TSN: Coyotes targeting Duchene, potential capital infusion with new ownership?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Duchene will eat up most if not all of Stepan's PP time, and DVO can eat up more PK time as well. Chucky can play C in a pinch, and the way it sounds they want to try Schmaltz at C.
If Stepan is your 3C, you're in good shape. Step's ability to play in all situations and with the leadership he brings he'd be one of the best 3C's in the NHL.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If Stepan is your 3C, you're in good shape. Step's ability to play in all situations and with the leadership he brings he'd be one of the best 3C's in the NHL.
Not sure how a $6.5 million 3C can work in a Cap world? You would have to be very weak elsewhere to make that up.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
$6.5M 3C is a big problem-- if your top two C's are both making more than that. Ours would not be. Problem solved.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
$6.5M 3C is a big problem-- if your top two C's are both making more than that. Ours would not be. Problem solved.
Doubtful in that case that Stepan is your number 3 then. Problem back on.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Dvorak will jump Stepan when he actually jumps Stepan.

This. Dvorak needs to out perform Stepan. Hasn’t happened yet.

Once this happens, Stepan becomes an expensive 3C. Until then Stepan is our best center. If we get Duchene, Stepan is a #2 center. Yeah, that sucks. But it would be the best we can do.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Stepan, Dvo, Richardson and Hayton would be the best 2-5 we've had at center that I can remember. I'd be thrilled with that. I don't know what you guys are talking about with Stepan. He'd be a solid #2. They are paying Dvo to develop into that #2 spot already but he'll have to prove it first. Until then I think we'd be fortunate with Stepan as the #2.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Stepan, Dvo, Richardson and Hayton would be the best 2-5 we've had at center that I can remember. I'd be thrilled with that. I don't know what you guys are talking about with Stepan. He'd be a solid #2. They are paying Dvo to develop into that #2 spot already but he'll have to prove it first. Until then I think we'd be fortunate with Stepan as the #2.
I agree. Why get rid of Stepan even if we sign Duchene? He is still our best C, and would be #2 behind Duchene until proven otherwise. Cut cap elsewhere but not at C. If DVO and Hayton pass him next year, then its a different story. Nobody wanted or thought Richardson was still useful and look at the year he had. Stepan could bounce back in points a little next year. Other then PPG, he is solid in all 3 zones.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Dvo is at 4.45 for six years. Hayton is on an ELC for at least three more years. Those are the only people that maybe pass Stepan (and/or Hayes).

Stepan's contract drops off the books at two years max. Richardson has a single year left at $1.125M, and would be eligible for a 35+ contract after this this.

It's a complete nonissue.

Zero reason not to add a center (or even two).

Reactions: rt

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Free up Stepan's $6.5M cap hit, while we still don't know if Galchenyuk will re-sign? Stepan can always play on the right wing if needed. I have thought about if the Wild would overpay for Stepan, and what the return would be.(moving up 2spots in the 1st round could be part of it).
We do have a pretty full roster, I'm expecting trades during the draft. Too bad we can't talk to free agents before the draft.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If the Coyote's sign a decent free agent center and extend Crouse there simply won't be any money left to fill out the roster. Someone not young playing on the 3rd or 4th lines for too much money will have to go. In a Cap NHL you really can't afford much more than $1.5 million average on 3rd and 4th lines if you have 1st line Cap hits. A 3rd pairing D at 4 million hit or a center at over 4 million makes it difficult to upgrade the wings for top 2 lines.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
If the Coyote's sign a decent free agent center and extend Crouse there simply won't be any money left to fill out the roster. Someone not young playing on the 3rd or 4th lines for too much money will have to go. In a Cap NHL you really can't afford much more than $1.5 million average on 3rd and 4th lines if you have 1st line Cap hits. A 3rd pairing D at 4 million hit or a center at over 4 million makes it difficult to upgrade the wings for top 2 lines.

Get rid of Goligoski and Hossa. The money/cap issue is no longer an issue

Reactions: 0point1

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That more than enough for next season. The season after won’t be a problem as Hossa, Stepan, and Goligoski can go. That’s all twelve months away.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That more than enough for next season. The season after won’t be a problem as Hossa, Stepan, and Goligoski can go. That’s all twelve months away.
$13 million roughly available if we are talking Duchene and Crouse that leaves almost nothing for any other moves. I think you need to upgrade more upfront if you want to take the next step. The following season will only see money for our own free agents if you can get rid of the 3 mentioned.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
$13 million roughly available if we are talking Duchene and Crouse that leaves almost nothing for any other moves. I think you need to upgrade more upfront if you want to take the next step. The following season will only see money for our own free agents if you can get rid of the 3 mentioned.
There are no other moves. What the f*** are you talking about? You think we’re going to add Duchene and then add MORE?!?!? That’s absurd.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
There are no other moves. What the **** are you talking about? You think we’re going to add Duchene and then add MORE?!?!? That’s absurd.
Can you either stop acting like an azz or ignore my posts. There have to be moves this year or next or we don't have enough players signed to form a roster. If the intent is to only resign our current roster players.....well frankly that won't be his enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad