Cpjhl junior development league

Magic365

Feb 15, 2016
Cpjhl

What's wrong with competition?

Think of it like a free market. If there is no demand, the product will fail. If there is, it will improve all leagues, not just their own.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
What's wrong with competition?

Think of it like a free market. If there is no demand, the product will fail. If there is, it will improve all leagues, not just their own.

I think if you look through the comments, no one has an issue with it, there's an obvious market for it. The only questions we ask are how can this be a development league when outlaw leagues never send players to D1 or the CHL? What are they developing towards?

There's a market for it, so have at it, but as long as everyone knows what they are getting into.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Beer league just had 2 kids drafted into NHL....not bad for a beer league.....

Sorry to confuse you, but this is the CPJHL thread. So unless you are telling me two kids were just drafted to the NHL from the CPJHL I won't bother retracing my comment.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Hearing more kids are still being contacted by Facebook today. This method of recruiting is more then enough to put me off. Until kids are 18, they should be contacting parents first.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Hearing more kids are still being contacted by Facebook today. This method of recruiting is more then enough to put me off. Until kids are 18, they should be contacting parents first.

If the league was as strong as they like to suggest, they wouldn't need to. Starting to sound more and more like the other outlaw leagues by the day.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
If the league was as strong as they like to suggest, they wouldn't need to. Starting to sound more and more like the other outlaw leagues by the day.

My thoughts exactly. Don't see any reason not to play CCHL, CCHL2, Jr.C with Hockey Canada...can't make any of these teams when older, then save your money for university or college tuition....that is reality.

Magic365

Feb 15, 2016
Cpjhl

In terms of Junior teams in the Ottawa area regarding the contraction of JR.B a couple years ago- If you include the 3 CPJHL teams from the area, has there been a net increase or decrease of Junior Hockey teams in the area?

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
In terms of Junior teams in the Ottawa area regarding the contraction of JR.B a couple years ago- If you include the 3 CPJHL teams from the area, has there been a net increase or decrease of Junior Hockey teams in the area?

Still a decrease over past few years but there is a greater decrease in number of hockey players to fill spots each year as well. You see it in minor hockey where organizations have to merge to get enough players to make a competitive team.

Magic365

Feb 15, 2016
Cpjhl

Smart move IMHO not calling it Jr.A, at least now don't have to worry about that hanging over their heads. Anyone hear of any CCHL players leaving for the new league?

highwayman

Aug 4, 2015
Schedule

July has come and gone, no schedule posted yet on the CPJHL website. Are their problems looming on the horizon?

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
Its funny that a lot of the people crapping on this new league are the same people that spoke out about how great change would be when U18 came into place.

Don't fear change

Competition is good

all that talk.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Its funny that a lot of the people crapping on this new league are the same people that spoke out about how great change would be when U18 came into place.

Don't fear change

Competition is good

all that talk.

My issues with the U18 where more about motivation for change, not the change itself. Now that the CCHL has full control of the development of every single Ottawa player from 14 onwards, there is no excuse to continue to roster over 55 percent of non HEO players. Can't blame local minor hockey programs for lack of development anymore, it's on them. Even this summer we've seen a significant amount of non HEO players signed, limited Ottawa players committed too. Ill give it time and see what final rosters look like, its not a great start, but ill yield until the final rosters are set.

Issues with a new league are significantly different. My fears are two fold, 1. What are parents being told about 'exposure', and 2. Will the league complete a full schedule, ensuring that players and parents get everything that they are paying for. I have my thoughts on #1 based on interactions with posters on here, but I can't say for certain so I won't judge, however #2 is a legitimate concern. Last year we all had the same concerns about the CIHL, they said 'trust us, trust us', we know how that turned out. When your starting a league and asking parents to pay up front with no proof you can execute what you say you can, there needs to be questions asked, and leagues shouldn't shy away from those questions.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
what is the cost for playing on a team?
if not HC sanctioned, where are the refs from and what qualifications do they have?
what rules/by-laws are teams/officials/players bound by?
what kind of insurance does the league have, since they won't be under HC's carrier?

Last edited:

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
There's teams starting to fill up with players

The Seaforth Generals for example has found people from WSHL, SOJHL and high school.

Essa Stallions got one kid from Great Britain, and another one last year in the GMHL

do we need to be actually recruiting midget aged players from Great Britain?

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
My thoughts exactly. Don't see any reason not to play CCHL, CCHL2, Jr.C with Hockey Canada...can't make any of these teams when older, then save your money for university or college tuition....that is reality.

There are some that take issue with how parents are allowed to own teams in leagues such as the CCHL if the league or hockey Canada came out and banned that it would make many people happy.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009

I don't dislike the league, as long as everyone is on the up and up with it. No one really ever moves on from outlaw leagues to league that they couldn't have made anyways, most Midget aged players could play D3 in my opinion.

That said, if the kid wants to find a fun place to play to keep in shape and stay in hockey, have at it. I don't know if its fair to suggest that if someone is playing in this league then they are not saving for college, but I think we generally agree. If anyone is joining this league in hopes of getting an OHL or D1 deal, I think their going to be greatly disappointed.

I quit playing hockey early after it was obvious I wasn't going to be a pro, my biggest regret. I missed the fun of being with a team.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
I don't dislike the league, as long as everyone is on the up and up with it. No one really ever moves on from outlaw leagues to league that they couldn't have made anyways, most Midget aged players could play D3 in my opinion.

That said, if the kid wants to find a fun place to play to keep in shape and stay in hockey, have at it. I don't know if its fair to suggest that if someone is playing in this league then they are not saving for college, but I think we generally agree. If anyone is joining this league in hopes of getting an OHL or D1 deal, I think their going to be greatly disappointed.

I quit playing hockey early after it was obvious I wasn't going to be a pro, my biggest regret. I missed the fun of being with a team.

With JR B in HEO heading north of $3K to play, this is no different. How many Jr B players head off to D1 scholarships.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
With JR B in HEO heading north of $3K to play, this is no different. How many Jr B players head off to D1 scholarships.

Id argue hard that Jr B is well ahead is this league. I assumed that was out of the question. Jr B saw a player drafted to the OHL last year, another the year before. There's no doubt what one is ahead of the other, didn't even want to put them in the same discussion.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Id argue hard that Jr B is well ahead is this league. I assumed that was out of the question. Jr B saw a player drafted to the OHL last year, another the year before. There's no doubt what one is ahead of the other, didn't even want to put them in the same discussion.

Yeah, fair point. I was not so much comparing them as saying the outcome would be similar for most players.

And yes, Cole Carter was drafted from Jr B but most of know why. He should have been drafted out of Minor Midget and he should have been playing CCHL, not Stittsville. But in the end the right outcome happened.

Hockeydad67

May 3, 2014
Yeah, fair point. I was not so much comparing them as saying the outcome would be similar for most players.

And yes, Cole Carter was drafted from Jr B but most of know why. He should have been drafted out of Minor Midget and he should have been playing CCHL, not Stittsville. But in the end the right outcome happened.

Same ol' same ol'...... if you're good enough, teams and leagues will find you whether its Junior C through Major Junior.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
The schedule is out kind of shocked there is out of division games.

Getting home at 1am on Sunday night, with school the next morning, from Norwood wouldn't exactly make me thing this is an 'educational' league. That's brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->