Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Trade Stepan to Ottawa for 2021 2nd Round Pick [from CBJ]

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This trade signals to me that they like Schmaltz at center, and probably see Jenik as an NHL center too.
What it signals to me is what they think of Stepan as a person, not the player. Look, we were crap at C before this trade, but Stepan would have been useful this year as a 3C if used there, especially after we paid his bonus and we lost two other centers from last year. I also don't think Schmaltz will become a full time C and Jenik is a couple of years away.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Personally I think this means more for Hayton than Jenik.
I believe you are correct, but Hayton better show more than what he has. His time is now, and he really couldn't ask for a better situation. Right now I'm not very high on Hayton, but I'm willing to eat crow if he proves me wrong, and man do I hope he does.

Reactions: AZhockey1991

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I am a fan of Schmaltz. I don’t love him at center, but he can fill in there in the case of injuries. But I am a big fan of him on the wing. I think he is a very solid top 6 winger
Schmaltz is very frustrating. He could be so much better if he went to the net. He was invisible at times last year, but he was coming off a bad injury so I will give him a bit of slack, but not much.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Our center position at the moment.

Dvorak
Schmaltz
Hayton
Caggiula
Hayden
Pitlick
Larsson
Gauthier (PTO)
Non-sense. Larsson is an actual center. The only legit center ahead of him is Dvorak. Pitlick, Caggiula, and Hayden are not centers. I don’t think any of them took more than 20 face offs last year. I know Pitlick didnt, I watch most Flyers games.

Schmaltz maybe, but he’s not very good at the center position. And I say that as a big fan of his offensive creativity.

Hayton maybe, but only if you count his junior credentials. I don’t. He hasn’t shown me anything at the professional level. I think he’s a bust personally, and would absolutely trade him while he has value. And before hbk comes in and says “watch his world juniors”. I did. They were impressive. I was excited. Still looks awful at the nhl level.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yeah unless there's another big trade for a center he needed the cap space for, I agree with those of you that think this was more about removing Stepan than adding a draft pick or making room for anyone currently on the roster. Who knows, I could be wrong and they are going to plug Hayton into that #2 spot and let him sink or swim. That seems to be the best option without a trade. He certainly can use the experience. Only problem is if he sucks, that's another waisted pick with underwhelming trade value. He probably has way more value on the market right now because of potential and the whole team Canada captain thing than what he's shown at the NHL level.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Non-sense. Larsson is an actual center. The only legit center ahead of him is Dvorak. Pitlick, Caggiula, and Hayden are not centers. I don’t think any of them took more than 20 face offs last year. I know Pitlick didnt, I watch most Flyers games.

Schmaltz maybe, but he’s not very good at the center position. And I say that as a big fan of his offensive creativity.

Hayton maybe, but only if you count his junior credentials. I don’t. He hasn’t shown me anything at the professional level. I think he’s a bust personally, and would absolutely trade him while he has value. And before hbk comes in and says “watch his world juniors”. I did. They were impressive. I was excited. Still looks awful at the nhl level.

I should have noted the list wasn’t in any particular order. ;)

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Removing Stepan forces RT to play Dvo on top line PP where he has an opportunity to get better in that role. It also prevents RT from playing Stepan the most. We no longer have to look at Stepan leading the team in TOI. It’s now someone else’s job.

The 2nd rounder is just a bonus.

Reactions: Yandover

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Caggiula played some center in Edmonton.

“I played wing in college for four years and whenever you play a natural position it allows you to do the things you are capable of doing and to stay within your own game. Playing wing all season helped me,” Caggiula said honestly. One of the keys of coaching is to put players in the best position to succeed. The fact the Oilers had to try him as a third line centre in 2016/2017 illustrated how much they lacked depth. If he has to play there the odd game, sure, but they would be better off finding a 13th or 14th forward who is a natural centre, so if an injury occurs to Ryan Strome or Jujhar Khaira, they have another bottom-six centre ready to slot in.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Scream at the NHL app then. :P
Problem is that most forwards good enough to play in the NHL were centers as amateurs or minor pros. NHL site just never updates how they’re listed from their draft years. But if you look at the number of faceoffs they’ve taken per minute played, it’s Paul Bissonnette levels.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017

Thinking Hayton is a bust already is so bizarre to me. First year in the NHL and it was a season interrupted by Covid. This isn’t football... prospects take a few years to develop.

I just really don’t understand writing prospects off that quickly. You do not have realistic expectations.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Thinking Hayton is a bust already is so bizarre to me. First year in the NHL and it was a season interrupted by Covid. This isn’t football... prospects take a few years to develop.

I just really don’t understand writing prospects off that quickly. You do not have realistic expectations.
There is no way you can call Hayton a bust, yet. If he doesn't make the team this year as a C, and do fairly well, I think we will have to lower our expectations of him even lower. This is the perfect situation for him and the Yotes. It's up to Hayton and our dim witted coach to make it happen.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio

First year in the NHL as a 5th overall pick and cant get regular playing time is absolutely not normal. I’m not saying he has to be a world beater. Just secure a position. Think what you want of my expectations, I really don’t care. But he has shown nothing so far.

Reactions: Yandover

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
And to be clear, I’m not saying first year after drafted. Just, first year that management decides you’re ready.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
First year in the NHL as a 5th overall pick and cant get regular playing time is absolutely not normal. I’m not saying he has to be a world beater. Just secure a position. Think what you want of my expectations, I really don’t care. But he has shown nothing so far.
Alright so Soderstrom has to be an NHL defenseman this year or he is a bust. Got it.

Reactions: hbk and Heldig

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Don’t see the point of tanking with no 1st round pick?

Ergo, the plan BA has must be something else.

Sadly, this most likely is just AM telling BA to cut salary for spending sake, in which case no one should be celebrating this. You can say it's related to his feelings towards Stepan as a person/player but what about the OEL, Hammer, or Kuemper trading block rumors this summer? Does he hate them as well? Hope I'm wrong and we put the cap to good use. Otherwise we just closed our window for budget reasons.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
And to be clear, I’m not saying first year after drafted. Just, first year that management decides you’re ready.
Not every player is ready when management decides to put them in the lineup.

The logic of him being a bust already suggests he will not improve with this playing time.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Sadly, this most likely is just AM telling BA to cut salary for spending sake, in which case no one should be celebrating this. You can say it's related to his feelings towards Stepan as a person/player but what about the OEL, Hammer, or Kuemper trading block rumors this summer? Does he hate them as well? Hope I'm wrong and we put the cap to good use. Otherwise we just closed our window for budget reasons.

I think Chayka trying to prematurely force the “window” that wasn’t quite open yet is the biggest killer. Too many longer term assets traded away for shorter term assets that didn’t open that window. Sadly, I think at this point it’s going to take some time and shrewd decisions to recover and open up a contention window for the Yotes going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad