Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Trade Stepan to Ottawa for 2021 2nd Round Pick [from CBJ]

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think this means that Sullivan was working on the trade when BA took over. It was already in the works when he arrived.

I also don't view dumping Stepan as tanking. He isn't that good. According to this, he should've been a cap dump.

Larsson can take over his defensive responsibilities. And hopefully Hayton can improve on what he produced offensively, which wasn't much. It would be nice to add Brassard for some depth.

I agree that this could have been something that was worked on well prior.

If the Hall idea had worked properly, the team would have had to make deals like this anyhow, so it would not surprise me to have seen the previous regime kick the tires on value proposition, and this was one that was still on the table.

No one should be overly disappointed with this as the return.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I’m thinking Stepan at the TDL would be in the 2nd round range. With that acquiring team likely having a better record then Columbus, so I don’t see any problem with making the move now vs waiting,

Columbus' second should sadly be the worst of their three seconds, but so good - so relieving - to fix the cap-issues, and freeing up a roster-spot for some rotation from the taxi-squad. That's probably exactly the kind of second you could get on the trade deadline. But good work, getting it done.

Reactions: Jakey53

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Stastny went from Vegas to Winnipeg for a 4th, so value seems pretty good in this cap-constrained off season. Makes me wonder if GMs that have cap space are only willing to help the cap-constrained teams if there's a discount involved.

I think we could have done better at the deadline but this is a culture statement for Bill and I can definitely support that.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Huh, I feel like we could've got more with a mid season trade retaining 50%. Don't hate it but if that's the price without retention I think a 1st May have been possible.

Also Schmaltz and Hayton are probably 2C and 3C now.
Who cares. BA knows exactly what type of player he is on and off the ice. In my opinion this speaks volumes of the character of Stepan. If OEL stays, I expect him to have a stellar year. I suspected a bit of a rift between the two.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Got a hole in the center position. We now have cap space.
The deal happened after all the available UFA centers were taken.
I notice that the Preds are collecting centers and still don't have Kunin signed, what's with that? Will they try to dump Duchene?
Is Soderstrom ready right now? How much value does Demer have in a trade?
After getting another center can we be focussed on getting Chychrun a partner?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's like free agency all over again but now owners know they will actually be playing.

Smidge underwhelmed by the return but it's fine enough for me to like the trade. Love how RT lost a favorite, probably a couple inches on his leash and we created more room for some kids to get playing time. Oh yeah and Uncle Step won't be having Bud Lite sponsored pool parties at his place after every home game anymore
RT losing his top TOI forward. Forcing RT to play Hayton. Like you said, RT's leash just got tightened. :thumbu: 2020 is ending great.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Yeah, well. Giving this is a contract-year for Stepan, he knows he has to have a great season to get a final, good contract. The fact the team now has lost so much of the great PK-units is hurting. Ottawa will probably get a lot more for him at the deadline if they want to. Still, had to be done.

Unless you rather would have traded out some of the stars, as in Keller, Dvorak or Chychrun.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is a good trade and a turn that is sorely needed but I can't help but think that this is not adecent roster as is. They might be fine in the "try hard" dept but doesn't look good in skill level. Oh well at least its a good year to burn I guess??
When BA said he has a five year plan, we all knew he was going for a rebuild. There will be more trades to come for sure. When haven't we needed skill?

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
How do you figure?

Can't be so close to the cap, it's a danger of getting roll-overs to next year if there are any bonuses and all of that. Can't be so close, it's hard to sign players if you really want to. Can't be so close, every trade-partner thinks it can be taken advantage of... so this is better. Also, it's about not only having players you have to waive if you want to shake up the roster a little. I know. Injuries may change that last narrative. But look at that roster at capfriendly, only forward not needing waivers are Hayton, 12 forwards needing waivers. Ugh.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Stastny went from Vegas to Winnipeg for a 4th, so value seems pretty good in this cap-constrained off season. Makes me wonder if GMs that have cap space are only willing to help the cap-constrained teams if there's a discount involved.

I think we could have done better at the deadline but this is a culture statement for Bill and I can definitely support that.
Securing a guaranteed 2nd now is worth something extra. There’s no certainty that he’d return anything at all at the TDL. He could struggle or be injured.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
@rt

Brassard is not a center anymore, he can’t play that position unless injuries are out of control.

also, isles have deals in place for sure for Martin, Greene and Schneider. There’s a possibility there is one for Brassard too

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

but more move(s) could still be made before camp - LOVE that part. I think the team has at least a shot to be interesting if we can add a legit goal scorer.

Stepan is in the last year of his contract so I expect him to have a better year. Obviously he's already rich but I have to believe he's motivated to try and get one more decent contract. That being said, it's much better for us to take the second now. He could get hurt or his numbers could always get worse with our offensiveless team. Plus, in the situation we're in, I think we'd all rather see someone that's going to be around for the future get those minutes. Tocc was going to give Stepan big minutes if he was here. Only way for Armstrong to keep that from happening was to get him off the roster. So far Armstrong is performing exactly as advertised. Gotta be happy with that.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Just woke up to this news and it's still very early in BA's reign but the fact that he got a 2nd rounder out of Stepan's deadweight contract with no retention or having to eat someone else's bad contract is simply flabbergasting me.

Poor Step. All he wants to do is bro out and play puck, and now he's gone from one dumpster fire to another. Meanwhile, we now have six and a half million in cap space opened up to make some adjustments. Now if we could find a patsy to take Kessel's millstone...

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Just woke up to this news and it's still very early in BA's reign but the fact that he got a 2nd rounder out of Stepan's deadweight contract with no retention or having to eat someone else's bad contract is simply flabbergasting me.

Poor Step. All he wants to do is bro out and play puck, and now he's gone from one dumpster fire to another. Meanwhile, we now have six and a half million in cap space opened up to make some adjustments. Now if we could find a patsy to take Kessel's millstone...

Tamp just lost a big time scorer. I wonder if they'd roll the dice on Kessel having a bounce back year playing with a high scoring team. Obviously we'd have to retain but they're a cup favorite so would it make sense?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Securing a guaranteed 2nd now is worth something extra. There’s no certainty that he’d return anything at all at the TDL. He could struggle or be injured.
The fact we didn’t retain cap/salary is a Christmas miracle. Ottawa was virtually the only team that would consider such a move without retention.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tamp just lost a big time scorer. I wonder if they'd roll the dice on Kessel having a bounce back year playing with a high scoring team. Obviously we'd have to retain but they're a cup favorite so would it make sense?
Retaining 50% on Kessel would mean rating only 500k in real dollars this season. Would be nice. But I think the extra year would kill Tampa’s interest.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I’ll agree if they actually use the space. If it just sits there unused all season, there isn’t a whole lot to celebrate, here.
As a draft geek i appreciate having something to look forward to at the draft. I think they will make another move on D before we start the season. Demers most likely but maybe an OEL move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad