Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Trade Stepan to Ottawa for 2021 2nd Round Pick [from CBJ]

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
So for the 2021 draft we have two 2nd round picks and get to keep our 3rd for not advancing to the semifinals or re-signing Hall. Is that accurate?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So for the 2021 draft we have two 2nd round picks and get to keep our 3rd for not advancing to the semifinals or re-signing Hall. Is that accurate?
We lost our 3rd to Jersey for Hall. It wasn't upgraded to a second because we didn't advance nor did we re-sign Hall.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As a draft geek i appreciate having something to look forward to at the draft. I think they will make another move on D before we start the season. Demers most likely but maybe an OEL move.
Would love to see OEL to Boston revisited. They still haven’t replaced Krug or Chara, right? And now they’ve run out of options to do so. We may have more leverage now.

Also, with who OEL likely sees as the #1 center on the team (certainly the top shift getter), and not replaced by anyone at all, he’s got to be thinking the rebuild is coming and will be ugly. Could see OEL even more welcoming of a trade now than he was back in the summer.

Reactions: SpaceCoyote

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Who cares. BA knows exactly what type of player he is on and off the ice. In my opinion this speaks volumes of the character of Stepan. If OEL stays, I expect him to have a stellar year. I suspected a bit of a rift between the two.
This trade was a belated Christmas present for you @Jakey53 I know how much you'll miss Step, but guessing you'll get over it.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Securing a guaranteed 2nd now is worth something extra. There’s no certainty that he’d return anything at all at the TDL. He could struggle or be injured.

Another aspect of getting a 2nd now is we have no clue where that 2nd ends up. What if Columbus is stricken with injuries, or their goaltending isn't as strong as it was last year. They are in one of the stronger divisions which could eat itself alive. Picks have a much more concrete value around the TDL, I like that this one has a little extra lotto value right now.

I think Stepan will bounce back, I think there's a chance Ottawa can get more than a mid to late 2nd by the deadline for him if they want to move on. They may need to take more deadweight back to do so. I'd rather have the extra cap space now and for the expansion draft. Taking away RTs drinking pal for a full season is just the chefs kiss of this trade though.

Reactions: Mosby and MIGs Dog

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Would love to see OEL to Boston revisited. They still haven’t replaced Krug or Chara, right? And now they’ve run out of options to do so. We may have more leverage now.

Also, with who OEL likely sees as the #1 center on the team (certainly the top shift getter), and not replaced by anyone at all, he’s got to be thinking the rebuild is coming and will be ugly. Could see OEL even more welcoming of a trad.e now than he was back in the summer.
Maybe in-season when Boston is more desperate and we're obviously more focused on the future.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

Also, with who OEL likely sees as the #1 center on the team (certainly the top shift getter), and not replaced by anyone at all, he’s got to be thinking the rebuild is coming and will be ugly. Could see OEL even more welcoming of a trade now than he was back in the summer.
I don't see an OEL trade happening now. I don't think he wants to move in a rush. He sounds quite happy living in AZ. I think it has to be an off season move.

I also see this move signalling that mgmt believes Hayton is ready to be a full time player. Whether we rebuild or retool really depends on how he does.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Maybe in-season when Boston is more desperate and we're obviously more focused on the future.
I could see a package involving Matt Gryzelcyk, Ondrej Kase, and futures for OEL. The B’s haven’t been thrilled with Kase and his injury history and contract status make him a complete wild card. They just gave Gryzelcyk a four year deal, but they may not love the contract. And he’s not a Krug and Chara replacement like OEL could be. Boston has all their picks in the next two drafts and some intriguing prospects.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I could see a package involving Matt Gryzelcyk, Ondrej Kase, and futures for OEL. The B’s haven’t been thrilled with Kase and his injury history and contract status make him a complete wild card. They just gave Gryzelcyk a four year deal, but they may not love the contract. And he’s not a Krug and Chara replacement like OEL could be. Boston has all their picks in the next two drafts and some intriguing prospects.
But Gryzelcyk is small, doesn't seem like the type of player Dman GMBA would target. Ideally OEL has a great start to the season (which hasn't happened in many years), Boston sees the value and maybe don't why to pay Carlo's RFA deal next season and that's the groundwork for a deal.

If OEL is traded a top 4 Dman needs to come back. Carlo would be perfect, I'm probably dreaming, but hey.....

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’ll agree if they actually use the space. If it just sits there unused all season, there isn’t a whole lot to celebrate, here.
It opens up a roster spot for a USEFUL player. That alone is reason to celebrate.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
As a draft geek i appreciate having something to look forward to at the draft. I think they will make another move on D before we start the season. Demers most likely but maybe an OEL move.
I also think they will make a move on D before the season starts, but I think OEL is traded at TTD, after he has a good year. I'm betting he has a better year not having to worry about Stepan.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
RE: Lack of salary retention.

Read last night, according to Cap Friendly, Stepan's contract only costs $2 million in real dollars against a $6.5 million cap hit (I'm going to assume he got a big bonus from us already). So he's actually really cheap enough for a team not to want retention on top.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
overdue move, but happy it got done. Move OEL and (another long overdue move), and I'll be a pretty happy camper.

We will need to fill some holes, but those should work out in the end somehow (whether via trade, FA, or waiver claims at some point)

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The Coyotes are likely to have much lower standards.
That’s fair, just based on what I saw last year though I’d be surprised if he centered again. I do like him as a third line winger and for that reason I hope we bring him back. Also he was big for Anthony Beauviller development so if you guys have any young French players he’s a good role model

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This trade signals to me that they like Schmaltz at center, and probably see Jenik as an NHL center too.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
BA could have gotten a 2nd at the deadline all day for Stepan, provided he was healthy. So this is basically just telling Derek to get the f*** out now. We don't even want you for a game this season.

I love it. Goligoski next if there's any takers.
Trading him after his bonus was already paid is pretty damning. I'd really like to hear the behind the scenes reasoning for it. I bet his country club, Bud Light sipping attitude was a part of it.

With Soderstroms play at the WJs, although its only one game, I'd be in support of trading Goose for a 2nd before the season starts.

It would give Chychrun a larger voice in the room. The young forwards are quiet but they seem like hockey nerds who really want to be better. I'd much rather have that over loud guys who don't care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad