Cpjhl junior development league

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Definitely agree that this is not an appropriate way to recruit. Just wanted to make it clear that the Ottawa Sharpshooters/Almonte Jr Sharpshooters hockey program has never and will not ever use Facebook to directly contact players that are under age for the purpose of recruiting. All recruiting is done with the parents being present or having given consent.

Chris from the Sharpshooters

The two players contacted was not by Sharpshooters but it was an Eastern Ontario team. I am wondering how three CPJHL teams east of Ottawa are going to get enough players? Maybe CP will have more locals on their team in CCHL then these teams lol

RJB

Nov 2, 2013
A few questions. What are the approx costs for the season? Will teams accept non-local players and what would the approx billet costs be? Thanks

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
I thought I was following along....My point was there is no Jr program for local kids that have no NCAA or OHL aspirations to play and work for a living anymore....Outlaw league seems like a good option even if it is glorified Jr C as you say...

Yes its called the CCHL 2.....outlaw league is same price to play as CCHL and CCHL 2.....i guess if kids cant make either one of these leagues....then yes a great option. But i doubt Almonte is going to support Jr C calibre hockey.....with non local ownership.....

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
Yes its called the CCHL 2.....outlaw league is same price to play as CCHL and CCHL 2.....i guess if kids cant make either one of these leagues....then yes a great option. But i doubt Almonte is going to support Jr C calibre hockey.....with non local ownership.....[/QUOTE

Not wishing for failure but I would be surprised will be supported in a big way in any of the locales.

Maybe I am naïve but I am not really sure what the goal of the league really is. Wouldn't all of these players that will be playing in this league been recruited by tradition leagues if they were talented enough. Is this league just leveraging the wishful thinking of those involved?

YoYoMa

Sep 2, 2015
This is two points of the CPJHL mission statement off of the website:
To provide Junior aged players with the opportunity to develop the skills required for moving on to the next level of their hockey career.
Q. I'm a little confused as to what the level is as the league is not branded as Jr A,B or C? So what is the next logical level? Is it for example JrB/Tier 3 US or JrA/NAHL(US) or is it USHL/CHL/NCAA?

To provide exposure, and advance players, even if that means they move on mid-season.
Q. Being an outlaw league how can you possibly move mid season to any HC team... You can't. Not sure about US sanctioned hockey like the NA or USHL, but it seems the league is geared towards moving players south of the border - if US hockey will accept them. Between seasons, that seems to be a different story but that circles back to my first Q.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
To provide Junior aged players with the opportunity to develop the skills required for moving on to the next level of their hockey career.
Q. I'm a little confused as to what the level is as the league is not branded as Jr A,B or C? So what is the next logical level? Is it for example JrB/Tier 3 US or JrA/NAHL(US) or is it USHL/CHL/NCAA?

That's always been my question as well. Looking at the history of outlaw leagues, those who do mobe forward generally end up being D3 skaters, which in itself is fine, but I don't think that there's a high level of D3 college coaches combing outlaw league for players, most of the time its networking of the player/father/rep and the coaches, which could happen regardless of where you are playing.

I also do agree with the wording, its interesting they say that they are happy to move players up mid season, im sure they would be, but its not going to happen given their status within Hockey Canada.

As long as everyone is open and honest about what they are, what their purpose is and what the long term goals are, then no issues at all with outlaw leagues, they obviously have a marketplace, but lets just make sure people know and understand what they are getting into when they sign up, there is no mid season moving up to Jr B or Jr A after signing.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
That's always been my question as well. Looking at the history of outlaw leagues, those who do mobe forward generally end up being D3 skaters, which in itself is fine, but I don't think that there's a high level of D3 college coaches combing outlaw league for players, most of the time its networking of the player/father/rep and the coaches, which could happen regardless of where you are playing.

I also do agree with the wording, its interesting they say that they are happy to move players up mid season, im sure they would be, but its not going to happen given their status within Hockey Canada.

As long as everyone is open and honest about what they are, what their purpose is and what the long term goals are, then no issues at all with outlaw leagues, they obviously have a marketplace, but lets just make sure people know and understand what they are getting into when they sign up, there is no mid season moving up to Jr B or Jr A after signing.

Minor Hockey and Junior Hockey are now both "for profit" businesses. No one should be surprised when there is competition for the customers dollars.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015

They did originally call it Junior A but VERY VERY quickly changed their tune..... I hope the league gives people what they are looking for, and I hope no one loses their money or are disappointed if the season fails as has happened with similar ventures in the past. I just don't know how much local hockey can be supported....we have in Ottawa for example, NHL. OHL, CCHL1, CCHL2 and U18 and then local minor hockey. I can't imagine anyone other that people who know or are related to the players supporting these teams in Ottawa and the surrounding area. Maybe towns like Norwood will, but past examples of similar leagues show they aren't likely to....

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
They did originally call it Junior A but VERY VERY quickly changed their tune..... I hope the league gives people what they are looking for, and I hope no one loses their money or are disappointed if the season fails as has happened with similar ventures in the past. I just don't know how much local hockey can be supported....we have in Ottawa for example, NHL. OHL, CCHL1, CCHL2 and U18 and then local minor hockey. I can't imagine anyone other that people who know or are related to the players supporting these teams in Ottawa and the surrounding area. Maybe towns like Norwood will, but past examples of similar leagues show they aren't likely to....

My issue is we do not have enough good players for the all ready to many JR A,B,C teams we have now.
Do we really need another league?
What if players leave U 18 to play Jr hockey in this out law league?
This area is a hockey mess and it is because of the leadership, HEO,HEO Minor and is some cases AAA associations and AA, A and B.
This area needs to clean it's house.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
My issue is we do not have enough good players for the all ready to many JR A,B,C teams we have now.
This area is a hockey mess and it is because of the leadership, HEO,HEO Minor and is some cases AAA associations and AA, A and B.
This area needs to clean it's house.

I agree, this is the last thing we need...there are already plenty of options...we don't need any more to muddy the waters. I can't help but think its just one more way the keep "selling the dream".

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013
Development?
Are you joking. Development of who certainly not locals (HEO players). Winning is not development.
Winning is about winning and it does breed a great culture but winning does not develop players playing good hockey helps them get better so they can move to the next best level for them.

Yes, I was joking - that's why I used quotation marks; closest thing to sarcasm I can thing of.

"My issue is we do not have enough good players for the all ready to many JR A,B,C teams we have now.
This area needs to clean it's house. "

Normally, I agree with many things nothappy says, but on this one defs not. Why are we concerned about u18? My opinion is the more towns with Friday-night games the better. The CCHL helped turn the sport into a marketplace, why should they get a monopoly?

Technical note: How do you quote two separate posts?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Yes, I was joking - that's why I used quotation marks; closest thing to sarcasm I can thing of.

"My issue is we do not have enough good players for the all ready to many JR A,B,C teams we have now.
This area needs to clean it's house. "

Normally, I agree with many things nothappy says, but on this one defs not. Why are we concerned about u18? My opinion is the more towns with Friday-night games the better. The CCHL helped turn the sport into a marketplace, why should they get a monopoly?

Technical note: How do you quote two separate posts?

Hi,
I want U18 to fail. What I do not want is another league of poor hockey(U 18) that will further dilute the talent pool we have.
If we have to many teams and not enough skill, talent that talent will not improve and move up to the level they could or should get to.
Let's be clear very few players play hockey for a living or use their hockey talent to get an education. We need to set the HEO area up so that the talented players stay together in there age group and at the correct level for their skill level then there chances of improving get better. To improve players need to be challenged, pushed by teammates and opposition and play enough(at the correct level) this should give them the confidence to try new things and excel.
Nothing is perfect but the old AAA system has proved it was and is better than the old AA and anything that is going on now.

Last edited:

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
Hi,
I want U18 to fail. What I do not want is another league of poor hockey(U 18) that will further dilute the talent pool we have.
If we have to many teams and not enough skill, talent that talent will not improve and move up to the level they could or should get to.
Let's be clear very few players play hockey for a living or use their hockey talent to get an education. We need to set the HEO area up so that the talented players stay together in there age group and at the correct level for their skill level then there chances of improving get better. To improve players need to be challenged, pushed by teammates and opposition and play enough(at the correct level) this should give them the confidence to try new things and excel.
Nothing is perfect but the old AAA system has proved it was and is better than the old AA and anything that is going on now.

Yup. Old AA.....system was perfect mmore than 5 teams...

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Sidekick
This area is not in a mess I think some read far to much into things now does that means everything is perfect no but you can say the same about the Gta or Montreal.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Hockey in Ontraio
OJHL Jr A 22 teams
Jr B 27 teams
Jr C 63 teams
NOJHL JR A 12 teams
Total 104 +7(New Outlaw league) =111
HEO
Jr A 12
Jr B 16
Jr C 9
Total 37+4(New Outlaw league) = 41
Total number of Jr teams in Ontario 111+41+=152
HEO has about 27% of all Jr teams in Ontario. Some people think HEO is not a mess, please think again. WE do not have a large enough playing population base to support this many Jr teams.

highwayman

Aug 4, 2015
Hockey in Ontraio
OJHL Jr A 22 teams
Jr B 27 teams
Jr C 63 teams
NOJHL JR A 12 teams
Total 104 +7(New Outlaw league) =111
HEO
Jr A 12
Jr B 16
Jr C 9
Total 37+4(New Outlaw league) = 41
Total number of Jr teams in Ontario 111+41+=152
HEO has about 27% of all Jr teams in Ontario. Some people think HEO is not a mess, please think again. WE do not have a large enough playing population base to support this many Jr teams.

Nothappy, here are the number of teams playing in Ontario based junior leagues.

OHA OJHL Junior A - 22
OHA GOJHL Junior B - 26
OHA PJHL Junior C - 64

NOHA NOJHL Junior A - 12

HNO SIJHL Junior A - 5
HNO LJHL Junior B - 4

Independent - GMJHL - 28

Independent - CPJHL - 7 (excludes teams based in HEO territory)

HEO CCHL 1 Junior A - 12
HEO CCHL 2 Junior B - 16
HEO NCJHL Junior C - 9
Independent - CPJHL - 4

Total # of teams in all Ontario based leagues - 209

HEO based teams - 41

Totals include teams based outside Ontario.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Nothappy, here are the number of teams playing in Ontario based junior leagues.

OHA OJHL Junior A - 22
OHA GOJHL Junior B - 26
OHA PJHL Junior C - 64

NOHA NOJHL Junior A - 12

HNO SIJHL Junior A - 5
HNO LJHL Junior B - 4

Independent - GMJHL - 28

Independent - CPJHL - 7 (excludes teams based in HEO territory)

HEO CCHL 1 Junior A - 12
HEO CCHL 2 Junior B - 16
HEO NCJHL Junior C - 9
Independent - CPJHL - 4

Total # of teams in all Ontario based leagues - 209

HEO based teams - 41

Totals include teams based outside Ontario.

Sorry forgot HNO.
Math not good ether.
What and were is GMJHL?
I cannot find website.

My point was we have to many Jr Teams in HEO and not enough players.

Thanks

highwayman

Aug 4, 2015
Sorry forgot HNO.
Math not good ether.
What and were is GMJHL?
I cannot find website.

Thanks

Greater Metro Junior A - an outlaw league that has been in existence for about 10 years, much to the dismay of the hockey establishment who were boasting they would be gone within 2 years.

www.gmhl.net

You are quite correct that HEO has too many junior teams with a registration base of roughly 25,000 with the majority of our players being in the house league system.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Greater Metro Junior A - an outlaw league that has been in existence for about 10 years, much to the dismay of the hockey establishment who were boasting they would be gone within 2 years.

www.gmhl.net

You are quite correct that HEO has too many junior teams with a registration base of roughly 25,000 with the majority of our players being in the house league system.

What if we change the way we think about Jr Hockey. Does it have to be about development and be only the best players ?

I would never let my kid play and pay to play in these leagues, but if someone wants to then who are we to stop them.

And yes, I know a kid who played one year of Rep B and the rest house league and he got in some games with a NOJHL (Jr A) team. No he was not a late bloomer, he was not very good but again, who are we to stop him.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
What if we change the way we think about Jr Hockey. Does it have to be about development and be only the best players ?

I would never let my kid play and pay to play in these leagues, but if someone wants to then who are we to stop them.

And yes, I know a kid who played one year of Rep B and the rest house league and he got in some games with a NOJHL (Jr A) team. No he was not a late bloomer, he was not very good but again, who are we to stop him.

What I would like to see happen is Minor stay minor and out of the control of Jr hockey.
Play minor till the end of your 17th year then fill your boots.

The elite 16 and 17 should never be stopped from moving up provided they play.
There should be system in place to ensure this happens

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
What I would like to see happen is Minor stay minor and out of the control of Jr hockey.
Play minor till the end of your 17th year then fill your boots.

The elite 16 and 17 should never be stopped from moving up provided they play.
There should be system in place to ensure this happens

No argument from me on that one.

And if 18-21 year old's want to spend their University/College tuition on high end beer league hockey, why not let them.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Sorry forgot HNO.
Math not good ether.
What and were is GMJHL?
I cannot find website.

Thanks

And to add this discussion, how many is too many ??

Keep in mind that their are over 500 AC(don't call me CLUB)HA teams in existence.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
No argument from me on that one.

And if 18-21 year old's want to spend their University/College tuition on high end beer league hockey, why not let them.

Beer league just had 2 kids drafted into NHL....not bad for a beer league.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad