Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Trade Stepan to Ottawa for 2021 2nd Round Pick [from CBJ]

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The trade also creates space under the salary cap, which the Coyotes sought to do. They signed forward Drake Caggiula earlier this week, and Armstrong indicated the team isn't done adding players before the start of training camp next weekend.

"That's where it helps in some ways," Armstrong said. "But there's still some more pieces to add for us. We're still looking and we're trying to every day make our club better.

"With the upcoming season starting, there's still some players out there and there's still some work to be done."

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Good return and opens up opportunities for some one else. Even if we don't add, the option for something small exists later on in the season if we're close to say the 4th seed. It just can't be on the scale of picking up Hall was.

Reactions: Jakey53 and hbk

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
The trade also creates space under the salary cap, which the Coyotes sought to do. They signed forward Drake Caggiula earlier this week, and Armstrong indicated the team isn't done adding players before the start of training camp next weekend.

"That's where it helps in some ways," Armstrong said. "But there's still some more pieces to add for us. We're still looking and we're trying to every day make our club better.

"With the upcoming season starting, there's still some players out there and there's still some work to be done."

Bases off of his quotes from the article @rt posted here, we may see another signing or two this week.

Out of the remaining FA’s, the only ones that interest me are Athanasiou, Vatanen, and Brassard.

Reactions: zerekstar

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Alright so Soderstrom has to be an NHL defenseman this year or he is a bust. Got it.
What will you say if Hayton can't win a regular spot on the Yotes this season? Some of the problem is RT in that he would never play him. It's hard enough to crack an NHL roster, even harder as a C, but Hayton looked lost out there. Everything happens much faster in the NHL and he has to get use to that and that comes from experience. I have been guilty by being impatient with Hayton probably more than most, and in reality it's not justified. Now, that could all change if Hayton can't crack our line up this year. It's a situation made in heaven for him with our lack of C strength, we just need our dim witted coach to play him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think Chayka trying to prematurely force the “window” that wasn’t quite open yet is the biggest killer. Too many longer term assets traded away for shorter term assets that didn’t open that window. Sadly, I think at this point it’s going to take some time and shrewd decisions to recover and open up a contention window for the Yotes going forward.
BA said he had a five year plan. I think it will be faster than that. All we need is a couple of good trades and we may be alright. Easier said than done though. You hit the nail on the head about Chayka.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sadly, this most likely is just AM telling BA to cut salary for spending sake, in which case no one should be celebrating this. You can say it's related to his feelings towards Stepan as a person/player but what about the OEL, Hammer, or Kuemper trading block rumors this summer? Does he hate them as well? Hope I'm wrong and we put the cap to good use. Otherwise we just closed our window for budget reasons.
Most teams need to lower payroll because lack of revenue. If TGO can be traded so can anyone else, especially on the Coyotes roster. We have won nothing. Every single player should be available at the right price. FYI, I have not stopped celebrating this trade since it happened. Unfortunately, it was a year too late.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not everyone selected in the #5 spot are going to progress and develop in the same exact way. Some take longer than others. Every player is unique. Stop looking at the draft position and start evaluating the player is what I am saying.
Also, every situation is different.

Reactions: AZhockey1991

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bases off of his quotes from the article @rt posted here, we may see another signing or two this week.

Out of the remaining FA’s, the only ones that interest me are Athanasiou, Vatanen, and Brassard.
Of those three only Vatanen interests me. We may also get those pieces in a trade.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm guessing Bill is looking at more energy guys. I don't think Brassard or AA are very interesting to him.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I am a fan of Schmaltz. I don’t love him at center, but he can fill in there in the case of injuries. But I am a big fan of him on the wing. I think he is a very solid top 6 winger

When he tries, he's electric.

The trick is getting him to try.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
First year in the NHL as a 5th overall pick and cant get regular playing time is absolutely not normal. I’m not saying he has to be a world beater. Just secure a position. Think what you want of my expectations, I really don’t care. But he has shown nothing so far.

I'm old enough to remember Shane Doan's first couple of seasons at the NHL level, so I'm content to give Hayton a season or two more before I call him a bust.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm old enough to remember Shane Doan's first couple of seasons at the NHL level, so I'm content to give Hayton a season or two more before I call him a bust.
True, but you are cherry picking here. Let's see how he does this year. I'm not happy with him so far, but he really does need more time, and a better coach. Cracking a NHL roster is tough.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
BA could have gotten a 2nd at the deadline all day for Stepan, provided he was healthy. So this is basically just telling Derek to get the f*** out now. We don't even want you for a game this season.

I love it. Goligoski next if there's any takers.

Way to harsh IMHO. I fear I will miss Stepan on the PK. I hope I'm wrong of course, and as you know, a good thing is I'm wrong a lot.

But I think if it hadn't been for the cap-situation, and also the need to free up a roster-spot in general, GMBA wouldn't have traded Stepan for this now. He would have kept on to him, hoping for a really good contract-year. Stepan may be a very good investment for Ottawa. If he understands he can land 30 more millions or something with a good year now, he can land them a great deal at the deadline.

Reactions: SpaceCoyote

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Hayton maybe, but only if you count his junior credentials. I don’t. He hasn’t shown me anything at the professional level. I think he’s a bust personally, and would absolutely trade him while he has value. And before hbk comes in and says “watch his world juniors”. I did. They were impressive. I was excited. Still looks awful at the nhl level.

Yeah, Hayton hasn't impressed me either, to be honest. But I sure hope this is just related to the history of a certain former 3OA.

I think it's to early to give up. Even if there is no wow-factor in Hayton, so far.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Way to harsh IMHO. I fear I will miss Stepan on the PK. I hope I'm wrong of course, and as you know, a good thing is I'm wrong a lot.

But I think if it hadn't been for the cap-situation, and also the need to free up a roster-spot in general, GMBA wouldn't have traded Stepan for this now. He would have kept on to him, hoping for a really good contract-year. Stepan may be a very good investment for Ottawa. If he understands he can land 30 more millions or something with a good year now, he can land them a great deal at the deadline.
The cap situation certainly played a part....but there were other ways to get around the cap ceiling (see Tampa Bay).

I agree that Stepan is a useful player, however, a major driver IMO was the need to change the soft and apathetic Chayka-created culture. GMBA has made that crystal clear with every move he's made thus far. Stepan at times looked like he was in early retirement, happy to just be here, cashing a big paycheck and too accepting of losing.

When I heard this JJ Watt interview last night it made me think of the Coyotes and Stepan.

Frustrated J.J. Watt unleashes postgame tirade after Houston Texans' loss to Cincinnati Bengals

Last edited:
Reactions: KG

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm guessing Bill is looking at more energy guys. I don't think Brassard or AA are very interesting to him.
I disagree. I don’t BA is looking at energy guys. He already did that. This team has no reliable skill, no scoring talent, and no hope on the PP with the weapons they currently have. They desperately need offensive talent. I think AA and Vatanen are exactly the kind of guys they should be looking to add.

AA is a bit of a one-trick-pony, brain-dead, puck-hog, but at least he can score. Can’t really say that for the rest of our team.

rt

May 13, 2004
The cap situation certainly played a part....but there were other ways to get around the cap ceiling (see Tampa Bay).

I agree that Stepan is a useful player, however, a major driver IMO was the need to change the soft and apathetic Chayka-created culture. GMBA has made that crystal clear with every move he's made thus far. Stepan at times looked like he was in early retirement, happy to just be here, cashing a big paycheck and too accepting of losing.

When I heard this JJ Watt interview last night it made me think of the Coyotes and Stepan.

Frustrated J.J. Watt unleashes postgame tirade after Houston Texans' loss to Cincinnati Bengals
That JJW video is awesome and exactly what is missing from this trash team Chayka built. Go watch the final press conference after Colorado eliminated us. Watch how OEL and Stepan and Hjalmarsson conduct themselves. It’s pathetic.

Reactions: KG and Yandover

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Just to quickly comment on the Hayton at 5th overall expectations:

Here is a list of players selected at 5th overall and what year they had a decent year or breakout year after that. OF course, decent is subjective but I tried to make it fair.

Blake Wheeler: Drafted 04, First decent year 08-09, True breakout year 11-12
Brayden Schenn: Drafted 09, First decent year 2012-13
Kessel: Drafted 06, First good year 07-08, Broke out the year after (He was quicker to breakout obviously)
Niederreiter: Drafted 2010, First decent year 2013-14.
Elias Lindholm: Drafted 2013, First decent year 2014-15, Steady increase after that.
Petterson: Drafted 2017... success right off the bat.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Non-sense. Larsson is an actual center. The only legit center ahead of him is Dvorak. Pitlick, Caggiula, and Hayden are not centers. I don’t think any of them took more than 20 face offs last year. I know Pitlick didnt, I watch most Flyers games.

Schmaltz maybe, but he’s not very good at the center position. And I say that as a big fan of his offensive creativity.

Hayton maybe, but only if you count his junior credentials. I don’t. He hasn’t shown me anything at the professional level. I think he’s a bust personally, and would absolutely trade him while he has value. And before hbk comes in and says “watch his world juniors”. I did. They were impressive. I was excited. Still looks awful at the nhl level.

Hayton is 20. Give him time. He needs to play centre.

Similar argument with Schmaltz. He's only 24.

rt

May 13, 2004
Just to quickly comment on the Hayton at 5th overall expectations:

Here is a list of players selected at 5th overall and what year they had a decent year or breakout year after that. OF course, decent is subjective but I tried to make it fair.

Blake Wheeler: Drafted 04, First decent year 08-09, True breakout year 11-12
Brayden Schenn: Drafted 09, First decent year 2012-13
Kessel: Drafted 06, First good year 07-08, Broke out the year after (He was quicker to breakout obviously)
Niederreiter: Drafted 2010, First decent year 2013-14.
Elias Lindholm: Drafted 2013, First decent year 2014-15, Steady increase after that.
Petterson: Drafted 2017... success right off the bat.
Great post! Thank you!

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

I disagree. I don’t BA is looking at energy guys. He already did that. This team has no reliable skill, no scoring talent, and no hope on the PP with the weapons they currently have. They desperately need offensive talent. I think AA and Vatanen are exactly the kind of guys they should be looking to add.

AA is a bit of a one-trick-pony, brain-dead, puck-hog, but at least he can score. Can’t really say that for the rest of our team.

Haha. I'm dumb.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

AA is exactly the type of player you need to keep away from Tocchet. He has zero interest in playing within a system and completely f***s up whatever line he is on matchup wise. You already have that problem with Kessel. Signing AA would be acceptable if Kessel is traded/waived/whatever, but BA should have nothing to do with him at the moment.

BA has managed to very carefully increase the team's edge 5v5. One bad fit can piss it all away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->