Cpjhl junior development league

Sharpshooters Parent

Mar 1, 2016
You would think if this league wanted to be scouted then roster would have details of each player such as date of birth, height, weight, which hand they shoot, previous team, etc.. I doubt any scouts will research whole roster of each team before attending.

I agree with you that player info should be listed and it will be

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
They do anyway

Not the guys that I know (not a small number)

Well, no FA camp invites and no signings from the team this far, so even if they have (which again, I doubt), no one seems to move forward.

There's a deference between CHL scouts and prep school/JrA scouts by the way

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Is it worth putting the rosters on? How many teams will exist by the end of October? 11 teams became 9 before the first puck drop, 2 more delayed the season, and most are struggling to ice a full line up. One of Seaforth's big signings ( and 1/2 of local players) left before the season started, and they have 9 skaters on the ice tonight. Muskoka has started both games with less than 12 skaters. Norwood has dressed 11 skaters for both games.

Sharpshooters Parent

Mar 1, 2016
Exciting finish tonight for Almonte Jr in Norwood tied 3-3 late in game and Andy Williamson comes through with game winner, his second of the night. Riley Degray adds the empty netter to make it a 5-3 win

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Exciting finish tonight for Almonte Jr in Norwood tied 3-3 late in game and Andy Williamson comes through with game winner, his second of the night. Riley Degray adds the empty netter to make it a 5-3 win

Looks like the Sharpshooters had 3 full lines + 1 VS Norwood having 11 skaters.....that will be a long season for Norwood if they can't grow their roster...

Sharpshooters Parent

Mar 1, 2016
Looks like the Sharpshooters had 3 full lines + 1 VS Norwood having 11 skaters.....that will be a long season for Norwood if they can't grow their roster...

We play with 4 lines of forwards and 3 lines of defence last night missing 1 player. When checking stats the default page is Active Roster in top middle you can switch to Reserve Roster to see reserve players being called up. We have asked league to merge so all players are on same page. For who actually played if you click on in progress during game or final after game you can see game sheet it is updated as games progress

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
We play with 4 lines of forwards and 3 lines of defence last night missing 1 player. When checking stats the default page is Active Roster in top middle you can switch to Reserve Roster to see reserve players being called up. We have asked league to merge so all players are on same page. For who actually played if you click on in progress during game or final after game you can see game sheet it is updated as games progress

So they kept it tied against you for 2 periods playing with 11 players to your 18?

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015
I think they had 12 or 13 skaters but your right with the talent on our team we need to play better. We were up 3-1 and Norwood came back to tie it. Lots for the coaches to work on at practice this week.

What talent, most of your team is made up of Jr B releases

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
I think they had 12 or 13 skaters but your right with the talent on our team we need to play better. We were up 3-1 and Norwood came back to tie it. Lots for the coaches to work on at practice this week.

The game sheet on the website under the box score lists 10 skaters played in the game on Sunday for Norwood (their roster shows 11 + 3 goalies but one listed skater did not play)....I'v never heard of a team playing with kids not on the game sheet so I have to believe that they played with only 10... I have no knowledge about the level of talent on either team....I'm more interested in the viability of the league and am hoping that people who chose this route do not lose money or end up with no spot for their kid to play....

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
That is not correct we have a few players that played Jr A last year and others who played Jr B and decided this was a better option for them. Have you seen one of our games?

Are you sure you're a parent? Usually parents don't communicate with the league regarding changes to league structure or the background of players on teams....

I coached for years and didn't have a parent this involved with the background of our team and our communications with the league.

Dirtyboy90

Sep 23, 2016
I don't think the level of play is in question here, as they have stated it is just junior hockey. The real question is how long can they continue playing games with only 10 to 11 skaters?

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
I don't think the level of play is in question here, as they have stated it is just junior hockey. The real question is how long can they continue playing games with only 10 to 11 skaters?
That is the biggest issue, over half of the teams don't have a full roster, and a few are playing games with less than 12 skaters.
For those that want to judge the talent, the games are available on live feed.

Sharpshooters Parent

Mar 1, 2016
Are you sure you're a parent? Usually parents don't communicate with the league regarding changes to league structure or the background of players on teams....

I coached for years and didn't have a parent this involved with the background of our team and our communications with the league.[/QUOTE

Yes I am a parent. My son played last year and is playing with the program again this year. I have zero financial or ownership interest whatsoever if that is what you were wondering. Love to have you come watch one of our games Tigers not just the Junior but also the U18AAA or U16AAA. The U16 played two games against Northwood this past weekend in Ottawa and the U18 is in Lake Placid this upcoming weekend to play Northwood and will be hosting them later in Ottawa.

You can check our team schedules at www.ossjr.com

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Yes I am a parent. My son played last year and is playing with the program again this year. I have zero financial or ownership interest whatsoever if that is what you were wondering. Love to have you come watch one of our games Tigers not just the Junior but also the U18AAA or U16AAA. The U16 played two games against Northwood this past weekend in Ottawa and the U18 is in Lake Placid this upcoming weekend to play Northwood and will be hosting them later in Ottawa.

You can check our team schedules at www.ossjr.com

Ill take you for your word, but again, Ive never seen a parent so invovled that wasn't a manager.

That said, my job is to recruit, mentor and develop players who will hopefully become NHL players. Every game I go to is for a purpose. There is no purpose for me to go to an outlaw league game, there's never been a full time NHL player come from one. Plus, I don't agree with the politics of outlaw leagues (although I understand there's a market for it, and thats fine) and attending a game would go against my ethics.

Has anyone heard if the players whose teams folded received their money back? Fingers crossed they have. Angelo talks about checks and balances within the league, lets hope that those included protecting the players of teams that folded.

Sharpshooters Parent

Mar 1, 2016
That said, my job is to recruit, mentor and develop players who will hopefully become NHL players. Every game I go to is for a purpose. There is no purpose for me to go to an outlaw league game, there's never been a full time NHL player come from one. Plus, I don't agree with the politics of outlaw leagues (although I understand there's a market for it, and thats fine) and attending a game would go against my ethics.

Tigers as you know the word "Outlaw" to describe leagues in Canada is a word first used by Hockey Canada in response to competition from other leagues. Hockey Canada is an independent league with no special status given to it by the Government of Canada that I am aware of. To the best of my knowledge it was not created by the Government of Canada. It has just been around longer than other independent leagues and has the largest membership of any independent league in Canada and calls itself Hockey Canada. In 2006 as a result of complaints the Competition Tribunal had received about anti competitive monopoly practices being exerted by HC on other leagues, the Competition Tribunal warned HC that if it did not alter its policies and practices it risked being charged under the Competition Act. Some of the complaints came from members of Parliament.

In response to the warning from the Competition Tribunal, rather than being charged HC changed its policies and that's why players have until September 30 every year to decide where they want to play.

My understanding is that the CHL and most of the prep schools some of whose players eventually make the NHL are not part of Hockey Canada

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Tigers as you know the word "Outlaw" to describe leagues in Canada is a word first used by Hockey Canada in response to competition from other leagues. Hockey Canada is an independent league with no special status given to it by the Government of Canada that I am aware of. To the best of my knowledge it was not created by the Government of Canada. It has just been around longer than other independent leagues and has the largest membership of any independent league in Canada and calls itself Hockey Canada. In 2006 as a result of complaints the Competition Tribunal had received about anti competitive monopoly practices being exerted by HC on other leagues, the Competition Tribunal warned HC that if it did not alter its policies and practices it risked being charged under the Competition Act. Some of the complaints came from members of Parliament.

In response to the warning from the Competition Tribunal, rather than being charged HC changed its policies and that's why players have until September 30 every year to decide where they want to play.

My understanding is that the CHL and most of the prep schools some of whose players eventually make the NHL are not part of Hockey Canada

Ill say it again, most parents only care about ice time and coaches, I've never seen a parent who has this level of interest and knowledge of Hockey Canada and its rules.....

I'm not sure what this has to do with any of my previous statements?? Other than perhaps you where upset with the term outlaw? Ill call it a happy flower and hugs league if that makes you feel better :sarcasm:. Doesn't change what it is. CHL is a partner with Hockey Canada. They are in good standing. Hockey Canada was never created to govern the CHL, it was created to govern everything below it, including 'Junior'.

Ill re-phase since semantics are becoming part of this. No players form leagues that scouts are told explicitly that they are not allowed to go to to have ever played full time in the NHL. Scouts are implicitly told not to attend GMHL, CIHL (RIP) and now the CPJHL, in addition to some unsanctioned summer league events (I saw an email about one this summer). CHL is affiliated with Hockey Canada, scouts are allowed to go to games. Some prep schools (St. Andrews/Ridley) are on the good list, others are not. Its pointless for me to attend a game like that because 1. I won't find a player who can play pro, and 2. CHL scouts are told not to go, I'm not going to step on their toes and 3. I disagree with the business model.

It feels like 2006 going over all of this again :laugh:.

If you want to play in the league, have at it, I don't care either way, but don't pretend that its something its not.

Question, you never really touched on this, but did the parents and players of the teams that folded get their money refunded? (please don't turn this into a semantics thing again, just an honest question from someone who is legitimately concerned for kids not getting value).

Last edited:

Sharpshooters Parent

Mar 1, 2016

Thanks but this is not a grant of special status that makes one league or team or program legal and the other league team or program illegal this is at best a recognition that by virtue of its size it deserves government funding from a fund designed to promote amateur sport. That is why I as a parent of a child playing hockey take exception to organizations and individuals involved in amateur sports and minor hockey getting government funding threatening children or their parents with imaginary sanctions if they choose to play for a non Hockey Canada team program or league.

My understanding from Angelo who informed all of the Sharpshooters players and parents is that the Sharpshooters program asked to join Hockey Canada this year and that Hockey Canada national executive had no problem with it but left it to HEO to decide and HEO said no

Sharpshooters Parent

Mar 1, 2016
Ill say it again, most parents only care about ice time and coaches, I've never seen a parent who has this level of interest and knowledge of Hockey Canada and its rules.

Question, you never really touched on this, but did the parents and players of the teams that folded get their money refunded? (please don't turn this into a semantics thing again, just an honest question from someone who is legitimately concerned for kids not getting value).

As a parent I have made it a point to properly inform myself.

For your question I do not know the answer.

Sharpshooters Parent

Mar 1, 2016
Ill say it again, most parents only care about ice time and coaches, I've never seen a parent who has this level of interest and knowledge of Hockey Canada and its rules.....

I'm not sure what this has to do with any of my previous statements?? Other than perhaps you where upset with the term outlaw? Ill call it a happy flower and hugs league if that makes you feel better :sarcasm:. Doesn't change what it is. CHL is a partner with Hockey Canada. They are in good standing. Hockey Canada was never created to govern the CHL, it was created to govern everything below it, including 'Junior'.

Ill re-phase since semantics are becoming part of this. No players form leagues that scouts are told explicitly that they are not allowed to go to to have ever played full time in the NHL. Scouts are implicitly told not to attend GMHL, CIHL (RIP) and now the CPJHL, in addition to some unsanctioned summer league events (I saw an email about one this summer). CHL is affiliated with Hockey Canada, scouts are allowed to go to games. Some prep schools (St. Andrews/Ridley) are on the good list, others are not. Its pointless for me to attend a game like that because 1. I won't find a player who can play pro, and 2. CHL scouts are told not to go, I'm not going to step on their toes and 3. I disagree with the business model.

It feels like 2006 going over all of this again :laugh:.

If you want to play in the league, have at it, I don't care either way, but don't pretend that its something its not.

The CPJHL is not the only league the Sharpshooters Junior players will be playing in they will also be playing showcase tournaments in the US as part of the NCPHL. The younger Junior players with 98 and 99 birth years will also be playing on occasion with the Sharpshooters U18AAA team against teams like Northwood etc.

Last year the Sharpshooters teams played Stanstead, Kuper Academy, Bishops College, Blyth etc they attended some good showcase tournaments in the US it was a great year and this year looks even better. This past weekend our U16AAA played Northwood here in Ottawa and this weekend our U18AAA team is travelling to Lake Placid to play Northwood

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Thanks but this is not a grant of special status that makes one league or team or program legal and the other league team or program illegal this is at best a recognition that by virtue of its size it deserves government funding from a fund designed to promote amateur sport. That is why I as a parent of a child playing hockey take exception to organizations and individuals involved in amateur sports and minor hockey getting government funding threatening children or their parents with imaginary sanctions if they choose to play for a non Hockey Canada team program or league.

My understanding from Angelo who informed all of the Sharpshooters players and parents is that the Sharpshooters program asked to join Hockey Canada this year and that Hockey Canada national executive had no problem with it but left it to HEO to decide and HEO said no

Only replying to your statement "no special status given to it by Government of Canada", the Government of Canada website says "Hockey Canada is sole governing body for amateur hockey in Canada", seems pretty clear how the government feels. I am not saying it is right or wrong, just providing you with info.

Also, I doubt Hockey Canada would make that statement that they had no problem with it, they would only refer you to the local Branch. They have a hierarchy and they always follow it, I spent many years in minor hockey along with Junior and that has always been the case.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
For your question I do not know the answer.

I would think that question would be more pertinent than whether or not someone is going to go to a game....

Only replying to your statement "no special status given to it by Government of Canada", the Government of Canada website says "Hockey Canada is sole governing body for amateur hockey in Canada", seems pretty clear how the government feels. I am not saying it is right or wrong, just providing you with info.

Also, I doubt Hockey Canada would make that statement that they had no problem with it, they would only refer you to the local Branch. They have a hierarchy and they always follow it, I spent many years in minor hockey along with Junior and that has always been the case.

What he said. I'm American and do not have any knowledge of Hockey Canada, but the certification seems fairly straight forward. You can choose to play within or outside of that jurisdiction, that's well within your rights, but there's no question who manages minor hockey in Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->