TSN: Coyotes targeting Duchene, potential capital infusion with new ownership?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Stepan, Dvo, Richardson and Hayton would be the best 2-5 we've had at center that I can remember. I'd be thrilled with that. I don't know what you guys are talking about with Stepan. He'd be a solid #2. They are paying Dvo to develop into that #2 spot already but he'll have to prove it first. Until then I think we'd be fortunate with Stepan as the #2.

I agree. Why get rid of Stepan even if we sign Duchene? He is still our best C, and would be #2 behind Duchene until proven otherwise. Cut cap elsewhere but not at C. If DVO and Hayton pass him next year, then its a different story. Nobody wanted or thought Richardson was still useful and look at the year he had. Stepan could bounce back in points a little next year. Other then PPG, he is solid in all 3 zones.

Dvo is at 4.45 for six years. Hayton is on an ELC for at least three more years. Those are the only people that maybe pass Stepan (and/or Hayes).

Stepan's contract drops off the books at two years max. Richardson has a single year left at $1.125M, and would be eligible for a 35+ contract after this this.

It's a complete nonissue.

Zero reason not to add a center (or even two).
Tell me if I'm wrong, but when you add Hossa into the equation we will have about 14 mill cap room. Say we sign Duchene at 9.5, we have about 4.5 of cap flexibility, and that is without signing any of our RFA's. Most want to add a scoring winger or two. The numbers don't add up. Who are you going to add? Who are you going to trade? You can talk about Stepan's contract coming off the books in two years and Richardson (who makes peanuts) after this year, but what about NOW? Stepan, Dvo, Richardson and Hayton is weak. Not one had 40 pts. last year. A bunch of what if's in that group. Why do you think Chayka is after Duchene or Hayes, and that is after saying he sees Schmaltz as a C, which I think is nuts.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If the Coyote's sign a decent free agent center and extend Crouse there simply won't be any money left to fill out the roster. Someone not young playing on the 3rd or 4th lines for too much money will have to go. In a Cap NHL you really can't afford much more than $1.5 million average on 3rd and 4th lines if you have 1st line Cap hits. A 3rd pairing D at 4 million hit or a center at over 4 million makes it difficult to upgrade the wings for top 2 lines.
Exactly.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If you need to add more room after signing Duchene, you ship out Goligoski and accept getting sub-par return. You have Duchene (~$10M), Stepan ($6.5M), Dvo ($4.45M), Richardson ($1.125M), and possibly Hayton on his ELC (>$1M).

It's fantasy land pretending it's a huge problem in the making. You don't even have to qualify Archibald and Cousins if you're landing another scoring winger. Those are the guys getting bounced out by NHL depth.

Let's add a real center before worrying about how to add more wingers.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you need to add more room after signing Duchene, you ship out Goligoski and accept getting sub-par return. You have Duchene (~$10M), Stepan ($6.5M), Dvo ($4.45M), Richardson ($1.125M), and possibly Hayton on his ELC (>$1M).

It's fantasy land pretending it's a huge problem in the making. You don't even have to qualify Archibald and Cousins if you're landing another scoring winger. Those are the guys getting bounced out by NHL depth.

I would rather keep Gogo than Stepan. I just looked at our cap and we have 13 mill. We sign Duchene for 9.5, and Crouse for 2 mill. plus Hayton at .9 and that's all she wrote. We can't even quality Cousins or anybody else. I just don't see us signing Duchene. Signing Hayes will allow us to add depth in Cousins, but either way, forget about adding a scoring winger. If you want that scoring winger, Stepan or Gogo have to go and Gogo controls his destiny. Chayka likes to wheel and deal, so let's see what happens.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I agree, adding a real 1C in Duchene is so important, we can let the rest fall into place. All of a sudden Stepan/DVO/Richardson are all way more effective and get easier matchups. That in turn makes the wingers much better. You get improvement up and down the line up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree, adding a real 1C in Duchene is so important, we can let the rest fall into place. All of a sudden Stepan/DVO/Richardson are all way more effective and get easier matchups. That in turn makes the wingers much better. You get improvement up and down the line up.
If Chayka wants just a little bitty tinny bit of cap space we won't be signing Duchene, rather another 2C like Hayes, and maybe a so so scoring winger. It could end up we have the same C's as last year. Chayka says he will be active and expects to execute. Time will tell, but I think Duchene is a pipe dream.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Can you either stop acting like an azz or ignore my posts. There have to be moves this year or next or we don't have enough players signed to form a roster. If the intent is to only resign our current roster players.....well frankly that won't be his enough.
So the general business of every other team in the league. Got it. Borrow trouble all you want. Totally pointless.

The ignore button works for you too. If you’ve got the problem, you use it.

rt

May 13, 2004
Tell me if I'm wrong, but when you add Hossa into the equation we will have about 14 mill cap room. Say we sign Duchene at 9.5, we have about 4.5 of cap flexibility, and that is without signing any of our RFA's. Most want to add a scoring winger or two. The numbers don't add up. Who are you going to add? Who are you going to trade? You can talk about Stepan's contract coming off the books in two years and Richardson (who makes peanuts) after this year, but what about NOW? Stepan, Dvo, Richardson and Hayton is weak. Not one had 40 pts. last year. A bunch of what if's in that group. Why do you think Chayka is after Duchene or Hayes, and that is after saying he sees Schmaltz as a C, which I think is nuts.
This is all very simple. If we we are able to exploit our 2% odds of signing Duchene, we dump some contracts over the course of the next twelve months.

rt

May 13, 2004
I would rather keep Gogo than Stepan. I just looked at our cap and we have 13 mill. We sign Duchene for 9.5, and Crouse for 2 mill. plus Hayton at .9 and that's all she wrote. We can't even quality Cousins or anybody else. I just don't see us signing Duchene. Signing Hayes will allow us to add depth in Cousins, but either way, forget about adding a scoring winger. If you want that scoring winger, Stepan or Gogo have to go and Gogo controls his destiny. Chayka likes to wheel and deal, so let's see what happens.
You don’t need more than that for a year.

rt

May 13, 2004

Exactly. This is the most asinine discussion of 2019 on this forum.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

This is where I was suggesting that maybe a player like Dvorak or Chychrun is in that right age and salary combo to possibly get us an over-the-top type of talent. Sign Duchene and our list for center has a lot more flexibility to it.

Duchene
Schmaltz
Stepan
Dvorak
Richardson
Galchenyuk
Hayton

All could theoretically play C next season.

Do what we did with Goligoski and acquire Duchene before the draft in order to get him locked up prior. With that depth chart available to play C (although Galchenyuk should be at LW and Schmaltz would be at RW), we have a ton of options to go forward with at the draft. Dvorak has the right salary number and player value to where we could net something big, if that is the best direction for the team. Maybe Dvorak brings what a player like Goligoski or valuable picks alone couldn't make up for in trade value.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Can you either stop acting like an azz or ignore my posts. There have to be moves this year or next or we don't have enough players signed to form a roster. If the intent is to only resign our current roster players.....well frankly that won't be his enough.

Are you talking about the Leafs? Cause yeah I don't think you guys have the cap to sign/re-sign everyone without moves.

Reactions: _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Exactly. This is the most asinine discussion of 2019 on this forum.
Ok, you want to keep Stepan and sign Duchene? What about the one or two scoring wingers you all wanted? It comes down to Chayka's priorities. You and Del say trade Gogo. Ok, Chick hasn't had a year without injuries, Capo is not ready and that leaves our LD pretty slim, and besides I believe Gogo has a M NTC. We are up against the cap no matter how you look at it, unless we do nothing, but Chayka expects to be active. It's going to be interesting.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is where I was suggesting that maybe a player like Dvorak or Chychrun is in that right age and salary combo to possibly get us an over-the-top type of talent. Sign Duchene and our list for center has a lot more flexibility to it.

Duchene
Schmaltz
Stepan
Dvorak
Richardson
Galchenyuk
Hayton

All could theoretically play C next season.

Do what we did with Goligoski and acquire Duchene before the draft in order to get him locked up prior. With that depth chart available to play C (although Galchenyuk should be at LW and Schmaltz would be at RW), we have a ton of options to go forward with at the draft. Dvorak has the right salary number and player value to where we could net something big, if that is the best direction for the team. Maybe Dvorak brings what a player like Goligoski or valuable picks alone couldn't make up for in trade value.
I don't think many want to move DVO, me included, but who knows with Chayka. In your scenario you have Stepan as 3C. In the cap world, you can't pay your 3C 5 mill.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Ok, you want to keep Stepan and sign Duchene? What about the one or two scoring wingers you all wanted? It comes down to Chayka's priorities. You and Del say trade Gogo. Ok, Chick hasn't had a year without injuries, Capo is not ready and that leaves our LD pretty slim, and besides I believe Gogo has a M NTC. We are up against the cap no matter how you look at it, unless we do nothing, but Chayka expects to be active. It's going to be interesting.

Keep Step and sign Duchene yes.

If that falls through shift the attention to scoring wingers. Having someone like Duchene at the top line center moves our other centers down a line.

Keller - Duchene - Schmaltz
Galchenyuk - Dvo - Garland
Crouse - Stepan - Fischer
Grabner - Richie - Vinnie

The middle six right wingers need help, but if we have to start the season with this, I’m fine. If we are in playoff contention come deadline we can add a scoring winger to the mix. But that’s 6 months away.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

May 13, 2004
1. Brain dead simple: Schmaltz is your scoring winger. Problem solved. You're welcome.

2. Goligoski is a declining asset and given our defensive prowess, a bit of a luxury at his salary. This has to be dealt with next summer, Duchene or no Duchene.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

May 13, 2004
Keep Step and sign Duchene yes.

If that falls through shift the attention to scoring wingers. Having someone like Duchene at the top line center moves our other centers down a line.

Keller - Duchene - Schmaltz
Galchenyuk - Dvo - Garland
Crouse - Stepan - Fischer
Grabner - Richie - Vinnie

The middle six right wingers need help, but if we have to start the season with this, I’m fine. If we are in playoff contention come deadline we can add a scoring winger to the mix. But that’s 6 months away.
Correct. Adding a top center, automatically generates a winger (Schmaltz). Adding a top center is more than enough for a single off season. It’s PLENTY. Nothing else needs to be done until at least the deadline.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You can pay Stepan $6.5M because you're not paying everyone above him. Dvo is at $4.45M and Hayton would be on an ELC. That's where he "takes" money from.

It is not an issue. We aren't carrying 8D when healthy. Fischer is gone, imo. Thats almost $2M. Crouse shouldn't exceed that. That's $4.5M left.

Vinnie- Duchene- Galchenyuk
Mystery/fantasy winger - Stepan- Schmaltz
Crouse- Dvo- Keller
Grabner- Richardson - Garland

Cousins and Archibald are extra bodies and should be paid as such. We don't need both and one should walk or be buried in Tucson. That's ~$3.5M for a winger. Presumably, a trade for a $3.5M+ costs us a roster player. That's more money. Burying/trading/waiving KConn would bring cap savings. Etc, etc.

This is almost purely a fantasy scenario anyway, but it still doesn't put us in any sort of extreme jeopardy or bind.

Of all the things to pretend angst about, this is one of the dumbest.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Dvo is at 4.45 for six years. Hayton is on an ELC for at least three more years. Those are the only people that maybe pass Stepan (and/or Hayes).

Stepan's contract drops off the books at two years max. Richardson has a single year left at $1.125M, and would be eligible for a 35+ contract after this this.

It's a complete nonissue.

Zero reason not to add a center (or even two).
Exactly, Stepan's contract expires at the time you expect Hayton to fully move into Step's role. Still need add at least another center.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You can pay Stepan $6.5M because you're not paying everyone above him. Dvo is at $4.45M and Hayton would be on an ELC. That's where he "takes" money from.

It is not an issue. We aren't carrying 8D when healthy. Fischer is gone, imo. Thats almost $2M. Crouse shouldn't exceed that. That's $4.5M left.

Vinnie- Duchene- Galchenyuk
Mystery/fantasy winger - Stepan- Schmaltz
Crouse- Dvo- Keller
Grabner- Richardson - Garland

Cousins and Archibald are extra bodies and should be paid as such. We don't need both and one should walk or be buried in Tucson. That's ~$3.5M for a winger. Presumably, a trade for a $3.5M+ costs us a roster player. That's more money. Burying/trading/waiving KConn would bring cap savings. Etc, etc.

This is almost purely a fantasy scenario anyway, but it still doesn't put us in any sort of extreme jeopardy or bind.

Of all the things to pretend angst about, this is one of the dumbest.
The discussion is Stepan as a number 3 center if by some miracle the Coyotes can sign Duchene. As for the needing to add part of my thoughts, we will be one of several teams pitching to Duchene. Part of that pitch with be the "plan". If that plan involves only signing Duchene in next couple of years the conversation might be pretty short unless you are a lot more optimistic for this roster than I am.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Are you talking about the Leafs? Cause yeah I don't think you guys have the cap to sign/re-sign everyone without moves.
Sit back and read this and try to get it to make some sense, the Leafs have more Cap space than the Coyotes. And they both have Cap issues to iron out to sign a premier player.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't think many want to move DVO, me included, but who knows with Chayka. In your scenario you have Stepan as 3C. In the cap world, you can't pay your 3C 5 mill.

If you wind up moving Schmaltz out of the C role by signing Duchene, then Stepan winds up as your #2. All that I am implying is that the flexibility is there to move some pieces.

This is probably a bad example, but let's say that we receive word that Taylor Hall is not keen on returning to New Jersey and there is some interest on his part to sign a long-term extension with the Coyotes. His last year this year finishes up a $6 M AAV.

If there was a good chance that Hall was going to sign an extension, would you be willing to deal Dvorak, Fischer, and #14 (probably need some other additions) for Hall's final year?

Hall-Duchene-Keller
Galchenyuk-Stepan-Schmaltz
Grabner-Richardson-Hinostroza
Crouse-Cousins-Garland
Hayton

OEL-Demers
Chychrun-Hjalmarsson
Oesterle-Goligoski
Connauton-Lyubushkin

Raanta
Kuemper

This assumes the following:

Duchene - 7 years, $9.6 M AAV
Cousins - 2 years, $1.1 M AAV
Crouse - 2 years, $1.8 M AAV

Hall would probably be in the same range as Duchene for an extension ($9-10 M AAV starting next year).

This would leave us at $83.3 M on the cap hit. Easy trade of Hossa, Connauton, Oesterle, or Goligoski gets us under.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
1. Brain dead simple: Schmaltz is your scoring winger. Problem solved. You're welcome.

2. Goligoski is a declining asset and given our defensive prowess, a bit of a luxury at his salary. This has to be dealt with next summer, Duchene or no Duchene.

Correct. Adding a top center, automatically generates a winger (Schmaltz). Adding a top center is more than enough for a single off season. It’s PLENTY. Nothing else needs to be done until at least the deadline.
Maybe, but Chayka wants Schmaltz as a C. I think it was you that also wants Schmaltz as a C.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would not move anything worthwhile for Hall (or Kreider, etc.) without an extension in hand.
It would be position dependant for me as in standings. If we were near the top and a great 1st line rental was available I would give up an asset for the chance as you just never know???

Reactions: Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad