant 11:30
Arrive home 1-2 am

It all depended on where the game was but yes many times we would not get home until early morning.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
The team I worked for was in the Cjhl and yes you would not get home until 1-2 am on certain road trips

Game time 7:30
Game over 9:45
Leave arena 10:30
Stop for supper 10:45
Leave restaurant 11:30
Arrive home 1-2 am

It all depended on where the game was but yes many times we would not get home until early morning.

Ok, like I said, that could be the case, I don't doubt you, but that doesn't happen NOW, which was my point.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Ok, like I said, that could be the case, I don't doubt you, but that doesn't happen NOW, which was my point.

What makes you think the players in the CCHL do not get home after mdnight.
This not even close to what goes on you are making stuff up.
U18 had players getting home late the next morning.

highwayman

Aug 4, 2015

I have to disagree with your point on this one. Have you viewed the travelling in NOJHL and SIJHL, many hours spent on the road. How about OHL Ottawa at Peterborough on a Thursday night. A 7.30 game, depart Peterborough around 10.30 with three hours of travelling - arrive Ottawa 1.30 -2.00 a.m. If your comparing only to the CCHL, it is basically the league with the least amount of travel in the country, it is not the norm.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
I have to disagree with your point on this one. Have you viewed the travelling in NOJHL and SIJHL, many hours spent on the road. How about OHL Ottawa at Peterborough on a Thursday night. A 7.30 game, depart Peterborough around 10.30 with three hours of travelling - arrive Ottawa 1.30 -2.00 a.m. If your comparing only to the CCHL, it is basically the league with the least amount of travel in the country, it is not the norm.

OHL is a different animal, they have schools work around their schedule, tutors on buses, etc. And fair enough.

PG

Feb 2, 2012
I don't dislike the league, as long as everyone is on the up and up with it. No one really ever moves on from outlaw leagues to league that they couldn't have made anyways, most Midget aged players could play D3 in my opinion.

That said, if the kid wants to find a fun place to play to keep in shape and stay in hockey, have at it. I don't know if its fair to suggest that if someone is playing in this league then they are not saving for college, but I think we generally agree. If anyone is joining this league in hopes of getting an OHL or D1 deal, I think their going to be greatly disappointed.

I quit playing hockey early after it was obvious I wasn't going to be a pro, my biggest regret. I missed the fun of being with a team.

Most midget age players could play NCAA DIII? Let's not be daft. Take in a couple of games and you will likely have a different opinion of the level of hockey played in D3. With over 1000 playing JR A in Canada, only a fraction get a sniff from D3 scouts….It's not D1 of course, but the top teams in D3 will give CIS teams a good run

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Most midget age players could play NCAA DIII? Let's not be daft. Take in a couple of games and you will likely have a different opinion of the level of hockey played in D3. With over 1000 playing JR A in Canada, only a fraction get a sniff from D3 scouts….It's not D1 of course, but the top teams in D3 will give CIS teams a good run

Hi. I think you are greatly over estimating the talent level at NCAA DIII schools and I know for a fact you are underestimating CIS hockey. I have seen CIS teams beat very high ranked NCAA DI teams.

PG

Feb 2, 2012
Hi. I think you are greatly over estimating the talent level at NCAA DIII schools and I know for a fact you are underestimating CIS hockey. I have seen CIS teams beat very high ranked NCAA DI teams.

I agree with your last statement....if you read what I said, top ranked D3 would give CIS teams a good game

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I agree with your last statement....if you read what I said, top ranked D3 would give CIS teams a good game

I work in the player advisory field, Im well aware of the level of D3 hockey, statement stands. You can disagree, feel free.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Don't see much in the way of rosters posted for this league....does anyone know if the teams were able to recruit enough players to be viable?

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Norwood has only been able to sign 11 players to date and replaced their coach just 2 weeks ago. Their schedule has been altered for a later start.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa Sharpshooters stopped announcing player signings after 4.....assuming they have more that that...but wondering why the rosters are not available for any of the teams with the season opening tomorrow....

They had a travel team last year so I doubt that they would have an issue, I bet its more of a lack of technical knowledge/caring. Last year they never bothered to post scores on their site either.

All those who did not have a team last year, its the wild west. I don't doubt that there will be games, but who will be playing and will everyone be able to play?

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
....and then there was 9.

CPJHL just announced (less than 12 hours prior to season start) that Akwesasne Chiefs and Coldwater Falcons will not be icing teams this year. The East Division will now have 4 teams.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
CPJHL just announced (less than 12 hours prior to season start) that Akwesasne Chiefs and Coldwater Falcons will not be icing teams this year. The East Division will now have 4 teams.

I know Angelo said we where not allowed to ask questions and 'be negative', but this is why we where asking questions. Feel bad for the kids that are left without a team, hopefully the parents get a full refund.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
They had a travel team last year so I doubt that they would have an issue, I bet its more of a lack of technical knowledge/caring. Last year they never bothered to post scores on their site either.

All those who did not have a team last year, its the wild west. I don't doubt that there will be games, but who will be playing and will everyone be able to play?

Sharpshooters had a U18 team last year...even if they all return its likely they are not all "junior" caliberor even age...even this level of Jr....

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Sharpshooters had a U18 team last year...even if they all return its likely they are not all "junior" caliberor even age...even this level of Jr....

No arguments there. Just saying, they will have players. Talent level TBA.

EDIT: Just took a look, they're presenting this as if Scouts will be at games, yet they have not uploaded rosters anywhere. Scouts usually like rosters when they decide what games they are going too.....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad