Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Trade Stepan to Ottawa for 2021 2nd Round Pick [from CBJ]

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I like the idea of recouping assets via trading Stepan if we're going to just say f*** it and do rebuild 7.028938403 whatever number it is now rather than wait for next offseason's contract expirations as some have speculated.

Problem is I don't think Stepan is worth all that much at the moment. But his value on ice has diminished to the point where I'm not sure trading him would actually hurt the team all that much either provided we got a center either in the deal or elsewhere that can munch some minutes. Dvorak will have to log more minutes, he should be able to.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I fail to see how this deal could happen right now unless Anisimov is included from a Sens POV considering we have Tierney, White, Norris, L.Brown, Anisimov and then some other 4th line Cs like Chlapik, Shaw and Beaudin. Stutzle might get some reps at C as well.

Tkachuk - C. White - Batherson
Stutzle - Norris/L.Brown - Dadonov
Galchenyuk - Tierney - C. Brown
Paul - Anisimov - Watson
Formenton
Chlapik
Abramov

Not against the idea, we have a lot of younger players this year so having defensively responsible guys is always handy. Just not sure what would be the cost.

Edit: Just realized Stepan has only 2M in real salary this year. I could definitely see this happening depending on the cost..

What would be needed?

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The best thing you can say about DP at this point in his career is that he's durable. But his production has dropped to the point where it's hard to imagine we would be worse without him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like the idea of recouping assets via trading Stepan if we're going to just say f*** it and do rebuild 7.028938403 whatever number it is now rather than wait for next offseason's contract expirations as some have speculated.

Problem is I don't think Stepan is worth all that much at the moment. But his value on ice has diminished to the point where I'm not sure trading him would actually hurt the team all that much either provided we got a center either in the deal or elsewhere that can munch some minutes. Dvorak will have to log more minutes, he should be able to.

We won't be recouping assets with this scenario, rather we will be adding assets to get rid of Stepan. Ottawa needs to get to the cap floor, and this gives us more flexibility.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I fail to see how this deal could happen right now unless Anisimov is included from a Sens POV considering we have Tierney, White, Norris, L.Brown, Anisimov and then some other 4th line Cs like Chlapik, Shaw and Beaudin. Stutzle might get some reps at C as well.

Tkachuk - C. White - Batherson
Stutzle - Norris/L.Brown - Dadonov
Galchenyuk - Tierney - C. Brown
Paul - Anisimov - Watson
Formenton
Chlapik
Abramov

Not against the idea, we have a lot of younger players this year so having defensively responsible guys is always handy. Just not sure what would be the cost.

Edit: Just realized Stepan has only 2M in real salary this year. I could definitely see this happening depending on the cost..

What would be needed?
The Yotes are tight against the cap, so I don't think we want salary back. You guys might even get another asset in such deal.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If true it will be for a pick or B prospect and likely a minor salary dump to improve the pick (ie worst of the 2nd rounders). Ideally we somehow end up with Logan Brown but that would take a jedi mind trick.

Reactions: hn777

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They're at 68 million.

Why on earth would Ottawa do that.
Stepan is still a good 200 foot 2/3 Right shooting C. Ottawa with their current roster are poised to finish dead last in the Canadian division. They obviously are looking to change that. Don’t underestimate the pressure to make a statement under the fishbowl that will be the canadian division this year. They lose 8 of 10 to the Leafs or Habs and heads will roll.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Stepan is still a good 200 foot 2/3 Right shooting C. Ottawa with their current roster are poised to finish dead last in the Canadian division. They obviously are looking to change that. Don’t underestimate the pressure to make a statement under the fishbowl that will be the canadian division this year. They lose 8 of 10 to the Leafs or Habs and heads will roll.
They have too many forwards already and have Tierney who is basically Stepan. They aren't trading a top end prospect for him.

CapFriendly say 55 million. Projection cap hit says 68. I'm I reading it wrong?
Its says 68 million including ltir. 55 is the real salary.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What part of B prospect did you not understand?
I still don't see why they would do that he would directly block Norris or Brown. They have one center spot open. It doesn't make sense, Shawn Simpson is a hot take machine that literally makes things up for hits. Calls it a joke when people call him out on his takes.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They have too many forwards already and have Tierney who is basically Stepan. They aren't trading a top end prospect for him.

Its says 68 million including ltir. 55 is the real salary.
Got it. Thanks.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I still don't see why they would do that he would directly block Norris or Brown. They have one center spot open. It doesn't make sense, Shawn Simpson is a hot take machine that literally makes things up for hits. Calls it a joke when people call him out on his takes.
So u just want to bitch about a rumour on the Coyotes board made up by a non coyotes source. Makes sense.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Even if nothing comes of this it tells me Armstrong is still looking to shake up the top six and that makes me happy.
That was our problem last year. Stepan is not a top six player, but our brilliant coach kept on giving him top 3 minutes. If BA can get rid of Stepan he is the GM of the year before the season even starts.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad